Clemson players and coaches already saying they'll be back

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes I'll wait and see, though I have no issue with them being confident in making it back.

But I didn't realize the championship game was in Tampa next year. That's interesting.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think they will be atleast one of the 4 teams left next year. They were an extremely young team that handled being #1 well throughout the season. It took an onside kick and some really gutsy second half play calling on offense to beat them. This kinda reminds me of the 08 Florida game in which an undefeated young team plays out of their mind against an experienced monster only to fall when they finally make 1 or 2 crucial mistakes. The question is will they be the 09 bama in their response to coming up short.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes I'll wait and see, though I have no issue with them being confident in making it back.

But I didn't realize the championship game was in Tampa next year. That's interesting.
Well wait til you hear that 17 it's in Atlanta and 18 it's in Santa Clara... Btw the semis are phoniex and Atlanta next year.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Yeah, I get where you are coming from. They ran their mouths leading up to the game. They've got a really good looking team coming back. Just sounds like a confident bunch. Hard to win em all each year, though. That's the joy of college football; every year is a different team. New faces and new players. The same thing wins that always won, though... I think someone famous said that:wink:

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Very true. At the beginning of every season, every team is new and different from the one that proceeded it. This season's team was exceptional, and atypical of Clemson. Yes, they got to the top and remained undefeated until Monday.
At this point in the year, talk is cheap.
Seriously though, I can't blame them for being optimistic. If I have to make a bet today based on everything I know at this point, the smart money is on Clemson returning to the NC game and probably winning it. After the last two seasons where our teams didn't initially meet the eye test, I think I've learned to never count us out either. Actually, the last 3 NC's we've won, we've been #2. Food for thought.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Odds makers would probably agree with their statements.
Las Vegas Sports Book has Clemson and Oklhoma at 7-1 odds to win the CFP next year. Alabama is the only team with better odds (6-1).

Unfortunately for Clemson, history isn't on their side. Since the beginning of the BCS (1998), the loser of the championship game has had 3+ losses the following season 9 times. Three times the loser of the championship game went unranked in the final AP poll the following year. Eleven times the loser finished ranked outside the AP Top 5.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Great. Let's just make through the 2016 season first. They got some serious schedule for next year... two teams to be concerned.. Auburn and South Carolina. Either they could get lot better or get worse. If I was Clemson, I would make some changes.. because it's likely the teams will spend more time in off season, contacting coaches about their offense and defense and how to expolit them. No way they can come back undefeated or with 1 loss

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Did I miss something? I just found it interesting that Tampa got the bid to host the game next year.
I think the idea was that Raymond James stadium had a huge turnout for super bowl XLIII. I would've preferred Houston or Minnesota (if the new dome is finished by then) over Tampa if they wanted to go with former super bowl cities without huge bowl games. The best thing about Tampa for me is that it is in driving distance. I'm just hoping we make it. But then again I'm still celebrating this season

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Las Vegas Sports Book has Clemson and Oklhoma at 7-1 odds to win the CFP next year. Alabama is the only team with better odds (6-1).

Unfortunately for Clemson, history isn't on their side. Since the beginning of the BCS (1998), the loser of the championship game has had 3+ losses the following season 9 times. Three times the loser of the championship game went unranked in the final AP poll the following year. Eleven times the loser finished ranked outside the AP Top 5.
This is probably because most teams are more experienced than Clemson, and lose more players than they will.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I wont be shocked if Clemson runs the table again. They have a fine team and a fine coaching staff.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is probably because most teams are more experienced than Clemson, and lose more players than they will.
That is true. However, they're losing more on the defense this year. Dodd has already declared for the draft. Lawson and Alexander are most likely gone, too.

@DavidHaleESPN Shaq & Dodd combined for 1,378 snaps at DE heading into the title game.Rest of Clemson’s DEs combined for 435.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
They should be. Depends on whether Dabo can curb the sense of entitlement for a young group having never been there before.
:pDT_popc1:
This. Depends on how well they handle "success". And I remember the 1993 team from Alabama, where it seemed everyone just expected David Palmer to do everything for the offense. I would guess that some kind of overuse of Watson will eventually stop Clemson.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.