Coach Saban concerned about Bowl system

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The four-team playoff should be doubled to eight teams. The champion of each Power 5 conference would earn an automatic bid, along with the top-ranked team from the remaining Football Bowl Subdivision leagues. The final two spots would be wild cards, the highest-ranked remaining teams regardless of affiliation.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/column-saban-concerned-about-bowl-system-–-and-should-be

Why do so many people think Troy or Bowling Green needs to be in the Big Boy playoff just because they go undefeated? I oppose the "regardless of affiliation" 100%. Next they will be trying to get N Dakota State into the CG.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The four-team playoff should be doubled to eight teams.
The irony is that it appears you, as well as the person who write the article are using Saban's words against doing this, to argue for it.

Saban thinks 15 games is already a lot to ask of the players. He also worries about the impact on the bowl games. So, the resolution of course is more games and to lessen the importance of the bowl games? Enjoy the slippery slope. I guess some people just won't be happy until they ruin everything that is unique about college football and make it into an all inclusive bunch of nonsense that includes 4 loss or even unranked teams in a playoff.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
The only good thing about this 4 team playoff is it does make the big traditional bowl games important again when they are in the rotation. I think it would be better if the NC game was actually a bowl game too. Like we should have won the Fiesta and the NC on Monday.

But never in my entire life have I truly said to myself, "Man, the #8 team or the #5 team really deserves to be in the national championship game". Regular season is your playoff.

But ESPN is constantly pushing for it just like they pushed for the current playoff not because they think it is more fair or better, but because it creates more junk to talk about. Herbie himself said it would create more chaos which is "good for the fans". They own this sport right now and they want to shape it into the best possible revenue producing form they can. But people just go along with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Compare Alabama and Clemson to teams 3-8. Who would deserve to play in NC? Based on the game, the top two teams made it. No need for more games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The four-team playoff should be doubled to eight teams. The champion of each Power 5 conference would earn an automatic bid, along with the top-ranked team from the remaining Football Bowl Subdivision leagues. The final two spots would be wild cards, the highest-ranked remaining teams regardless of affiliation.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/column-saban-concerned-about-bowl-system-–-and-should-be

Why do so many people think Troy or Bowling Green needs to be in the Big Boy playoff just because they go undefeated? I oppose the "regardless of affiliation" 100%. Next they will be trying to get N Dakota State into the CG.
I thought Alabama and North Dakota State were playing next week for the World Championship.

TV ratings seem to be the big factor which translates to money. I can't imagine Clemson and Alabama having to have played one additional playoff game this year. This would be such a strain on teams, schools and fans.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
To go to 8 team playoff they would have to reduce the regular season to 11 games to keep the total number of games to 15. That or eliminate the conference championship games and just let the committee pick the top 8.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
More games = more money. I don't think the powers that be really care about "too many games".

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is not an argument to expand the playoff, but I've always said more college football would be a good thing.

I also don't think the academic schedules pose a real problem. Other than allowing for a time for finals in December, the schools have plenty of academic support staff to help these players deal with any conflicts that might arise near the beginning of the spring semester.

Now, how it might affect recruiting is another topic.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm concerned about bowl game system. WE played 15 games this year. Players even admitted they were tired and worn out from the travel and logisitic wise. If we expand to 8... That means, by now we would be playing for championship next week. We probably would have more injuries, and on top of that, it affects the recuiting period, and then NFL deadline, NFL job openings, and affects the number of bowl games.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The irony is that it appears you, as well as the person who write the article are using Saban's words against doing this, to argue for it.
KrAzY3, I did not write the words, all I did was paste. The only thing wrote was I am against the regardless of affiliation. I don't want to expand it and I NEVER want to see a Sun Belt, MAC or CUSA team in the playoff.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
4 was the most without changing the feel of the season that has been known for over a century.

