Our B Game Beat their A Game

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area

What you saw last night was brilliant coaching, seeing what Clemson was doing and attacking their weaknesses, and our upperclassmen doing what was needed to win the game. Statistically speaking, the two best defenses in the nation were Alabama and Boston College. Watson had a combined 930 yards of total offense against those defenses. That's saying something.
Yea, Clemson had a lot to do with that. Good point about BC and Bama, the two top defenses this season.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Watson was as advertised. Clemson's defense was better than I expected affecting the game. That's the cause for looking like it was our B game. They deserve credit. The two best teams truly were on the field last night.
How many yards (not counting KD's TD) did Clemson give up? And, face it, minus the garbage TD at the end, I think Bama outgained Clemson.
Clemson has a "good" defense. They couldn't stop DH and couldn't find OJ - maybe that was due to game plan and not talent but the end result is the same.
Watson's QB rating of 70 was good - not great. JC's was better.
The best team won.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think Clemson and Clemson QB played their A+ game and Bama may have played a little under. I don't think Clemson could play this way every game. The Clemson QB made some spectacular throws but at least went through a little dry spell and missed some open receivers on a few drives.

Alabama had a 12 point lead with 15 seconds left in the game. Coach Saban essentially said that the defense was laying off and Clemson getting 100 or so yards and the score at the end of the game was of no concern.

Since this was a championship game then this is a "mute" point but I wonder if Clemson could play another game next week.
^^^^^^^This.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Agreed, Clemson is a lot better than anyone believed. Other than the MSU game, Alabama has made these types of mistakes in virtually every game. This was you A game, and it was just good enough. Play Clemson 10 times and they win half. They are that good, and Watson that great.

Be grateful for the victory. It was hard won. But Clemson lived up to all of their smack talk before the game. They walked the walk. They deserve the respect that they are due.

Roll Tide!
I agree on all points but would like to point out; Alabama played to the same level +5 points, without all the smack talk. Props to Clemson and hail to Watson but just sayin' ...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I'm sorry, that was not a "B" game. Maybe we didn't execute, but so much of that had to do with Clemson. That was an A+ effort and it took every bit of it to win.

I keep seeing this stuff about peaking at Michigan State and we didn't play like we did against Michigan State. Well of course not. Clemson would have destroyed Michigan State too. JMO.
Did you not see Dominick Jackson?

I dunno. I think a lot of our guys in the trenches got handled early. Halftime adjustments turned the tide a bit, but it was our backups and guys who were seeking redemption that won us the game.

Our D looked as vulnerable as it has all season. We weren't' getting any penetration early. No one can convince me that's because of Clemson. We have one of the top 2-3 defensive line units in CFB history, Clemson might have 1-2 NFL offensive lineman, and I'm not sure any of them are starters. They pushed us around the entire first half.

Their defensive line did the same to our OL, especially AFTER halftime. Henry only had 30 yards on 16 second half carries.

I think Clemson played out of their minds. Dabo had them ready to go, but that's not the best we've looked all season, not even close.

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
With players out of position on defense and missing tackles.....I agree with the OP. Clemson is a great team. Kudos to them but we did not play our A game.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I'm sorry, that was not a "B" game. Maybe we didn't execute, but so much of that had to do with Clemson. That was an A+ effort and it took every bit of it to win.

I keep seeing this stuff about peaking at Michigan State and we didn't play like we did against Michigan State. Well of course not. Clemson would have destroyed Michigan State too. JMO.
I agree.

we may not have played our best game of the season, but Clemson was the best team we've played this year...with the best player we've played in years.

people need to give Clemson their due...they went toe to toe with us for 4 quarters and it took everything we have to beat them.

they are a championship quality team.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Did you not see Dominick Jackson?

I dunno. I think a lot of our guys in the trenches got handled early. Halftime adjustments turned the tide a bit, but it was our backups and guys who were seeking redemption that won us the game.

Our D looked as vulnerable as it has all season. We weren't' getting any penetration early. No one can convince me that's because of Clemson. We have one of the top 2-3 defensive line units in CFB history, Clemson might have 1-2 NFL offensive lineman, and I'm not sure any of them are starters. They pushed us around the entire first half.

Their defensive line did the same to our OL, especially AFTER halftime. Henry only had 30 yards on 16 second half carries.

I think Clemson played out of their minds. Dabo had them ready to go, but that's not the best we've looked all season, not even close.
The right side of our OL got out classed. I'm saying Clemson's DL did damage because they were that good, not because our guys were that bad. Our OL has struggled several times all year long.. this was nothing new in that regard.

Our D? Deshaun Watson was the best player on the field and it wasn't even close. When he scrambled, what were those DL supposed to do? They're not chasing him down. And then he's throwing darts? You can't defend that. He was that good AND he played out of his mind. He took an absolute beating, and kept coming back for more.

