Respect for Deshaun Watson

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I searched in the Football forum, and couldn't find an answer. Did the ref who kept helping Watson up every explain why he was serving as Watson's person valet? I have never seen a ref help a player to his feet before and this joker did it several times. Did any sports journalist ever ask him why?
(Hey, it's off-season).

Last edited:

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
The referee was standing right there . If there were no Clemson players around to help him up , why not give a hand and help him up ? Officials are allowed and encouraged to show good sportsmanship even if some fans can't grasp the concept !

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The referee was standing right there . If there were no Clemson players around to help him up , why not give a hand and help him up ? Officials are allowed and encouraged to show good sportsmanship even if some fans can't grasp the concept !
I'm not sure why a ref helping a player up is "showing good sportsmanship." The ref is not a competitor in the contest.
I believe they are asked to show impartiality. This particular ref helped Watson up several times and did not help a Bama player up once. This makes it look, well, partial to one side.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have seen officials help players get up countless times and at every level of football. Helping Watson up was not an anomaly. The QB is usually helped to his feet by his own line, but Watson was never between the tackles, so the ref helped him up more than you typically see.

JMO

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have seen officials help players get up countless times and at every level of football. Helping Watson up was not an anomaly. The QB is usually helped to his feet by his own line, but Watson was never between the tackles, so the ref helped him up more than you typically see.

JMO
I guess. It might be that the same ref helped Coker up a bunch as well. I just found it odd.
Maybe its just a guy being a decent human being, but given a choice between being nice and being unbiased, I'd prefer officials be unbiased and avoid even the appearance of favoritism.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess. It might be that the same ref helped Coker up a bunch as well. I just found it odd.
Maybe its just a guy being a decent human being, but given a choice between being nice and being unbiased, I'd prefer officials be unbiased and avoid even the appearance of favoritism.
Agreed

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
BamainBoston
We're such Neanderthals. I really don't know how you stand it here.

B1GTide
By ignoring posters like you. Have a miserable day.

Guys, guys, guys! I know it must be miserable living in the north but some decorum here! It's still the Easter season.

Roll Tide :BigA:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'm glad it was Watson being helped up rather than Coker. I can hear the backlash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Although HUNH is not Clemson's style, with that offense being prevalent these days I think it would be a good rule of thumb for the officials to not help any player off the turf - especially the QB. That definitely could be construed as a benefit to the offense in HUNH mode.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.