Game Thread: AJ starting a Playoff Game - Bengals v Steelers

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I feel bad for AJ. He had a rough start but he did his job and got the team the lead with less than two minutes to play. It's a shame that a class act like AJ has to be part of this no class outfit. But despite his best efforts... well you can't fix stupid and the Bengals are covered in stupid.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Watching that Burfict hit in slow motion I don't think there is any way he was head hunting. He had lowered his shoulder to go for the hit and the receivers head goes down at the last second. Personally I think he did not get the benefit of the doubt because of his reputation.

As for Jones - he should just get thrown out of the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
It's good someone mentioned the other Bama players on the field tonight: Gilberry, Smith and Kirkpatrick. In looking at the areas the game devolved very quickly, only Gilberry appeared to be involved and even then more so as a "middle-man" between refs and Steelers. This might have been Wallace's last shot at a playoff run as probably only has another couple seasons left.
To be fair, a large portion of the Bengals' roster from other schools had to suffer from the actions of a small, albeit demented portion of the team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watching that Burfict hit in slow motion I don't think there is any way he was head hunting. He had lowered his shoulder to go for the hit and the receivers head goes down at the last second. Personally I think he did not get the benefit of the doubt because of his reputation.

He got there well after the ball was gone and was clearly trying to hit him as hard as he could, not tackle him. Who cares where he intended the blow to land when the intent is to inflict pain or injury instead of tackle? The intent is clear. This is the stuff that everyone wants removed from the sport.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
This game also proved to be a big win for Peyton Manning and anyone who wants to see the "all-time QB wins" record broken between him and Favre. Had the Bengals held on, the hottest team in the league - the Chiefs - would be headed to Denver next week. As it stands, a depleted and one-dimensional Steelers team is going there to face one of the best overall defenses in modern-pro football.

Since it's at least a strong possibility that Manning is done after this year, that may provide the extra fuel to ensure a Broncos' win. I don't have a big place in my heart for Manning or Favre, but a record that big and possibly lasting shouldn't remain tied.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Agreed. He wasn't head hunting like Phil Simms continued to say. He had his head lowered, so he couldn't see where Bryant's head was.

By not keeping his head up, he didn't see the ball go incomplete. That was where he went wrong. His reputation also played a part.

Watched Sportscenter and some of NFL Primetime this morning. They indicated they didn't agree with some of the calls because of the way the calls went against the teams. Case in point being the hit Shazier put on Geovani Bernard.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Agreed. He wasn't head hunting like Phil Simms continued to say. He had his head lowered, so he couldn't see where Bryant's head was.

By not keeping his head up, he didn't see the ball go incomplete. That was where he went wrong. His reputation also played a part.

Watched Sportscenter and some of NFL Primetime this morning. They indicated they didn't agree with some of the calls because of the way the calls went against the teams. Case in point being the hit Shazier put on Geovani Bernard.

Burfict took a good 4 steps towards Bryant after the ball was already incomplete and gone. His sole intention was to cause pain. I'm not going to say he wanted to injure him, but he was absolutely looking to make him "think twice" about going across the middle again. The problem wasn't necessarily the hit. It was the timing. He could have easily stopped himself.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
:mad:I hate it when Refs determine the outcome of a game, period. Football is becoming more liberal everyday, and our sport will soon be no more. The hit on Brown would have been celebrated just five years ago but instead the guy will be suspended:conf3: because he jacked up a receiver on a crossing route. The defender was doing his job, Defending, just like Shazier did earlier, it was a good hard lick. If the liberals want to soften the sport up then throw a flag on the receiver for running a route across the middle or how about throwing it on Rothlesburger for hanging him out to dry. Why is that the defenders fault????? There should have not been a penalty, it was just good hard football.
If anything "Coach" Joey Porter should have been flagged for being on the field, he is nothing more than an instigator and was not supposed to be on the field, he is not a trainer, it should have been at worst offsetting penaties on both teams. Porter is a two faced punk for his actions, I used to have respect for the guy, Lets go back and look at the way he played.

I don't like either team last night, Berfict is a mouth and a bit of a punk along with pac man jones , but other than that he is an old school player that does his job, Knock the crap out of his opponent. I heard some talking heads saying it was "disgusting", what is disgusting is the direction of this sport.
Please keep the bleeding heart liberals out of our sport, you guys go back to the soccer fields or else we will all be watching replays of the wonderful flop of a movie "concussion" and professional flag football before long. WHINE AND FLAME AWAY:biggrin2:

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Not trying to sidetrack the thread, but this is exactly the kind of stuff I expect to see from some of the Clemson players tomorrow night. Winning by attrition has been their M.O. all year, and there's no reason to expect anything different from them in the NC game.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
He got there well after the ball was gone and was clearly trying to hit him as hard as he could, not tackle him. Who cares where he intended the blow to land when the intent is to inflict pain or injury instead of tackle? The intent is clear. This is the stuff that everyone wants removed from the sport.
Not everyone. I don't want to see intentional hits to the head but I am still in the camp that says you make a receiver pay for going over the middle. Until they put flags on everyones hips this is still a collision sport.

Last edited:

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
Burfict kneeing Roethlisberger's shoulder while on the ground

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/watch-bengals-lb-vontaze-burfict-in-full-thug-mode-against-steelers/

I saw the guy punch DeCastro while on the ground in front of officials and no flag. The Bengals had guys running off the sideline and onto the field trying to fight the entire game…it was ridiculous.

The refs had ZERO control of the game. 55 had NUMEROUS actions that warranted ejection and I don't recall him even being flagged until the hit on Brown. It was mind boggling.

