Question: Which Juniors will leave early for the NFL? Just Henry and A'Shawn So Far

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Re: Which Juniors will leave early for the NFL?

In my mind, if a junior doesn't grade first round but has first round potential, he's not smart to come back. OJ Howard is one if those, I'm betting' the grades second or third round. Going now after showing what he's capable of doing to help the offense is likely a $10M mistake...
I think you are right. I would talk to the coaches and ask if he will be utilized more next year if he returns. If they say yes come back if they say no go pro.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I'm not sure why everyone is saying that O.J. Howard should go because he JUST had the best game of his career. You know, these scouts watch ALL the tape on these players. Yah, O.J> had a great game when he needed to. His measurables ARE incredible, but that doesn't mean the scouts will like when they go back and look at every single stitch of tape on him. Stay a year and finish the development that started to show itself in this most recent game and go in the 1st round next year for sure.

Same goes for Reuben Foster. Personal life aside, he's a guy who would flourish next year and make sure the center of that defense stays nasty as well as working on his consistency and ability to manage a big time defense from the field.
Several reasons. Draft stock being as high as it will ever be, risk of injury and/or risk of hurting draft stock. Think about Cardale Jones. He started 3 games last year and beat Wisconsin 59-0, beat Alabama and beat Oregon. He should have declared for the draft last year because of the momentum from those games. He probably would have been picked in rounds 1-3. It only takes 1 team who really likes a player to get drafted high. Tim Tebow was a first round pick and Cardale could have been. That's just one example. OJ had a monster game vs Michigan State and Clemson on the biggest stage in college football. He will do awesome at the combine (which all teams weigh differently) and when you combine that with the last 2 games he's played that's a lot of momentum that can result in a high draft pick. I hope he comes back but it's my opinion that it's in his best interest to go. He would instantly be the most athletic tight end in the NFL. That's saying a lot..

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

OJ lacks a lot in his blocking. If he had played under a guy like Homer Smith when he was using the TE as a receiver more than a blocker he'd broken some records. I'd like to see a whole year of him in a passing attack that used him more as a receiver at Alabama.
I think his blocking downgrades his huge potential, although slightly. I'm OK with whatever his decision may be.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

OJ lacks a lot in his blocking. If he had played under a guy like Homer Smith when he was using the TE as a receiver more than a blocker he'd broken some records. I'd like to see a whole year of him in a passing attack that used him more as a receiver at Alabama.
I think his blocking downgrades his huge potential, although slightly. I'm OK with whatever his decision may be.
He won't be a blocking TE in the NFL. Think Jimmy Graham.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Bama holding a 3 p.m. eastern press conference on Friday for the underclassmen to announce their decisions.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Bama holding a 3 p.m. eastern press conference on Friday for the underclassmen to announce their decisions.
Due to the tire tread philosophy, I think coach Saban has no problems with a RB leaving even if he goes late 2nd round. It is a unique position these days with the limited shelf life and the importance of getting to the second contract vs staying a year to work on blocking. No doubt Henry should go after the grind of this season and what he accomplished. We have been very good at working a back hard for one year only, and then getting them to the NFL. Next year will be unique because none of the back will be eligible for the first time since coach Saban has been here.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I expect Howard to stay...try to shore up his draft status with a hopefully big 2016. It would be silly after his show-out in the CFPCG for him to regress in targets going forward. I'd expect Ridley-Howard-Stewart-Foster to be a dynamic receiving group. Howard might even spend more time out wide to allow Ridley to play in the slot

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

In my mind, if a junior doesn't grade first round but has first round potential, he's not smart to come back. OJ Howard is one if those, I'm betting' the grades second or third round. Going now after showing what he's capable of doing to help the offense is likely a $10M mistake...
Without knowing how NFL teams are looking at him, I'd say that he's better off coming back as long as he knows he'll be featured in the offense. Clearly, he's been spending his time at Alabama developing fundementals. NFL teams prefer refined players over projects and I'd argue that they would draft him now as a project. Next year he'd have a chance to show he's the complete package.

Having said that, if somehow he can sniff the first round he should go for it. I just don't see that happening.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

His grade couldn't have been great...and I don't think one game would change it too much. He'd be going out on the hopes his measurables stun the NFL franchises.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ryan Anderson announces he's returning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Due to the tire tread philosophy, I think coach Saban has no problems with a RB leaving even if he goes late 2nd round. It is a unique position these days with the limited shelf life and the importance of getting to the second contract vs staying a year to work on blocking. No doubt Henry should go after the grind of this season and what he accomplished. We have been very good at working a back hard for one year only, and then getting them to the NFL. Next year will be unique because none of the back will be eligible for the first time since coach Saban has been here.

Because of missed time with injuries, Bo S may be able to jump after the 2016 season. I think.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I HOPE OJ returns, but I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. While having amazing numbers would help his stock a bit, if you look at other TE's in his mold (think Jimmy Graham, Antonio Gates, Jordan Reed), he's going to go fairly early either way. He's got too much upside to go any later than the 3rd round. I hope, though, CNS and CLK can tell him that the championship game was a preview of what he can expect in 2016. With a big year he's a potential 1st rounder.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

[/B]

Because of missed time with injuries, Bo S may be able to jump after the 2016 season. I think.
I think you are right that Bo will be eligible after next year, but not due to an injury. He didn't make grades or something that caused him to not be able to enroll for a year, so next year he'll be three years removed from HS, UNLESS the rule is that the year he sat out to get his grades right counts as still being in HS and then we'd have two more years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.