Academics Are So Lefty They Don't Even See It

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Whenever I run across a Megan McArdle article, I make a point to read it. Here's another good read:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-01-07/academics-are-so-lefty-they-don-t-even-see-it

In fact, few other professional spheres are as strongly skewed to the right as academia is to the left; when I looked into this a few years ago, the only professional group I could find with a similar rightward skew was Southern Baptist ministers, a comparison that neither group probably finds very flattering. Military officers are weakly conservative (two-thirds to one-third), but the enlisted are less so, and whether your business skews Democratic or Republican varies by industry and job description. Professors really do stand out as extremely politically concentrated on the left in a way that few other groups are, especially in areas like social psychology.
The real-life example she describes in the article is chilling.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Whenever I run across a Megan McArdle article, I make a point to read it. Here's another good read:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-01-07/academics-are-so-lefty-they-don-t-even-see-it

The real-life example she describes in the article is chilling.
sorry but if you do your undergrad at a "University" that teaches the earth and the universe to be 6,000 years old you should expect to be ridiculed and dismissed when applying for grad school. Was it wrong the way these people did it? Sure, they sound like jerks, they never should have dismissed that candidate for non-valid reason, especially when there are so many valid ones. Does Liberty or Bob Jones offer graduate degrees on Creationism? Think they'd accept a student with an ambiguously androgynous name with undergrad degree in Genetics from Cal Berkley? Think they'd criticize and ridicule? Of course they would, assuming that either of the "Schools" have actual standards for their grad programs.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
whatever

get a joke education and expect to be treated like a joke

that is all that is going on here
Does your critique apply to her modified example as well? People who go to an HBCU have joke degrees and can't possibly be good enough for a graduate program at a prestigious school?

Likewise, what about a county high school (e.g. my alma mater in Shelby County, AL)? Are such low-brow high schools joke schools such that a graduate isn't good enough for a prestigious undergraduate program?

Is there really only a limited slice of the socio-economic spectrum that deserves a position at a prestigious graduate/undergraduate program?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Does your critique apply to her modified example as well? People who go to an HBCU have joke degrees and can't possibly be good enough for a graduate program at a prestigious school?

Likewise, what about a county high school (e.g. my alma mater in Shelby County, AL)? Are such low-brow high schools joke schools such that a graduate isn't good enough for a prestigious undergraduate program?

Is there really only a limited slice of the socio-economic spectrum that deserves a position at a prestigious graduate/undergraduate program?
People who go to a HBCU can't be good enough for a prestigious program? You really hold this belief? Does she? Says a lot about you if you do, not that it surprises me frankly. Her too.

Same with country high's, brilliant people can come from anywhere. But a Recent High school Grad with a Young Earth Creationist education applying to my Undergrad Biology program? I'd pass for a qualified student.

has nothing at all to do with anything socioeconomic though I do appreciate the ham handed strawman

Education is all that matters here. There is not even the slightest shred of evidence to support a six thousand year old earth, none. It's not a claim to be taken seriously and should be ridiculed.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Education is all that matters here. There is not even the slightest shred of evidence to support a six thousand year old earth, none. It's not a claim to be taken seriously and should be ridiculed.
All people who go to Christian colleges are Young Earthers? Okay. Or more specifically, all Liberty graduates are Young Earthers? Okay.

The individual was applying for a linguistics graduate program by the way, not a geology program.

Last edited:

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
sorry but if you do your undergrad at a "University" that teaches the earth and the universe to be 6,000 years old you should expect to be ridiculed and dismissed when applying for grad school. Was it wrong the way these people did it? Sure, they sound like jerks, they never should have dismissed that candidate for non-valid reason, especially when there are so many valid ones. Does Liberty or Bob Jones offer graduate degrees on Creationism? Think they'd accept a student with an ambiguously androgynous name with undergrad degree in Genetics from Cal Berkley? Think they'd criticize and ridicule? Of course they would, assuming that either of the "Schools" have actual standards for their grad programs.
I don't know anyone who believes the earth is only 6000 years old never heard that at Church ever

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
All people who go to Christian colleges are Young Earthers? Okay. Or more specifically, all Liberty graduates are Young Earthers? Okay.

The individual was applying for a linguistics graduate program by the way, not a geology program.
removed

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
btw I love how you don't care that I called out your blatant racism

awesome
I assume you read the article. If you did, you would know why I included the HBCU question in my list. And in fact, I referenced the author's modified example (which replaced conservative Chrisitian with HBCU graduate) before including the HBCU question.

Feel free to think of me what you will. I don't care.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I assume you read the article. If you did, you would know why I included the HBCU question in my list. And in fact, I referenced the author's modified example (which replaced conservative Chrisitian with HBCU graduate) before including the HBCU question.

Feel free to think of me what you will. I don't care.
its besides the point and why i removed the post

I read it, it made laugh, I moved on. Using a bigoted argument to argue bigotry without any note of irony.

Move on

what do you think of the facts I presented? Should a student who has been educated in a Young Earth Creation U be taken seriously? Before you respond note the two courses I presented are Mandatory at Liberty

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Given that Liberty is a SACS accredited institution, I would say a students degree in a non-religious major (Business, Nursing, Engineering, etc) is just as a valid as any others from an accredited institution.

Of course, I'm non-biased when it comes to someone's personal beliefs if they are competent for the position and it doesn't affect the job. Weird.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
its besides the point and why i removed the post

I read it, it made laugh, I moved on. Using a bigoted argument to argue bigotry without any note of irony.

Move on

what do you think of the facts I presented? Should a student who has been educated in a Young Earth Creation U be taken seriously? Before you respond note the two courses I presented are Mandatory at Liberty
I really don't care whether or not the class is mandatory. A class does not an expert or even an advocate make. Personally, I like people who are different and even eccentric. Given the opportunity, I'd rather hire or otherwise associate with a talented individual who challenges me. Much more can be achieved in conflict and diversity of thought in my opinion.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
As another note, I can pull out the course catalog for any college or university and find a number of courses that I'd scoff at. But that's really not the point.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I really don't care whether or not the class is mandatory. A class does not an expert or even an advocate make. Personally, I like people who are different and even eccentric. Given the opportunity, I'd rather hire or otherwise associate with a talented individual who challenges me. Much more can be achieved in conflict and diversity of thought in my opinion.
we're not discussing hiring. I know liberty grad that I would hire tomorrow for any technical role without question, dude is brilliant. Staggeringly brilliant

Would not hire him to teach biology though

nor would I want him in my [hypothetical] graduate program

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
As another note, I can pull out the course catalog for any college or university and find a number of courses that I'd scoff at. But that's really not the point.
of course you could, its hardly the point though

you acted as if a YEC worldview wasn't held by any Christians, don't feel like cutting and pasting your quote and I showed you that the very University I brought up Explicitly held and taught this worldview your attempt to derail is however, once again, noted

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.