Last edited:

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Burfict took a good 4 steps towards Bryant after the ball was already incomplete and gone. His sole intention was to cause pain. I'm not going to say he wanted to injure him, but he was absolutely looking to make him "think twice" about going across the middle again. The problem wasn't necessarily the hit. It was the timing. He could have easily stopped himself

This is how I feel as well. I have no problem with making a receiver "pay" for going across the middle. But in this case, Brown had clearly dropped the pass and the ball was on the ground. Burfict could've and should've stopped himself, but his disregard for his team and his inability to grasp the magnitude of the situation led him to make a stupid decision. I thought the hit that Shawn Williams got flagged for was less severe than the hit Burfict got flagged for and the hit on Bernard was more severe than any of them. I know he was technically a runner at that time, but I thought players were no longer allowed to launch themselves at a player with the crown of their helmet which is exactly what Shazier did. I thought the refs were inconsistent in their concern for player safety.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
I have to agree the refs were too soft and caused this thing to get out of control, some of the extra curricular activity should have been flagged early and often, I believe if they had taken control at the beginning of the game instead of ignoring the after the play dirty stuff this crap could have been avoided. But the hard hit at the end should not have been flagged regardless of the opinion on Burfict. The game was out of control from the beginning, they should fine the refs for not doing there job.

Burfict kneeing Roethlisberger's shoulder while on the ground

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/0...e-burfict-in-full-thug-mode-against-steelers/

I saw the guy punch DeCastro while on the ground in front of officials and no flag. The Bengals had guys running off the sideline and onto the field trying to fight the entire game…it was ridiculous.

The refs had ZERO control of the game. 55 had NUMEROUS actions that warranted ejection and I don't recall him even being flagged until the hit on Brown. It was mind boggling.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
:mad:I hate it when Refs determine the outcome of a game, period. Football is becoming more liberal everyday, and our sport will soon be no more. The hit on Brown would have been celebrated just five years ago but instead the guy will be suspended:conf3: because he jacked up a receiver on a crossing route. The defender was doing his job, Defending, just like Shazier did earlier, it was a good hard lick. If the liberals want to soften the sport up then throw a flag on the receiver for running a route across the middle or how about throwing it on Rothlesburger for hanging him out to dry. Why is that the defenders fault????? There should have not been a penalty, it was just good hard football.
If anything "Coach" Joey Porter should have been flagged for being on the field, he is nothing more than an instigator and was not supposed to be on the field, he is not a trainer, it should have been at worst offsetting penaties on both teams. Porter is a two faced punk for his actions, I used to have respect for the guy, Lets go back and look at the way he played.

I don't like either team last night, Berfict is a mouth and a bit of a punk along with pac man jones , but other than that he is an old school player that does his job, Knock the crap out of his opponent. I heard some talking heads saying it was "disgusting", what is disgusting is the direction of this sport.
Please keep the bleeding heart liberals out of our sport, you guys go back to the soccer fields or else we will all be watching replays of the wonderful flop of a movie "concussion" and professional flag football before long. WHINE AND FLAME AWAY:biggrin2:
You apparently haven't kept up with this rivalry the past 10 years. This has many intentional injuries and just plain thugary happen in the series. Most of it is because either Marvin Lewis's inability to control his team or his reluctance to do so. The steelers are no angels but their chief rivalry with the Ravens is a lot tamer in comparison to this one in terms of actual fights. To be honest the refs should've been ultra strict having the knowledge they had of the last game between the two and the steelers complaints of the bengals intentionality injuring star players.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I agree that some of the Bengals players are undisciplined and were out of control, particularly Burfict and Jones. The fact that the NFL had warned the officials to tightly call this game to keep it under control indicates that they knew this one could get ugly very quickly. In such cases, you would expect the coaches on both sides to assist the refs. But the unsportsmanlike actions of the Steelers assistant coaches, Munchak and Porter, exacerbated an already volatile situation. IMO, their actions were deliberate and not heat of the moment. When the league is handing out fines and suspensions, the coaches need to be punished as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This game represents what non-football fans hate about the sport. In this game, players time and again attempted to injure players from the opposing team. The Steelers were as guilty as the Bengals through most of the game. Both teams played like thugs and neither should advance. There was no sign of sportsmanship and no sign of contrition. Each team blames the other. It was a brawl, not a sporting event, and I wish I had never tuned in.
Guess I am a non football fan? One of the teams makes a habit out of it, and it's not the Steelers.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
I agree that some of the Bengals players are undisciplined and were out of control, particularly Burfict and Jones. The fact that the NFL had warned the officials to tightly call this game to keep it under control indicates that they knew this one could get ugly very quickly. In such cases, you would expect the coaches on both sides to assist the refs. But the unsportsmanlike actions of the Steelers assistant coaches, Munchak and Porter, exacerbated an already volatile situation. IMO, their actions were deliberate and not heat of the moment. When the league is handing out fines and suspensions, the coaches need to be punished as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I found Porter's and Munchak's behavior just as thuggish as the player's, not to mention the thuggish actions of the crowd that was throwing debris on the field and cheering when Big Ben got hurt.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Not everyone. I don't want to see intentional hits to the head but I am still in the camp that says you make a receiver pay for going over the middle. Until they put flags on everyones hips this is still a collision sport.

Not with an intentional head shot. If you want to crack some ribs, I'm good with it, but he went for his head which is what got the flag. I thought the second penalty should have been offsetting since Pittsburgh's defensive coach was on the field and had no business being there.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.