Comments on the National Anthem - pregame festivities?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am old school. Everyone knows my age, at least approximately. There are all kinds of songs where ad libbing and improvising don't offend me in the slightest. However, there are a few songs, the national anthem being one, where my attitude is that the notes are written down on paper, as they've traditionally come to be. Sing them as they are. Don't make it be about you. It's not. I'm speaking as someone who's sung it many times in public for athletic events. The only thing I can stand is taking the high note up a third. More than that, and it's not about reverencing the anthem and the emotion and thought behind it. You're trying to make it about you...

Last edited:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
She is no Whitney Houston, but I thought she sang beautifully. I thought the dress was a little low cut, but it was beautiful and probably cost more than most people make in a month. Her tie-in to football is that she is engaged to Russell Wilson. Maybe that is why they chose her.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The only thing I can stand is taking the high note up a third.
I know exactly what you are talking about and what makes it so challenging, that is a hard note and out of the blue with the song. That is why I always preferred it live, waiting for that note and change, and how they handle it. I used to sing that song as a kid, just for the heck of it, its really well written anthem comparatively, I also like the German anthem as well.

I feel for you singing it live, that must of been a nervous experience. Another reason I respect it live.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know exactly what you are talking about and what makes it so challenging, that is a hard note and out of the blue with the song. That is why I always preferred it live, waiting for that note and change, and how they handle it. I used to sing that song as a kid, just for the heck of it, its really well written anthem comparatively, I also like the German anthem as well.

I feel for you singing it live, that must of been a nervous experience. Another reason I respect it live.
"Experiences" - I've done it many times...

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
I am old school. Everyone knows my age, at least approximately. There are all kinds of songs where ad libbing and improvising don't offend me in the slightest. However, there are a few songs, the national anthem being one, where my attitude is that the notes are written down on paper, as they've traditionally come to be. Sing them as they are. Don't make it be about you. It's not. I'm speaking as someone who's sung it many times in public for athletic events. The only thing I can stand is taking the high note up a third. More than that, and it's not about reverencing the anthem and the emotion and thought behind it. You're trying to make it about you...
And, of course, you are a musician as well. Earle you may, in fact, be The most interesting man in the world! I'm guessing baritone?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Ciara's wasn't as good as Whitney Houston. I'd give Whitney a "10" and that person who need more cloth on her, so that she would NOT distract our awesome DEFENSE, a "5.5". Was our defense outta juice after seeing this rendition of the National Anthem?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
.Agree, that it is a misconception that lip syncing is some product of the today, go look at any variety show, soul train, American bandstand since the invention if rock and roll and you will see gobs off it. And I know your background, what was new was prerecording a special version in an attempt to make you think it was live, especially through recording beforehand at the same venue so the acoustics matched up and it was a unique redemption. Personally? I like the anthem to always be live, but that is just my opinion. And backing tracks for dancing entertainers like Lady Gaga is fine with me. She sings over it and some on her own and it makes for a better show.
Two words ... Milli Vanilli

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And, of course, you are a musician as well. Earle you may, in fact, be The most interesting man in the world! I'm guessing baritone?
No, I'm a natural tenor, with an extended lower range, so I can sing baritone, when it's called for. Domingo started as a baritone, before he became a tenor. Now, in his twilight years, he's singing some baritone roles again...

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA
I've always been partial to the solo trumpet performance of the anthem, and I loved Botti's version (Jesse McGuire is also fantastic). Of course, my all-time favorite is this one:

And not just because it's a VT game. I would take either of them over Whitney, no disrespect intended. She's probably #3 on my list.

Beyond that I'm staying out of the wardrobe discussion. :)

P.S. Congrats on the win! Much closer than I had hoped, but credit where it's due, Clemson fought you guys to the end and erased any doubts that they belonged there.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
"Waltzing Matilda' is not the national anthem of Australia - but is very popular and is sung at many sporting events - like this one - the 1995 men's open finals.

Tina Arena's acapella version.....sung to perfection!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.