Question: Any word circulating on whether Kiffin will be returning or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It makes no sense to me that he would join Chip Kelly and the 49ers.. to me that is another boneheaded career move that he will regret. The only similarity in their offensive style is that Lane has added the HUNH element to his offense over the years. Kelly is the most overrated offensive mind/head coach in the game today and he will be fired after a few seasons with San Fran, if he lasts that long.

But I wish Kiffin well, regardless.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I took Kiffin at his word about having loyalty towards Saban and wanting to stay at Bama another season when this article came out on Dec.27, 2015:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...rn-alabama-crimson-tide-offensive-coordinator

Notice in the above quote there is no disclaimer "unless I get a better offer..."

This quote was about an offer after Kiffin's first season at Bama...he expresses a debt of gratitude and loyalty to Saban:

On one hand, I've been surprised Saban hasn't said whether he wants Kiffin back or not. I would hope Kiffin has an understanding as to whether he still has a job at Bama in 2016 if he wants to stay. On the other hand, if Saban wants to keep him, then the quotes from Kiffin posted here should be taken at face value...he likes coaching under Saban at Bama and owes Saban for reviving his career.

It will be interesting to see what happens. My personal preference is if Saban wants him back, then Kiffin owes it to Saban to stay, especially after Kiffin saying as much himself in the above interview.
Reading your post, if Coach Saban has not extended him an offer at this point to return than, he has no choice but to take the SF job.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
What exactly would an OC do for a Chip Kelly team? Hold up one of those signs for the play calls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Per Ian Rapoport on Twitter Kelly may not hire a staff by Wed., but he's working on it. A key OC candidate for #49ers: #Lions run-game coordinator Curtis Modkins

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What exactly would an OC do for a Chip Kelly team? Hold up one of those signs for the play calls?
Kiffin is also known as a very good QB coach. He can help create the plays, develop the QB, etc. - an OC is a lot more than the guy you see calling plays during the game...

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Kiffin is also known as a very good QB coach. He can help create the plays, develop the QB, etc. - an OC is a lot more than the guy you see calling plays during the game...
And that's the concerning factor in this case considering all the mid season talk about this being his last season with CNS. Hope he stays if he in fact wants to. Probably not an ideal situation if he's stays solely due to the gratitude factor.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Loss of Herman was a huge problem for the Bucks this season.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Maybe Chip Kelly was in Tuscaloosa not to talk with Kiffin, but to actually help our offense with a few plays. Heck he was fired, so he was available to roam. Maybe Clemson could have called him too but didn't!

The report is a lil worrisome, but it just seems late in the game for Kiffin to jump ship and go to SF! I'm sticking with he will stay with Bama. ugh lol now Im nervous again!

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Maybe Chip Kelly was in Tuscaloosa not to talk with Kiffin, but to actually help our offense with a few plays. Heck he was fired, so he was available to roam. Maybe Clemson could have called him too but didn't!

The report is a lil worrisome, but it just seems late in the game for Kiffin to jump ship and go to SF! I'm sticking with he will stay with Bama. ugh lol now Im nervous again!
Anyone know how the word of Kelly circulated? I would strongly believe it had to do with helping the defense, what coach would come down personally during the playoffs and interview your OC. Did he even have the SF job? So he came down in person to interview Kiffin for a hypocritical job? He helped the defense imo.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Talking about offensive coordinators - Shula has done a heck of a job at North Carolina with the QB and offense. I wonder how long before his name is bandied about as a possible head coach in either college or the pros?

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Talking about offensive coordinators - Shula has done a heck of a job at North Carolina with the QB and offense. I wonder how long before his name is bandied about as a possible head coach in either college or the pros?
He has, along with Cam maturing into an adult.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This story suggest that Kelly was invited by the program but he did have contact, but his visit was not to interview Kiffin. The author also believes the "lure of Tuscaloosa" could be to strong for SF even if they offer. The million $ question is if Kiffin wants to be a college coach. He made a recent statement that he will not call plays, like CNS, when he gets his next head coaching position, which is a pro college statement. NFL coaches have general managers and it is easier for them to call their own plays, you are the coach and general manager in college, and it takes more delegating imo than the NFL. One more year under CNS, the offers will come.

Last edited:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Be careful, say anything good about Shula and people fall over themselves to rip your throat out around here.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This story suggest that Kelly was invited by the program but he did have contact, but his visit was not to interview Kiffin. The author also believes the "lure of Tuscaloosa" could be to strong for SF even if they offer. The million $ question is if Kiffin wants to be a college coach. He made a recent statement that he will not call plays, like CNS, when he gets his next head coaching position, which is a pro college statement. NFL coaches have general managers and it is easier for them to call their own plays, you are the coach and general manager in college, and it takes more delegating imo than the NFL. One more year under CNS, the offers will come.
Especially if Barnett performs to the level of speculation. That would tick off all the appropriate boxes...it will not only show that Kiffin can identify talent, but can woo it, harness it and then utilize it at the next level in the best way. I heard that UCLA QB Josh Rosen had a pretty decent true freshman season and is said to be extremely legit...I remember at Elite 11 when Blake Barnett toasted him and every other QB (including Ricky Town) in the nation. I agree with you. 1 more season with a decent conclusion and he will have proved enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.