Our B Game Beat their A Game

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Finebaum reported yesterday that a lot of the players seemed angry walking around after the game and even Saban didn't seem happy at times. They were happy to win, but disappointed with their performance overall.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Finebaum reported yesterday that a lot of the players seemed angry walking around after the game and even Saban didn't seem happy at times. They were happy to win, but disappointed with their performance overall.
Because the defense didn't play as well as they could have. I also saw that Travis Reier reported that the team looked "deadlegged" in practice. Watson played out of his mind and Clemson was as good as advertised. However, anyone who truly thinks that the championship game was an "A" effort for that Bama defense hadn't been watching this team closely enough in the other 14 games. B or B+ effort? Maybe. But not an A. That front 7 was special.

As LOAM argued in the OP, Clemson got our B game and we still beat them.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Coach Saban even said that it wasn't one of Alabama's better games in terms of execution (paraphrasing but I think that's close). There are always a few mistakes by both teams in every game but overall, Alabama could have played a little better; I'm not sure if anyone could expect Clemson and Clemson QB to play any better.

The word "effort" is being used differently by different members of TF. I don't think anyone is saying the Bama players and staff did not try as hard as they could (effort) when saying it was not "Bama's best effort". I think that's why Coach Saban clarified his statement using "in terms of execution".

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Coach Saban even said that it wasn't one of Alabama's better games in terms of execution (paraphrasing but I think that's close). There are always a few mistakes by both teams in every game but overall, Alabama could have played a little better; I'm not sure if anyone could expect Clemson and Clemson QB to play any better.

The word "effort" is being used differently by different members of TF. I don't think anyone is saying the Bama players and staff did not try as hard as they could (effort) when saying it was not "Bama's best effort". I think that's why Coach Saban clarified his statement using "in terms of execution".
Well put.

One comment from earlier in this thread really struck in my craw. It was B1GTide's statement that, if Alabama were to play Clemson 10 times, Clemson would win half. I often find myself agreeing with B1G's arguments and always find them thoughtful, but I really take issue with that assertion.

But perhaps I misunderstood. If he meant that Clemson would win half given how both teams performed on Monday night, then, yes, I'd agree.

If they played 10 more times based on how they played, on average, for the rest of the season, then I'd guess that Alabama would win more than half. That's not taking anything away from Clemson, a very good team. But I thought this Alabama team was better.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I also saw that Travis Reier reported that the team looked "deadlegged" in practice.
Why does it seem like we only hear about these "reports" after the game has been played. Is Travis Reier not aloud to report about practice until after the game or, is he just trying to be that person that "now" says they saw this coming? I don't remember seeing any reports last week about slow practices or deadlegs or looking tired, but have seen a few since Monday say that they saw this stuff in practice.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
1st quarter B-
2nd-C+
3rd-B-
4th- C

Offense- B- ( mostly because of Coker and OL)
Defense-D
Special Team- B plus

Players with best grade: Drake, Henry, OJ Howard and E. Jackson with A plus.
Worst grade: D.Jackson, OL line, DL Line

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Why does it seem like we only hear about these "reports" after the game has been played. Is Travis Reier not aloud to report about practice until after the game or, is he just trying to be that person that "now" says they saw this coming? I don't remember seeing any reports last week about slow practices or deadlegs or looking tired, but have seen a few since Monday say that they saw this stuff in practice.
Why would you report on that.. giving the opposing team an extra advantage against us?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Nick says that we didn't play our best. I'll go with what he says, so not our A game.
He also said we looked tired, in practices. He thinks playing 15 games is asking a bit too much.

Let's not forget how he has said that you can only ask a team to be up, for only a few "big games", in a season. As a result, teams barely win games they are expected to win big. Which team do you think had more "big games", this last season?

With all that, we still won.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
He also said we looked tired, in practices. He thinks playing 15 games is asking a bit too much.
Yet another reason to oppose an expansion to an 8-team playoff for which so many casual fans and media personalities are clamoring.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
1st quarter B-
2nd-C+
3rd-B-
4th- C

Offense- B- ( mostly because of Coker and OL)
Defense-D
Special Team- B plus

Players with best grade: Drake, Henry, OJ Howard and E. Jackson with A plus.
Worst grade: D.Jackson, OL line, DL Line
i think we played much worse in the 3rd quarter, and played really well (relatively) in the 4th. we entered the 4th quarter down 24-21, and the fourth quarter was a shootout between two teams whose defenses were exhausted, and we won that 4th quarter shootout, pretty convincingly, against arguably the best qb in the country who was having a record setting night.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
2 thoughts here, one on topic and one off.

1) Just curious, are we positive that Clemson played their "A" game? If we gave up an INT, got fooled on an onside kick, had a 95 yard return for TD against our special teams, and gave up the long Henry run and over 200 yards to a TE, I would say we didn't. Do the Clemson fans and players believe it was their "A" game?

2) Regarding the idea of an 8 team playoff, CNS said on Mike and Mike this morning (paraphrasing) that he couldn't see playing an extra playoff game AND keeping the conference championship games. Too much wear on the players. I think he is right to oppose the extra game, even if that keeps us out some years. If you want in, dominate during the regular season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.