Why does any network pay Skip Brainless to talk on tv?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's not paid because he's a good analyst, he's paid because he creates controversy. ESPN doesn't care about analysis. They care about eyeballs and good analysis is not driving eyeballs.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Both guys are cavemen but only screaming Screamin' A. Smith is the only one who has said anything remotely contreversial, i.e. reaching main stream media (attacking Kevin durant, questioning a female soccer player during the last World Cup, most famously being attacked by Michelle Beadle for his insane comments during the ray rice incident). Skip has some really stupid things but to me smith is the more cotreversi jerk on that show, which is the point of the show, unfortunately. I view that show in the same light as Springer.

I must admit though I did smirk with smith allied cam boy a coward and a brat. He is on the mark with that observation.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
When I post something I have read on ESPN, USA Today & etc., someone usually tells me "don't watch and click if you don't like it, you are just playing into their hands." They get the impression I am mad about what was said. No, just laughing at the stupidity of the statement, like Cowherd and Klatt saying "Saban Problem and Bama" and other nonsense and want to share the laugh at their idiocy.

I don't normally respond to those who want to run my viewing and clicking business but I will take this opportunity to do so. I will use the same argument against them: Don't click or reply to my post, you are only enabling me and pushing it to the top.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
There is a movie about the life of Howard Stern called Private Parts. There is a line from that movie where the radio executives talk about a poll of listeners. People who love Howard listen much longer than the average radio listener. Reason given: I want to hear what he'll say next. People who hate Howard listen even longer than the people who love the guy. Reason given: I want to hear what he'll say next. I guess TV is a lot like radio.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'll never understand why people continue to choose to watch people they don't like. K*nnel and company don't bother me as I simply refuse to watch or listen to them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'll never understand why people continue to choose to watch people they don't like. K*nnel and company don't bother me as I simply refuse to watch or listen to them.
Because people love drama, and in turn actually love the people they whine about. Ive said it over and over, analysts are like WWE wrestlers in that they play "hero' and "heel" to get attention, but it seems people either take a certain analyst's take as what that analysts really thinks or the person that is listening to them wants to get their blood pressure up and in turn post the 13th Danny and Joey thread of the season by week 5. Bottom line is, If you dont like them turn the channel.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Because people love drama, and in turn actually love the people they whine about. Ive said it over and over, analysts are like WWE wrestlers in that they play "hero' and "heel" to get attention,
You're probably right. I hate unnecessary drama (anything football related is 'unnecessary' for me) and have never understand people being drawn to WWE-type wrestling. None of it makes any sense to me.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You're probably right. I hate unnecessary drama (anything football related is 'unnecessary' for me) and have never understand people being drawn to WWE-type wrestling. None of it makes any sense to me.
WWE is basically a male soapopera. They get paid to act and say things people wish they cold say and do without consequences. I watch Finebaum and Bayless for entertainment and not for my daily factual insight of sports. I think where the problem with some viewers happens and why people continually gripe about them is that they see the opposite. They are taking Skip as he is stating facts that ESPN or whoever believes rather than just entertainment.

Now if you want "FACTS" yall need to listen to the Golden Domer

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
To answer the OP's original question is pretty simple - follow the money. First Take gets very good ratings for ESPN.

ESPN2’s First Take experienced its best August viewership ever in terms of households, People 2+ viewers, Men 18-34 and Adults 25-54, according to Nielsen. Compared to last year, August 2015 was up across the board –

• Viewership (People 2+) is up 22% to 409,000
  • People 25-54 viewership is up 35% to 252,000
  • Household viewership is up 16% to 361,000
  • Men 18-34 is up 16% to 115,000

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/its...irst-take-is-experiencing-record-ratings.html

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
To the OP, its a combination of making Stephan A. look good and the publicity he gets from being so sappy and opinionated, like this thread for example. Skip has gotten HIS own thread on Tidefans, and that is the answer why they pay him to talk on TV.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The same people complain about Bayless and Smith complain about Cowherd, Galloway, Kannell, and Brando and others who don't worship Alabama and CNS.
I don't watch them, but I do see clips, quotes, things said on Twitter and so on. They can't all be lumped together, I don't think Bayless for instance is anything other than just someone who takes a certain tact.

Cowherd likes to troll a bit, but he lost a lot of credibility with his statement about Malzahn owning Saban or Alabama or what ever. Since then Auburn has been mediocre and Alabama went to the playoff both years. However, Galloway and Kanell are in another league and you know it. Those two spew such idiocy with such frequency that you'd think they were hype men for the ACC and Big 10 and not working as journalists. Both have made pointed remarks about Alabama and the SEC, both have had their share of attacks, and you could tell which conference they played for even if you never heard of them, and it doesn't help that they've been wrong. There are guys like Herbstreit and Rece Davis, who you really can't tell went to Ohio State and Alabama respectively, then there are guys like Galloway and Kanell who are a mockery to their profession.

Just a couple quotes:
"Win or lose I don't see how anyone in their right mind can say Bama is a Top 10 team right now" - Danny Kannel, this year.
"Does anyone in the SEC play defense?" - Joey Galloway

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Because people start discussions about him on sports forums like this one.

Idiocy has been a lucrative form of entertainment for as long as man could speak.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'm just glad someone threw enough money, at him, to lure him out of Dallas. It means I can turn on the radio with essentially no chance of ever hearing that Vanderbilt-educated schmuck.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I don't watch much talk TV. From time to time I run across a video clip or article that I post a link to. The Cowherd/Klatt Saban is the problem at Bama comes to mind. Totally stupid and inaccurate, so much so that I would think every college football fan would get a kick out of it. I have watched it several times and probably will watch it again. To see Klatt sitting there with a straight face saying that is Priceless. Just Priceless.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.