JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Championship wrap-up: Bama defied doubters to bring home title No. 16
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
January 12th, 2016 06:15 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Jan. 12, 2016 There was always supposed to be a point in the 2015 season when this Alabama Crimson Tide team would finally be knocked out of national title contention. So said all the experts. It was a team without a quarterback, the pundits insisted. So Alabama made a serious […]

Read More Here

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Great win. Apparently, we still have some work to do defending a really good dual threat QB which is what Watson is for sure. Not sure any other team would have even hung close to Clemson last night. Their lines were way better than I thought they would be. But our team never put their heads down and just kept on putting out the effort. It paid off big time. So proud of them this morning. RTR!

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks for the article, Jess. Always look forward to these.
Just one question though. Was Coker benched against Ole Miss or was he sick?
I keep hearing that he was benched but when he did get in the game, he looked like he was fighting the flu or something. Gutsy performance either way.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Great win. Apparently, we still have some work to do defending a really good dual threat QB which is what Watson is for sure. Not sure any other team would have even hung close to Clemson last night. Their lines were way better than I thought they would be. But our team never put their heads down and just kept on putting out the effort. It paid off big time. So proud of them this morning. RTR!
After last night, I'm just not sure it's possible. You're going to have to catch him on an off night, or simply outscore. I don't see how a defense can account for a scrambling QB that is throwing darts. JessN is right in that on the conventional plays, Clemson wasn't very successful. Their success came when Watson scrambled, and as athletic as our DL became this season, they are simply not going to corral him in the open field. It was Johnny Manziel all over again. I tip my hat to Watson. If anyone other than Henry deserved the Heisman, it was him, not the Stanford guy.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I know a lot of people refer to the 2011 LSU title game as saban's masterpiece, but IMO this is his greatest win and greatest in-game coaching effort of his career.
the one knock that I had on him (which I think was shared by many) was his seeming rigid inability to adjust when the game was getting away from him, but he put that to rest last night.
this was just a fantastic all-around win that required every drop of fuel in every tank on our sideline.
incredible!

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
After last night, I'm just not sure it's possible. You're going to have to catch him on an off night, or simply outscore. I don't see how a defense can account for a scrambling QB that is throwing darts. JessN is right in that on the conventional plays, Clemson wasn't very successful. Their success came when Watson scrambled, and as athletic as our DL became this season, they are simply not going to corral him in the open field. It was Johnny Manziel all over again. I tip my hat to Watson. If anyone other than Henry deserved the Heisman, it was him, not the Stanford guy.
I agree.

Watson's a special player and when he's on his game he's basically unstoppable.

if ever a player on a losing team deserved the MVP he did.

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
Reading this wrap-up makes me feel much better about our performance. If most of Watson's success came on unconventional plays then it really isn't right to say we were outplayed as some are saying. Despite giving up such yardage Bama made the plays necessary to win the game.

Roll Tide!!

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Great article Jess, as always.

Shaq made up for his injury by lining up off sides nearly every play. You can also credit the Clemson offensive line for grabbing any part of a defensive lineman that they could to slow them down in their pursuit of Watson and they weren't flagged. It was infuriating to watch the game unfold like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Great article Jess, as always.

Shaq made up for his injury by lining up off sides nearly every play. You can also credit the Clemson offensive line for grabbing any part of a defensive lineman that they could to slow them down in their pursuit of Watson and they weren't flagged. It was infuriating to watch the game unfold like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you noticed that too. Their DB's were also grabbing jerseys as well.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
So you noticed that too. Their DB's were also grabbing jerseys as well.
This made me so ill...Foster gets called for PI yet you have one of Clemson's dbs grab Ridley's jersey in the end zone and nothing is called. Even early in the game Clemson's all everything DB was holding Ridley as he went across the middle and Herbstreit says great job by the Clemson d as they show the replay of Ridley getting held. It was infuriating.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.