Question: Any word circulating on whether Kiffin will be returning or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I like the post on reminding CLK of OJ Howard....lost the quote though....

That's pretty sharp...LOL.

I don't think CLK will go anywhere until it is a head coaching gig....he has it too good here.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Kiffin turned down UCLA OC jobUCLA offered the offensive coordinator job to Lane Kiffin before eventually promoting RB coach Kennedy Polamalu. Kiffin turned down the job in the days before Alabama's win in the national title game. (via ESPN's Brett McMurphy)

Lane can hop on a plane and be in LA anytime, but he cannot hop a plane and coach in the college playoff's. You have to consider this a shot in the dark for UCLA.
Lane is basking in the sunlight from his tenure under coach Saban like at no other time in his career. That could all be gone with a bad move, and he knows this.

Him taking the OC at an inferior team would have dumbfounded the national media. A shot in the dark more than him turning down a job imo.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That UCLA story is breaking all over he place now! Now I wanna know who else he has talked with cause she is not the only one, cant be!
He probably got several OC offers.... What i'm more interested right now is with NFL OC hiring.... Chip Kelly, That guy with Giants... But I don't know if Kiffin really wants to go back to NFL now... I think he enjoys developing players... I think his best shot at HC is to stay at alabama one more year and He convinced CNS on that...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
That UCLA story is breaking all over he place now! Now I wanna know who else he has talked with cause she is not the only one, cant be!
But to counter, Lane is in the news because of what he is doing now and who he is coaching for. And if the most unattractive girl in school asks you out, better to sincerely say "no", rather than laugh at her. You may need her one day after all lol.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
He probably got several OC offers.... What i'm more interested right now is with NFL OC hiring.... Chip Kelly, That guy with Giants... But I don't know if Kiffin really wants to go back to NFL now... I think he enjoys developing players... I think his best shot at HC is to stay at alabama one more year and He convinced CNS on that...
Giants are rumored to be hiring Philbin the former Dolphins coach. The Giants new HC and Philbin worked together at GB under McCarthy. No way the Mara family is going to put up with Lane. They hire the assistants, kinda like Jerry Jones. (Except they understand football and listen to input.) They have already announced Spagnolo is returning as DC alond with the D staff.

SF is the only OC job in the NFL that worries me... They want to run the O Lane prefers and it is close enough to So Cal he could see his family weekly.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Giants are rumored to be hiring Philbin the former Dolphins coach. The Giants new HC and Philbin worked together at GB under McCarthy. No way the Mara family is going to put up with Lane. They hire the assistants, kinda like Jerry Jones. (Except they understand football and listen to input.) They have already announced Spagnolo is returning as DC alond with the D staff.

SF is the only OC job in the NFL that worries me... They want to run the O Lane prefers and it is close enough to So Cal he could see his family weekly.
What do you mean by "put up"?

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I don't think he leaves unless Coach wants him gone. I just don't see him leaving us for another college OC job, and it's 50/50 IMHO that he would take a NFL OC job.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Ian reported on twitter that Name to watch for #49ers coach Chip Kelly's offensive coordinator: Ryan Day. The 35-year old spent a year as QB coach with Kelly, ex-BC OC

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I have no inside info or basis for writing this other than a feeling that I think Coach Saban respects the job Kiffin does, and pretty much likes him. To me, they're very similar personalities. In reality, they're both difficult, and somewhat arrogant. Can you say "just alike"?
From my uninformed personal observations, I think Kiffn will be at Bama for a long time to come.
Just my opinion.
sip

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I have no inside info or basis for writing this other than a feeling that I think Coach Saban respects the job Kiffin does, and pretty much likes him. To me, they're very similar personalities. In reality, they're both difficult, and somewhat arrogant. Can you say "just alike"?
From my uninformed personal observations, I think Kiffn will be at Bama for a long time to come.
Just my opinion.
sip
Agree. And that one is offense and the other defense makes it easier for them to coexist.

It would be interesting to see a typical week following him. I bet a lot of that time is running his department as the boss, which helps the ego. The feeling of importance might be greater than being a head coach at mid level school.

I think Auburn will come knocking next year, just like they did with Pat Dye.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Agree. And that one is offense and the other defense makes it easier for them to coexist.

It would be interesting to see a typical week following him. I bet a lot of that time is running his department as the boss, which helps the ego. The feeling of importance might be greater than being a head coach at mid level school.

I think Auburn will come knocking next year, just like they did with Pat Dye.

Hopefully Malzahn will stay 5 more years. Auburn deserves Malzahn, LOL

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Is anyone privy to details of Kiffin's contract? The last I read he was making $600,000, any off field issue's aside, he is due for a raise imo. Decide if you want to keep him, and if you do, look at his production, and give him a raise. Coker and Sims both passed for over 3,000 yards, AJ never passed for 3,000. Imagine Kiffin AJ, and Cooper? I think we would have won a NC with Kiffin in 2013. Coker threw zero int's in his last 5 games, that's good coaching.

Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Is anyone privy to details of Kiffin's contract? The last I read he was making $600,000, any off field issue's aside, he is due for a raise imo. Decide if you want to keep him, and if you do, look at his production, and give him a raise. Coker and Sims both passed for over 3,000 yards, AJ never passed for 3,000. Imagine Kiffin AJ, and Cooper? I think we would have won a NC with Kiffin in 2013. Coker threw zero int's in his last 5 games, that's good coaching.
Kiffin is still being paid on his USC contract. So no matter what we pay him, it will not increase his overall income. If he is still at Bama after his USC contract expires he will make a whole lot more money. Until then it makes no difference what we pay him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.