Why does any network pay Skip Brainless to talk on tv?

knowledge

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 6, 2007
Madison
I get that networks contrive nonsense just for the sake of having something to talk about, and I can even grudgingly respect a clever troll, but he never adds anything clever or interesting.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I get that networks contrive nonsense just for the sake of having something to talk about, and I can even grudgingly respect a clever troll, but he never adds anything clever or interesting.
Is this the part where I ask "what did he say?"

I'm taking it you are referring to his comment about it being disgusting that Clemson scores 40 but still loses.ESPN first take is a point/counterpoint show. To have it interesting you have to have two differing viewpoints. Skip plays an obnoxious personality, while Stephen a plays the guy that has to argue with him. Most of the topics outside of the nba and nfl I think they give them both their stance in the argument. You can sorta tell by some of the things they say about college football.

Yeah, I actually like that show. I don't mind Skip, he is going to be who he is.
Is this the part where I ask "what did he say?"

I'm taking it you are referring to his comment about it being disgusting that Clemson scores 40 but still loses.ESPN first take is a point/counterpoint show. To have it interesting you have to have two differing viewpoints. Skip plays an obnoxious personality, while Stephen a plays the guy that has to argue with him. Most of the topics outside of the nba and nfl I think they give them both their stance in the argument. You can sorta tell by some of the things they say about college football.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
He once lied about his basketball career and was called out on it (google it). Since then he has no credibility with me and this is treated like the worm he is.

And Duda, Chicago also couldn't wait to get rid of him.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's like pro wrestling - Skip is a character. He plays the villain well but at times you can watch and tell even he doesn't believe what he's saying.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't watch the show but a program where Stephen A. Smith is the non-annoying one just boggles my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Ratings. He says controversial/outlandish things that generate discussion around his show and network. He brings in eyeballs. People who don't care for him seem to tune in anyway to see what he'll say. Yourself, for example.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I don't watch the show but a program where Stephen A. Smith is the non-annoying one just boggles my mind.
It's interesting. I don't mind Stephen A. Smith. I get it though. He has said some outrageous things. However, I've tended to feel that when he has time to really sit and contemplate an issue for an extended period of time, he typically has a very well reasoned and thoughtful response that is articulated in a very clear manner. A lot of his more cringe-worthy material comes when he is being reactionary to an evenIMMEDIATELY after it has happened...or he is theorizing or speculating...which happens with everybody in sports. And next to Skip he looks like Neil Degrasse Tyson.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Ratings. He says controversial/outlandish things that generate discussion around his show and network. He brings in eyeballs. People who don't care for him seem to tune in anyway to see what he'll say. Yourself, for example.
The same people complain about Bayless and Smith complain about Cowherd, Galloway, Kannell, and Brando and others who don't worship Alabama and CNS. They hate them but love to watch so they can come on Tidefans and have something to say. If you can't stand them, don't watch them. I know there are quite a few on here who would be appreciative.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I said this exact thing last night when watching the rerun of their morning show. My entire family cracked up and agreed.

knowledge

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 6, 2007
Madison
The same people complain about Bayless and Smith complain about Cowherd, Galloway, Kannell, and Brando and others who don't worship Alabama and CNS. They hate them but love to watch so they can come on Tidefans and have something to say. If you can't stand them, don't watch them. I know there are quite a few on here who would be appreciative.
I've actually never complained about any of those others that you mentioned (also I have defended Danielson because I think that he is knowledgable and unbiased). As I originally stated I understand that some media personnel do troll fanbases. But I don't think Skip even does that well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've actually never complained about any of those others that you mentioned (also I have defended Danielson because I think that he is knowledgable and unbiased). As I originally stated I understand that some media personnel do troll fanbases. But I don't think Skip even does that well.
Skip doesn't troll a particular fan base, but more of a national perception. Examples include: he praises teams like the Spurs and warriors who base their teams off of many great players and puts down one trick pony teams (primarily lebron teams) that the majority nba fans like. He also is notorious for knocking the manning legacy and the Andrew luck fanbase. To argue these points that a majority of fans of the sports like, you have to be obnoxious but also unique. Where Bayless and finebaum succeed where cowherd and kannel fail is they have this one odd fact in all the bull malarkey that all the fanboys have a hard time disputing that is more relevant than most anti common public opinion analysts try to use. Case and point: skip has continually pointed out lebron rarely succeeds in buzzer beaters, manning had 3 tds and 7ints in the postseason in which he won the super bowl, and anything he says about Andrew luck.

The problem with your complaint is one that I have with the show. The show is more a nfl and nba show, but when they go to college football and mlb it seems that they are rehearsed opinions in which Stephen A must take the favorites and skip must take the underdogs. I will say what skip said about Saban vs the bear was one of the better takes on that argument until his forced character BIG XII shoutout came out.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Well said, Gray...lol.....

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
IIRC, Stephen A. Smith recently signed a long term deal with ESPN for ~$2 Million/year. I think Skip gets paid somewhere in that neighborhood also. Skip has picked against Alabama in every national championship game under CNS. You would think he would have learned by now..

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
IIRC, Stephen A. Smith recently signed a long term deal with ESPN for ~$2 Million/year. I think Skip gets paid somewhere in that neighborhood also. Skip has picked against Alabama in every national championship game under CNS. You would think he would have learned by now..
He has learned very well that he can get paid more as a troll than a homer.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Preach it brother!!!!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is from 2011. People dig these up regularly now. Almost everything Skips says or tweets is incorrect at the time of saying it or proves to be incorrect over time..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.