Major Bowl games should NEVER be marginalized, like the double billing. Example having the Sugar Bowl as the opening act followed by hosting the championship game. Always ensure a Bowl game is the championship game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The four-team playoff should be doubled to eight teams.
Because what the world needs now is FOUR MORE blowouts per year like Oregon over FSU, Alabama over Michigan St, and (slightly lesser) Clemson over OU. Four semi-final games have been played and exactly one - Ohio St-Bama - has been decent.

The champion of each Power 5 conference would earn an automatic bid, along with the top-ranked team from the remaining Football Bowl Subdivision leagues. The final two spots would be wild cards, the highest-ranked remaining teams regardless of affiliation.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2011 - "It's unfair because Alabama DIDN'T EVEN WIN ITS OWN DIVISION but got into the game ahead of Oklahoma State!!!! How can you be the best team in the country when you're not the best in your own division?" (insert irrelevant diatribe about OSU plane crash that killed basketball coaches.....)

COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2015 - "It's unfair because Ohio State WAS THE BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY but that conference champion criteria punished them" (insert argument about how many unranked teams Alabama played compared to Ohio State as of the day of the Michigan St game)

This is parallel to how OJ's lawyers tried to view domestic violence ("Hey, just because he beat her doesn't mean he killed her").

Let's turn it around - "why do so many people think Ohio State who LOST THEIR DIVISION belongs in the playoff but Iowa who WON THEIRS does not?"

(The moment anyone says "SoS," Ohio State loses out this year),

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The only good thing about this 4 team playoff is it does make the big traditional bowl games important again when they are in the rotation. I think it would be better if the NC game was actually a bowl game too. Like we should have won the Fiesta and the NC on Monday.
I don't recall much about a Cotton Bowl or an Orangle Bowl much. I just know they were playoff games. "Bowl" really means nothing as far as the playoffs are concerned. Half the teams in the Power 5 bowls (or BCS bowls or whatever the heck you call them -- see? I don't even know what they're referred to as a group of bowls now) are butt-hurt they didn't get into the playoffs and then some get plowed by teams who have hardly any business being in them. The rest of the bowls I only keep on TV as sound in the background while working. I have almost no interest in any bowls since last season.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2011 - "It's unfair because Alabama DIDN'T EVEN WIN ITS OWN DIVISION but got into the game ahead of Oklahoma State!!!! How can you be the best team in the country when you're not the best in your own division?" (insert irrelevant diatribe about OSU plane crash that killed basketball coaches.....)
This is a reason why we now have a 4 team playoff imo. Was it OSU that was behind us? Regardless it started the firestorm that helped quickly usher in the 4 teams. 8 teams would make that possible again, and that is too many.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
KrAzY3, I did not write the words, all I did was paste. The only thing wrote was I am against the regardless of affiliation. I don't want to expand it and I NEVER want to see a Sun Belt, MAC or CUSA team in the playoff.
Sorry, I have to admit I see red a bit on some subjects and this is one of them. The context threw me off a bit and I could barely stomach reading the article. While befuddled, I misinterpreted your words as being supportive of the argument, even with lack of quotes and italics it should have been easy to discern what was your words and what wasn't. My apologies.

Anyway, back on track... I'm just so tired of hearing arguments for the 8 team playoff. I knew it would come, and I still feel like two teams would have been better instead of four. Make no mistake though, they do want automatic entrants (I still strongly argue it should only be the top 4, period) and they'd like nothing more than to sneak in a Boise State or two while they are at it. They don't want the top 8, they know the top 8 would be kind of pointless, they want to be inclusive and I hate that this is the path we're now on.

More games would hurt. The bowl system is already a mess as it is. Adding more games only adds to it. Not sure why the #8 seed deserves to be in the discussion. This isn't the NFL. I know they'll look at the FCS for a model to use. FCS doesn't have 1000 other bowl games to deal with either. It's just the playoffs and that's it. 4 team playoff is perfect. Like the talking heads talk. Coaches really don't want that. That's too much on one team.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
They need to leave it alone. If eight team are in then what is there to argue over? All five major conferences and Notre Dame would be in. This year Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, Mich St, Stanford, Notre Dame, Ohio State and someone else. Someone getting the shaft is part of the appeal, to me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.