If you want to say that's not the best we've looked all year, you have to take into account the teams we played. Clemson was our toughest opponent. It's not even close, really. But comparing them to Michigan State? Please. They would have beaten them as bad or worse than we did and that's why I say you can't look at the Cotton Bowl and say we didn't play nearly as good. Of course we didn't, because we played a creampuff compared to last night.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Was a heck of game. Im just glad we got out with a win. Watson was an absolute stud. Combo of Scam Newton and Johnny Football. He is a gamechanger for sure. RTR

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
The thing that pleases me most is that in past years we could not have won a game against that. Now we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
we won a game against almost the same exact thing in college station in 2013.

manziel had 450+ yards passing, nearly 100 yards rushing and we won 49-42.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
We must remember that we played the undefeated #1 team in the nation last night, and their QB played out of his mind except for a handful of plays.

The only time our defense is inept is when plays extend too long and begin to break down. This happens more often than not against mobile QBs because they have the ability to run around in the backfield until a receiver can break off their routes and get open. It was most of Manziel's success and I believe Chad Kelly was able to do it some as well.

We traded punches with the best team Clemson has had in a generation and at the end we were the ones still standing.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
We must remember that we played the undefeated #1 team in the nation last night, and their QB played out of his mind except for a handful of plays.

The only time our defense is inept is when plays extend too long and begin to break down. This happens more often than not against mobile QBs because they have the ability to run around in the backfield until a receiver can break off their routes and get open. It was most of Manziel's success and I believe Chad Kelly was able to do it some as well.

We traded punches with the best team Clemson has had in a generation and at the end we were the ones still standing.
exactly.

we played the best team we've faced all year with the best player we've seen since 2013 and we won...barely...just like in 2013.

I think people expect us to win every game by double digits and the reality is that every so often we run into a team that is nearly on par on talent, motivation and coaching.

Clemson's the best team we've faced in years...even better than ohio state last year and I think they would have creamed anyone the played last night other than us.

and if Mackenzie hadn't be hurt, we probably would have lost.

be happy we won against a very good, very motivated team with a superstar playing lights out against us.

this is one I will savor more than any of the previous national title blowouts.

I guess this ends the discussion. Coach saw the writing on the wall.
I'm just glad the team prevailed to the end. That really wasn't Bama's best effort. Though that last TD that they scored was insignificant, it shouldn't have been that close.

And I do want to say, those refs were the worst of any championship game I've ever seen. BY FAR AND WIDE!

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
exactly.

we played the best team we've faced all year with the best player we've seen since 2013 and we won...barely...just like in 2013.

I think people expect us to win every game by double digits and the reality is that every so often we run into a team that is nearly on par on talent, motivation and coaching.

Clemson's the best team we've faced in years...even better than ohio state last year and I think they would have creamed anyone the played last night other than us.

and if Mackenzie hadn't be hurt, we probably would have lost.

be happy we won against a very good, very motivated team with a superstar playing lights out against us.

this is one I will savor more than any of the previous national title blowouts.
I don't expect our team to win by double digits every time. But last night was the worst our DL has looked all season. Same with our OL. They were manhandled. A Rimington award winner and the unit that won the Joe Moore Award for best squad in the nation got completely and totally manhandled.

I'm not complaining about winning. I'll take a win any way we can get one. But I don't understand how anyone can look at how our lines played in the trenches and think we were on our "A" game.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Mack is that you creeping in again!?
just calling it like I see it.

chances are howard isn't running free if that guy is on the field.

injuries are part of the game and we were lucky that the injury bug hit them and not us.

it was a tremendous effort on the part of both teams and we were just a little bit better and that's all that matters.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I don't expect our team to win by double digits every time. But last night was the worst our DL has looked all season. Same with our OL. They were manhandled. A Rimington award winner and the unit that won the Joe Moore Award for best squad in the nation got completely and totally manhandled.
I really have to respectfully disagree with you about the DL.

How many yards did their running game get? Wasn't it something like 43?
The goal for them was not to bullrush Deshaun Watson, the goal was to keep a steady pocket and make him throw the ball. Anytime we designed a blitz or desired to push through to the QB, it happened...their OL couldn't take it. The X-factor here was Watson. Their OL struggled to create gaps and seams, even on designed QB runs. As a unit the only way they didn't look worse is that the DL wasn't attempting to penetrate because they were trying to contain Watson. If they break trough it just causes a QB scramble which could prove even more detrimental. The idea was to make Watson sit in the pocket and throw the ball...hence when we din't have a spy for a large portion of the game...they wanted those LB's in coverage to defend the pocket pass. Now later in the game the strategy changed. It became apparent that Watson was ALL of Clemson's offense and the best chance of stopping the offense was making him uncomfortable....which happened A LOT...their OL was constantly trying to improvise but how many scrambles did he have in the 2nd half that would have been sacks against any other mortal QB? The X-Factor was always Watson and their O-line was on par with any of the other lines we've seen this season. The strategy was simply different.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.