ESPN3/WatchESPN to stream game synced with Eli and Phil's call

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
I mentioned this in another thread but I thought for some of you it might be a big enough deal for its own thread...

You can stream the game with the CTSN radio call synced up. When I did it for the playoff game it looked great... Not quite HD but I was okay with giving up some quality for Eli and Phil's call. If you use it in a web browser, you can also see both head coaches in windows of their own through the whole game.

The feed was about 30 seconds behind the live game on ESPN, by the way.

ESPN isn't listing this on all their "official" pages for the Megacast (I suppose they're not making a big deal of it because they want you listening to their guys and their promos).

It should be available once the game starts through your web browser at espn3.com, which allowed me to AirPlay it though AppleTV. Don't know if that will happen this time, but it would be worth checking out.

Last edited:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Can i do this on my ipad and stream thru my google chomecast? I dont own any apple products except the ipad, so not really that knowledgeable about apple product.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Does anyone have a copy of the Eli audio from the cotton bowl? TideTv hasn't put up the audio yet...which I find strange.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
To piggyback off your post, Jamie...here's a summary of how ESPN is covering the game..(courtesy of our game thread moderator, Ray Gator).

The 7 ESPN Networks Covering the Game.

ESPN. (Traditional Telecast with Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Heather Cox on Clemson sideline, Tom Rinaldi on Alabama sideline, Rules expert Dave Cutaia, Medical advisement Dr. Jerry Punch.) WatchESPN, espn3 Skycam.

ESPN2. (Film Room with Coach Jim McElwain, Brian Griese, Chris Spielman.)

WatchESPN.

ESPNU. (Play-by-Play Joe Tessitore and analysts Barrett Jones of Alabama and Tajh Boyd of Alabama). / WatchESPN.

ESPN News. (ESPN Voices. Various ESPN personalities in LA watching the game in a living room atmosphere). / WatchESPN.

ESPN Classic. (Sounds of the Game. No announcers, dozens of microphones around the stadium picking up natural sounds of the game). / WatchESPN.

SECN. (Finebaum Film Room with Paul Finebaum, Greg McElroy, Booger McFarland, Arkansas HC Bret Bielema, Pylon Cam). / WatchESPN.

ESPN Radio. (Mike Tirico, Todd Blackledge, Holly Rowe on Alabama sideline, Joe Schad on Clemson sideline, Rules expert Bill LeMonnier).

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Does anyone know if this is all available on watch ESPN?

To piggyback off your post, Jamie...here's a summary of how ESPN is covering the game..(courtesy of our game thread moderator, Ray Gator).

The 7 ESPN Networks Covering the Game.

ESPN. (Traditional Telecast with Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Heather Cox on Clemson sideline, Tom Rinaldi on Alabama sideline, Rules expert Dave Cutaia, Medical advisement Dr. Jerry Punch.) WatchESPN, espn3 Skycam.

ESPN2. (Film Room with Coach Jim McElwain, Brian Griese, Chris Spielman.)

WatchESPN.

ESPNU. (Play-by-Play Joe Tessitore and analysts Barrett Jones of Alabama and Tajh Boyd of Alabama). / WatchESPN.

ESPN News. (ESPN Voices. Various ESPN personalities in LA watching the game in a living room atmosphere). / WatchESPN.

ESPN Classic. (Sounds of the Game. No announcers, dozens of microphones around the stadium picking up natural sounds of the game). / WatchESPN.

SECN. (Finebaum Film Room with Paul Finebaum, Greg McElroy, Booger McFarland, Arkansas HC Bret Bielema, Pylon Cam). / WatchESPN.

ESPN Radio. (Mike Tirico, Todd Blackledge, Holly Rowe on Alabama sideline, Joe Schad on Clemson sideline, Rules expert Bill LeMonnier).

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
It only works that way if you have an AppleTV, unfortunately.
A quick google of iOS watchespn chromecast says this isn't true.

I don't have one, so I cannot personally testify but all available information says you can cast WatchESPN.

HSVBama

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 20, 2007
Actually 14 ways to watch, including listening to Alabama radio broadcast.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ways-watch-cfp-national-championship-megacast

Home Town Radio: In cooperation with Learfield Sports, the ESPN telecast will be available with the Alabama and Clemson home radio broadcasts serving as the commentary (separate feeds) along with a customized viewing experience that includes full time isolated shots of head coaches and star players.
Alabama's radio team is Eli Gold, Phil Savage, and Chris Stewart. (ESPN3)
Clemson radio team is Don Munson, Rodney Williams and Patrick Sapp. (ESPN3)

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
A quick google of iOS watchespn chromecast says this isn't true.

I don't have one, so I cannot personally testify but all available information says you can cast WatchESPN.
Jamie is talking about going from an iPad through the Apple TV to the TV. Like a screen swap. Something you can do with the two apple products working together.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
Jamie is talking about going from an iPad through the Apple TV to the TV. Like a screen swap. Something you can do with the two apple products working together.
Correct. You can't stream your iPad through the Google dongle, but you CAN stream WatchESPN on the Chromecast. I'm just not sure this CTSN option will be available that way, but I know you can stream it to your tv with two Apple products.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
That feature is AirPlay. It lets you mirror your iOS device to a screen using an Apple TV as the intermediary. It is a feature of the operating system.

If you have a Google chromecast, you can do the same thing if the app you want to use is cast enabled and WatchESPN is cast enabled.

The question was could he use his iOS device and Chromecast to watch the game on his TV. The post to which I was replying said he could not and that is simply untrue.

N AL Tider

1st Team
Jun 18, 2007
Sweet Home AL
I use my iPad to stream the games to my Chromecast. I am not sure how many but I do get some of the espn3 games not sure if I'll get all of the different showings of the Championship game.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
That feature is AirPlay. It lets you mirror your iOS device to a screen using an Apple TV as the intermediary. It is a feature of the operating system.

If you have a Google chromecast, you can do the same thing if the app you want to use is cast enabled and WatchESPN is cast enabled.

The question was could he use his iOS device and Chromecast to watch the game on his TV. The post to which I was replying said he could not and that is simply untrue.
Right on. That's absolutely correct.

The issue isn't with the ESPN app, it's with whether the app streams the CTSN sync. In the playoff, you had to do it through a browser, not WatchESPN and mirror the browser (sorry for the confusion on that). That works perfectly with the iPad and AppleTV. If anyone knows if it's possible to mirror an iPad (or any browser) through Chromecast, it would be helpful to share it here. I don't know how, but it may be possible.

There is always the possibility that the WatchESPN app will include the CTSN sync, in which case there'd be no need for the iPad at all... you could just stream it directly through the Chromecast.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
If you have an xbox, 360 or One, you can watch the ESPN app on there. I'll be deciding between that, which while HD is limited to streaming, or the actual broadcast.

With it being Herbie and Fowler, I might watch them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.