Question: Any word circulating on whether Kiffin will be returning or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Kiffin is still being paid on his USC contract. So no matter what we pay him, it will not increase his overall income. If he is still at Bama after his USC contract expires he will make a whole lot more money. Until then it makes no difference what we pay him.
.That is valuable information and I thank you. I knew that USC had something to do with him not getting a raise this year with the other coaches, but now I know.....the rest of the story. If he was just what we saw on the field, he's worth a 1 mil imo. I was against him roaming the sidelines, but after watching his enthusiasm and interaction, I am sold that it helps. Watching both the offense and defensive coordinators being so energetic with coach Saban right in the middle was great. There was nearly some competition going on in that regard.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Kiffin is still being paid on his USC contract. So no matter what we pay him, it will not increase his overall income. If he is still at Bama after his USC contract expires he will make a whole lot more money. Until then it makes no difference what we pay him.
Well, it does.... USC pays him $600,000 minus whatever we pay him. I think we pay him $220,000 so USC makes up the difference. I am uncertain as to when this arrangement ends. When it does, you can be sure we offer him around a mil...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well, it does.... USC pays him $600,000 minus whatever we pay him. I think we pay him $220,000 so USC makes up the difference. I am uncertain as to when this arrangement ends. When it does, you can be sure we offer him around a mil...

how does that work with bonuses, etc. do the assistant coaches get performance bonuses for sec championships and nat' championships?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think its probably better for both CNS and CLK to atleast stay with each other for another year. This might be the best offensive group suited for CLK's type offense if Blake Barnett, or whomever, is ready enough to run it.

bamajag600

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2006
Hawaii
Those figures seem really low. From what I could find, Kiffin is still due somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.4 to 3.8 Million a year from USC. He is getting paid $680,000 a year from Bama, so I assume that he still gets around 3 mil a year in buyout from USC. This is why Kiffin was the only assistant coach that didn't get a raise last June. I also assume that there is some rule stating that you must pay a coach a salary that is a reasonable market value figure; otherwise, Bama could pay CLK $30,000 and have USC foot 99% of the bill.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Those figures seem really low. From what I could find, Kiffin is still due somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.4 to 3.8 Million a year from USC. He is getting paid $680,000 a year from Bama, so I assume that he still gets around 3 mil a year in buyout from USC. This is why Kiffin was the only assistant coach that didn't get a raise last June. I also assume that there is some rule stating that you must pay a coach a salary that is a reasonable market value figure; otherwise, Bama could pay CLK $30,000 and have USC foot 99% of the bill.
Usually the contracts, which are very exhaustive and lengthy, have safeguards against that...

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
I liked how Kiffin called plays towards the end of the year A LOT more than the beginning of the year.
Well, he really didn't have a proven commodity at QB. Once Coker settled into the starting role by the LSU game, I think it made play calling a lot easier since it opened up so much more of what other teams had to game plan against.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
San Francisco 49ers: Eagles quarterbacks coach Ryan Day will follow Chip Kelly to the 49ers as offensive coordinator or quarterbacks coach, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Day spent one year with the Eagles after coming from Boston College.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
San Francisco 49ers: Eagles quarterbacks coach Ryan Day will follow Chip Kelly to the 49ers as offensive coordinator or quarterbacks coach, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Day spent one year with the Eagles after coming from Boston College.
Good news for us.

Anybody know if there are any NFL OC jobs currently unfilled?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
BAMM! Glad to hear the SF job is taken now, thanks for posting 81! Cant see him going to Tampa, so feeling better about this.
Agreed.

If his objective is a HC position, whether college or NFL, Kiffin has a choice:

1. A new HC at a historically-struggling franchise in the NFL, with all the risk that entails, albeit with Jameis Winston, though not a lot else,

oooorrrrr...

2. The most stable program in college football, with national-class talent at every position, and the chance to learn for one more year from the best coach in the game.

No brainer to me.

Note: I freely admit to being a nay-sayer when Kiffin was hired. But facts is facts. I was wrong and Saban was right.

Imagine that.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Agreed.

If his objective is a HC position, whether college or NFL, Kiffin has a choice:

1. A new HC at a historically-struggling franchise in the NFL, with all the risk that entails, albeit with Jameis Winston, though not a lot else,

oooorrrrr...

2. The most stable program in college football, with national-class talent at every position, and the chance to learn for one more year from the best coach in the game.

No brainer to me.

Note: I freely admit to being a nay-sayer when Kiffin was hired. But facts is facts. I was wrong and Saban was right.

Imagine that.
The only thing I'll disagree with is that Tampa has little else on offense. They're actually pretty stacked when healthy.

Jameis
Doug Martin (second leading rusher in NFL this year)
Mike Evans
Vincent Jackson
Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (if he's healthy the kid can ball)

If they shore up the line a bit more, they'll be a great offense as long as Winston continues his maturation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Kiffin wouldn't have had any latitude to call plays with Kelly at the helm. At Alabama, CNS, from what I can tell, seems to trust him to call the game and I think as the season went on, we saw CLK making most of the decisions with CNS listening in and not necessarily interjecting. One more year CLK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.