2016 Election - Trump: How Did Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Can Trump Really Win the Presidency?

If Cruz would have spoke thru out his campaign like his concession speech, he would have done much better.
Al Gore in 2000 was the same way. I heard his speech on the radio and I'm thinking, "Gee, if he'd been like THAT during the race, I might have voted for him."

Another strange one was Ford's speech at the 1988 GOP Convention. Ford had always been a bumbling oaf. He gave one helluva speech that night, so much so that my Dad (I had no recollection of Ford being Prez) was watching and was very impressed, saying, "Man, he oughta be running - but when he was there, he couldn't give a speech to save his life."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

He did, very few listened or were even given the opportunity with the 24/7 Trump coverage. It is sad that a true conservative will not be on the ballot but it is what it is. Those who did this can now be very proud or ashamed, we'll see.
no true conservative ...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Another point to consider is who, if elected, would be more "Presidential" towards other not-so-friendly nations.
Donald Trump, though highly criticized for certain business practices, looks like he'd stand toe to toe with the best of them.

Ted Cruz, though a man who has stood by his Conservatism through the entire campaign, looks weak in comparison, even to the extent that he would probably sink to his knees and cry at the merest of threats.

Thoughts?
Seriously? Ted stands up alllll the time and fights. Usually he doesn't whine and complain about the attacks. It was clear he knew his time was over when he unloaded on Donald. What was pathetic is how not one media outlet put the response in context i.e. responding about the claim that his dad was in cahoots with freaking Lee Harvey Oswald with the implications that he was part of the Kennedy assassination. He reacted. I'm shocked it took this long.

As far as standing toe to toe...???

Your saying a guy who literally changes position with the wind will stand up on principle. If you say so. He whines more than any adult man I've ever seen then says he'll sue you. That's our brave hero and champion? Not me not ever.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

IMO, people really aren't voting for Trump, they are voting for an idea, a concept. That's why Trump can say things that would normally eliminate him from the running but have no effect here. He may be unstoppable.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008

This graph is a few years old (the numbers are likely higher now), but it does show the generational disparity on this particular issue with regard to GOP voters. And though I don't have the time to look right now, I'd expect to see the same trend for nearly all mainstream social issues.

They've also grown up where they don't keep score, everyone gets a medal, and dodge ball is sanctioned bullying.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008

Cruz never stood a chance.

IMHO, bowing out tonight is the most presidential-like act he has done since he began his campaign.

His mistake was even to comment on any of the Trump attacks. He should have just concentrated on telling Americans stuff that was important and trying to explain how he would make the best candidate. He got sucked into the Trump vortex.

Sorry Great Hope....I know you liked him....just my opinion....nothing personal.
And the next time Trump acts presidential will be his first.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

And the next time Trump acts presidential will be his first.
It's not in his DNA.....

Oh -- people just don't realize how bad a turn our future took last night.

Hilary will win -- we just need to hope her VP choice is a good one....but I doubt it. I doubt it a lot.

Trump won't choose an ultra conservative as a VP.....you can bank on that. I'm guessing it will be Kasich

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

IMO, people really aren't voting for Trump, they are voting for an idea, a concept. That's why Trump can say things that would normally eliminate him from the running but have no effect here. He may be unstoppable.
I believe you're correct. He's galvanized people like Bernie has, and he's winning (won?) the nomination at this point...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

You may be correct. But I think Hillary is going to mop the floor with him. It will be fascinating to watch it all unfold. Will all of Cruz/Kasich/Marco voters suck it up and vote for him? Will he be able to "widen the net" so to speak and bring in atypical Republican voters? Folks that would have voted Bernie. Can he win Pennsylvania, or even New York and California?

I know this. I will not vote for the man. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point, but I will not vote Trump and I would never vote for Hillary. I know people are voting for an idea of political revolution against the established Washington D.C. environment. My problem with that is you are still going to vote for a human being that is going to make decisions. It is utterly ridiculous to get caught up in an idea, a campaign, and ignore the individual that is supposedly holding the place of that idea. I know people here disagree with me, and that's ok, but I believe that is essentially what happened with Barack Obama.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

If you mean "unstoppable" for the nomination, I think the "may" is now superfluous. If you mean for president, I don't believe so. He's the only candidate the Republicans could have put up with higher negatives than Hillary...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

You are spot on, my friend. The next few months will tell us little about the candidates (we already know them), but much about America.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

But just remember everybody - we've been told since 1980 that if the GOP would just run a more moderate candidate, they'd win.

Well - we're about to see what a lie that has always been for sure. (I knew it years ago but oh well).

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

But just remember everybody - we've been told since 1980 that if the GOP would just run a more moderate candidate, they'd win.

Well - we're about to see what a lie that has always been for sure. (I knew it years ago but oh well).
I get that he may be less draconian on women's and LGBT issues than other members of the GOP. But I can't label someone as "moderate" with his views on foreign policy and immigration. His stances shift, but these have all been suggested in the past few months:

- Bring back waterboarding and "much tougher" interrogation techniques
- Murder the families of ISIS members
- Ban Muslim immigration to the US
- Have American oil companies seize Syrian and Iraqi oil
- Wage economic war on China and Mexico
- Punish Mexican immigration (also, the wall thing)
- Possibly (?) register Muslim-Americans on a federal list
- Possibly (?) have China assassinate Kim Jong Un

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Tiffany Trump has served as an ultimate sacrifice to the Lord of Light, and he is pleased. The final leech withers and burns in the roaring flames. Outside, the hounds bay and howl. The winds have changed. The President Who Was Promised is being born amongst the blood and fire.

Ivanka laughs as she speaks. "John Kasich. The usurper. Valar morghulis."

Donald rises from his chair, the firelight dancing amid the swirls of his Sharper Image steel blade. He speaks with the confidence of destiny.

"Look, all men must die, okay?" And I hear this all the time. People everywhere ask me what we're going to do about death. And we're going to do great things, okay? I can absolutely tell you that. Great things. I've got the best people. The best, okay? You're not going to believe how alive you'll be. We're going to make Westeros great again."

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005

Well if they can't win with a conservative, and they can't win with a moderate, who the heck can they win with?
They can't...and won't for the foreseeable future. The social tide in this country has shifted toward inclusion and welfare, plus the amount of minorities, with Hispanics rapidly heading toward majority, will ensure liberal victories from now on. We are going to end up with a liberal Supreme Court, so that check is out, although Chief Justice Roberts has not shown himself to be socially conservative. The legislature could easily tip back toward the Democrats. I think that, as a conservative, Hilary is the better option -- sure, it'll be an all out war on traditional values, but that might be better than Trump getting us into an all out war with China or Russia.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Okay, now that Kasich is out one day after Cruz -- does anyone doubt that Kasich was paid to stay in the race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop : FLASH SALE 25% off !

TideFans.shop 25% off sitewide!!
TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.