News Article: Stop telling Cyrus Jones to turn his head

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I have noticed the not turning around technique used by other teams much more lately because these threads have me looking for it. I think that sometimes the problem is that the best receivers can wait until the last second to react to the ball, which keeps the DB from reacting. Also, a deliberately underthrown ball can draw a pass interference call when the DB doesn't at least put a hand up like he is playing the ball.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I suspect they will...
They may try but Henry's ruggedness is nearly legendary. I feel like I can sit around a campfire with my grandkids long from now and say "Derrick Henry carried the ball 359 times in ONE season and never missed a snap due to injury." I say all of this as I point to cave paintings to illustrate, of course.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
In response to the thread in general -

I'm not sure who is criticizing Cyrus exactly because more often than not he is in the correct phase to get his head around. More often than not it's Humphrey who gets picked on for it. Or Fitzpatrick. As it was stated elsewhere in this thread, age and experience has more to do with it than ability. They are just young and are still perfecting their "phases."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have noticed the not turning around technique used by other teams much more lately because these threads have me looking for it. I think that sometimes the problem is that the best receivers can wait until the last second to react to the ball, which keeps the DB from reacting. Also, a deliberately underthrown ball can draw a pass interference call when the DB doesn't at least put a hand up like he is playing the ball.
I don't know if it were intentional or not, but that's exactly what happened on both of our most recent PI calls, one against Cyrus and one against Humph...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
First, I can't think of a time I've seen Cy play anything but perfect technique.
Second, they have to wear helmets! It's not like they can just turn their eyeballs a bit. Locating the ball = giving the receiver substantial time to accelerate or change direction.
Yep, Cy`s not the issue.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
My only thought on the article is that there is a time when a DB should turn his head and find the ball rather than play the receivers hands. If a DB has leverage and is blanketed on the WR then the DB should turn his head and try to make a play on the ball. In this situation, simply playing the WR's hands will almost always draw a penalty because the WR is reaching out his hands to catch the ball and the DB will contact the WR before the ball gets there. Easy PI call for the officials. Conversely, if the DB is not in proper position then he doesn't have time to turn his head and his best action is to play the hands/eyes of the WR and hope for the best..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
In response to the thread in general -

I'm not sure who is criticizing Cyrus exactly because more often than not he is in the correct phase to get his head around. More often than not it's Humphrey who gets picked on for it. Or Fitzpatrick. As it was stated elsewhere in this thread, age and experience has more to do with it than ability. They are just young and are still perfecting their "phases."
If you saw what fans were tweeting to the Hump, Minkah and Jones and what people have said on here and on other sites, throughout the season,which was that they need to turn around for the ball. It's frustrating the players that they have to hear it outside the locker room, but I'm glad that they remained focused and continue to play well. I've noticed that we get called for PI at the beginning of the game and then we adjust as the game goes along.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
In those situations, especially when the ball is under-thrown, I'm hoping one of the DB teammates would yell at whoever is in coverage to turn around and find the ball. If the ball is not going over his head, he can turn around and do one of two things - either knock it down or go for the interception. But you are correct, I'm not the coach. I played DB in high school and understand how easy it is to get beaten if you turn around when the ball is thrown on target.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Penalties are frustrating but a pass interference (in college football anyways) for not turning your head will always be better than a successful 16+ yard pass play by the other team. It actually helped us against Michigan State a couple of times if I recall correctly. Besides, eventually, Jones, Fitzpatrick, Jackson and the rest will pick one off if someone goes to the well too many times.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
There are pros and cons to the technique. We have been discussing the cons, but if the DB is playing good technique, the coverage will usually be too tight for the QB to risk the throw. Nobody tweets the DB's telling them to turn their heads around when the QB has to throw the ball over the bench because he is about to get sacked and nobody is open.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I think I've said it before in many game threads that our DB's are playing it the way they have been taught plain and simple. The P.I. calls come when the DB runs into the receivers chest or bumps him in anyway before the ball arrives. It's different in college versus NFL. At least that's what I have heard.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I think I've said it before in many game threads that our DB's are playing it the way they have been taught plain and simple. The P.I. calls come when the DB runs into the receivers chest or bumps him in anyway before the ball arrives. It's different in college versus NFL. At least that's what I have heard.
This is my thinking as well. If they were doing it wrong, Coach wouldn't have them out there.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This is my thinking as well. If they were doing it wrong, Coach wouldn't have them out there.
Agreed. We get aggravated sometimes when it happens but it's how they are being taught. Some of us I believe are Mel Tucker posting on here under an assumed name since they seem to know exactly how our DB's should be taught and play the ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.