Question: Any word circulating on whether Kiffin will be returning or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
the Chiefs?
The Chiefs will be open assuming Pederson gets the Eagles job. Tennessee may be open as they just hired Mularkey as their permanent head coach. I still think staying with Saban is his best bet but, would be interesting to see if he took a job in Tennessee.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Pederson did get the Eagles job. Prolly starts tomorrow with KC gettin beat today. All this talk is NFL stuff and I'm not seeing NFL (SF was only one), another night has fallen and Kiffin is still wearing Crimson. Altho, I want that black jacket he was wearing for the playoffs. UA needs to market that as the - Kiffin play called hands up in the air Coker to OJ Black TD jacket!!! I'm ready to buy one now!

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Note: I freely admit to being a nay-sayer when Kiffin was hired. But facts is facts. I was wrong and Saban was right.

Imagine that.
Completely agree, when Kiffin was hired I admit I didn't like the hire myself. Fast forward 2 years later an I don't want him to ever leave. His ability to develop QB's, play calling acumen and his passion/interaction with the players has truely impressed me. I'm secretly hoping he becomes our HC in waiting! I can't believe I just typed that! Thanks Coach Saban for yet another terrific addition to the program!

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
not many openings for kiffin. I have liked his hire since day one. I remember him taking their qb Compton, strictly a strong armed qb with no touch, or qb savvy and turning him into a winner, in one year. sound familiar. so much improved, that he is still on a nfl roster. he is too smart to
the tenn job. titans wll never spend money on needed free agents. I live in tenn 60 miles south of Nashville, and the titans ownership has never spent money to help this team. yea, rehire assistant that only won one game as acting coach.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
A story from ESPN about Kiffin. I was one of those people puzzled by the hire. Kept telling myself that Saban knows what he is doing.

The results speak for themselves. Loudly.

"It’s time to put aside all of those old Lane Kiffin descriptors: loud, cocky, underachiever, etc. Like all gossip -- and that’s all it ever was during his stops as a head coach -- we need to give it a rest."

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/...ne-kiffin-has-earned-the-benefit-of-the-doubt

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
It's fun reading some of the Kiffin testimonies! The past few weeks some of the arguments Ive had with my Bama friends over the past couple years have changed. Feels good, glad we can all move on and embrace greatness now.

One thing I haven't really seen mentioned is his swagger! I feel like that has proven to be pretty key as well for us, it was needed. Underneath that is confidence. Our team fed off that and just seemed to work. I think coach Saban likes it too.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
not many openings for kiffin. I have liked his hire since day one. I remember him taking their qb Compton, strictly a strong armed qb with no touch, or qb savvy and turning him into a winner, in one year. sound familiar. so much improved, that he is still on a nfl roster. he is too smart to
the tenn job. titans wll never spend money on needed free agents. I live in tenn 60 miles south of Nashville, and the titans ownership has never spent money to help this team. yea, rehire assistant that only won one game as acting coach.
With all clutter aside I kept going back to Crompton and the difference between the team the year before and the year after he was there.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Well, he really didn't have a proven commodity at QB. Once Coker settled into the starting role by the LSU game, I think it made play calling a lot easier since it opened up so much more of what other teams had to game plan against.
All the more reason he should have leaned more on the running game more at the beginning and not changed QBs vs OM. Henry wasn't getting near the carries per game towards the beginning of the year than he was towards the end.

It probably was a good learning experience for LK over the season as well so i am glad. We came out very balanced using a power running game against Wisconsin but got away from that the next several games.

He is very talented but still can improve. He didn't call the perfect season to build an offensive identity. It happened towards the end of the season though.

RTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am going to go out on a limb and say that I believe it is 90% Kiffin is the OC next year. I am not seeing anything to the contrary, and we are into mid January.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
All the more reason he should have leaned more on the running game more at the beginning and not changed QBs vs OM. Henry wasn't getting near the carries per game towards the beginning of the year than he was towards the end.

It probably was a good learning experience for LK over the season as well so i am glad. We came out very balanced using a power running game against Wisconsin but got away from that the next several games.

He is very talented but still can improve. He didn't call the perfect season to build an offensive identity. It happened towards the end of the season though.

RTR

I saw him doing the same thing he did last year - implement new aspects of the offense each week.

The QB issue against Ole Miss could have been different if Bateman had done what the coaches wanted him to do and keep the ball on some of the zone-read calls.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I am going to go out on a limb and say that I believe it is 90% Kiffin is the OC next year. I am not seeing anything to the contrary, and we are into mid January.
At this point, if he were leaving, I would think Saban would ask him to stay through signing day; so it could still happen. Not too hard to look to determine if there are any potential landing places for him and figure it out.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Going to be tough to keep him if he has an itch to coach in the NFL. He should probably only be concerned about Kelly's longevity and the viability of that offense. I hope we keep him for at least one more year. Would be tough to find a good replacement this late in the game. All faith in Coach Saban either way.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Going to be tough to keep him if he has an itch to coach in the NFL. He should probably only be concerned about Kelly's longevity and the viability of that offense. I hope we keep him for at least one more year. Would be tough to find a good replacement this late in the game. All faith in Coach Saban either way.
Agree. It would be late in the game to find a replacement (hope he does not leave). If he does, we have a couple of good possibilities on the current staff that would probably make very good OC's.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I took Kiffin at his word about having loyalty towards Saban and wanting to stay at Bama another season when this article came out on Dec.27, 2015:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...rn-alabama-crimson-tide-offensive-coordinator
"I'd love to be back," Kiffin said. "We'll have a new set of challenges with a third year of a new quarterback and replacing a Heisman Trophy winner [Derrick Henry], just as we did with a Biletnikoff winner the year before [Amari Cooper], and some great returning players to work with. I'd be real excited about that."
Notice in the above quote there is no disclaimer "unless I get a better offer..."

This quote was about an offer after Kiffin's first season at Bama...he expresses a debt of gratitude and loyalty to Saban:

Kiffin had a chance to leave after his first season at Alabama when he was offered the offensive coordinator job with the San Francisco 49ers, but he didn't want to leave after just one year with Saban.

"It didn't feel right," Kiffin said. "He really took a chance on me. The phone wasn't ringing, even for assistant coaching jobs. It wasn't, and I felt like we didn't really finish what we started last year and to see if we could go this year and finish how we should have finished last year and get him another championship."
On one hand, I've been surprised Saban hasn't said whether he wants Kiffin back or not. I would hope Kiffin has an understanding as to whether he still has a job at Bama in 2016 if he wants to stay. On the other hand, if Saban wants to keep him, then the quotes from Kiffin posted here should be taken at face value...he likes coaching under Saban at Bama and owes Saban for reviving his career.

It will be interesting to see what happens. My personal preference is if Saban wants him back, then Kiffin owes it to Saban to stay, especially after Kiffin saying as much himself in the above interview.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I read in an article that Chip Kelly would be calling the plays for the 49ers so I'm not sure why Lane would want to go there..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.