Thoughts after going back and re-watching the game...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
On offense if Coker stepped up into the pocket & allowed his WR's to run their routes, instead of getting all jittery like he did quite a few times, we would have passed the ball better on the mid & longer routes..But..The way Jackson got beat more than a few times I can't put blame on Coker to awful much..We needed to put a TE besides Jackson to help him out blocking & not run as many times as we did to his side for so many losses..
I heard DJ was looking for the Clemson DE in his sleep....he definitely was not quick enough to handle him. But we won anyway...:)

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
On offense if Coker stepped up into the pocket & allowed his WR's to run their routes, instead of getting all jittery like he did quite a few times, we would have passed the ball better on the mid & longer routes..But..The way Jackson got beat more than a few times I can't put blame on Coker to awful much..We needed to put a TE besides Jackson to help him out blocking & not run as many times as we did to his side for so many losses..

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I heard DJ was looking for the Clemson DE in his sleep....he definitely was not quick enough to handle him. But we won anyway...:)

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Things I've learned after reading 9 pages of thread....

1) Kiffin drew up the screen pass to OJ in the locker room
2) There is apparently a standardized definition of "steal" lurking somewhere on Tidefans.com that we should consult in the future
3) We win games by scoring more points than the other team
4) The Tide's breakdowns on defense constitute playing their "B game", but Clemson's breakdowns are just par for the course, ie their A+ game
5) #16 feels good
6) Watson played like his hair was on fire (actually, I just added that one... not really in the thread anywhere, I don't think)
7) The 6'3" (IIRC) Renfroe for Clemson was a "tiny walk-on"
8) Someone will feel the need to point out some inaccuracies in this "in-jest" post and perhaps quibble over the meaning of "in-jest"

:p

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I rewatched it and thought it was just as close as the first time I watched it, which is rare for me. Yeah, swap a few plays and we blow them out. You could do the same analysis in reverse, and if you change a handful of plays, you can see us losing.
Whoa whoa whoa. Why would you a change a few plays in Clemson's favor? That's crazy talk.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I think we've been so dominant for so long that people have forgotten how to win a big game close. Whoever had won that game would have earned it. You can say that Michigan State stole the game from Michigan (or that they gave it away), and you can say that Miami stole the game from Duke (aided and abetted by the refs), but we did not steal this game in any way shape or form. We had a running back with 150 yards and three touchdowns. We had a receiver with 200 yards and a touchdown. We called a brilliant game, including the onside kick, and we had a player run a kickoff back for a touchdown. We intercepted the other team, and never turned over the ball. We played great football against a great team and won because of it.
I agree with everything you said, but I still say we "stole" the game, and I mean that as a compliment to our team. I don't think we played "great football." We had no answer for Clemson's offense, giving up over 500 yards and 40 points. I can never consider a performance like that "great football." We averaged about two yards per carry in the second half. The two most defining aspects of our football team, the run game and defense, were non-existent in the second half. We were forced outside our comfort zone but, like a champion, we adapted.

I think you merely have a problem with my nomenclature. You don't like the word "steal." When a team outplays another for the majority of the game, but the second teams wins it at the very end, I say the second team "stole" the game. All the best teams throughout history have known how to do it. Losers don't.

jdua

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2006
In 2010, Steven Garcia played the game of his life. We lost. We played Cam Newton. We lost. In 2012, Johnny Manziel played the game of his life. We lost. In 2013, Trevor Knight played the game of his life. We lost.

This year, Dashaun Watson played the game of his life. We won. That's something to celebrate, not lament.
Thank you.......we just won the National Championship.........or at least I thought we did.........hard to tell, here. There's a reason Coach Saban loves this team even if we "barely" beat the #1 team in the country.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Things I've learned after reading 9 pages of thread....

1) Kiffin drew up the screen pass to OJ in the locker room
2) There is apparently a standardized definition of "steal" lurking somewhere on Tidefans.com that we should consult in the future
3) We win games by scoring more points than the other team
4) The Tide's breakdowns on defense constitute playing their "B game", but Clemson's breakdowns are just par for the course, ie their A+ game
5) #16 feels good
6) Watson played like his hair was on fire (actually, I just added that one... not really in the thread anywhere, I don't think)
7) The 6'3" (IIRC) Renfroe for Clemson was a "tiny walk-on"
8) Someone will feel the need to point out some inaccuracies in this "in-jest" post and perhaps quibble over the meaning of "in-jest"

:p
"In jest," ;) I was the one who called Clemson's walk on (Hunter Renfrow) tiny. He is listed at 5'10" and 170 lbs. If he's 5'8" and 160 lbs in real life, I would be very surprised.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
I agree with everything you said, but I still say we "stole" the game, and I mean that as a compliment to our team. I don't think we played "great football." We had no answer for Clemson's offense, giving up over 500 yards and 40 points. I can never consider a performance like that "great football." We averaged about two yards per carry in the second half. The two most defining aspects of our football team, the run game and defense, were non-existent in the second half. We were forced outside our comfort zone but, like a champion, we adapted.

I think you merely have a problem with my nomenclature. You don't like the word "steal." When a team outplays another for the majority of the game, but the second teams wins it at the very end, I say the second team "stole" the game. All the best teams throughout history have known how to do it. Losers don't.
By your own definition you are wrong. Bama didn't win at the end unless you call almost the entire 4th qtr the end. Obviously saying the team stole this game isn't giving them the credit for the hard fought game they won. As someone said earlier I wouldn't go up to A' Shawn and say hey I think you guys stole this game and I doubt you would either.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah, I'm not sure how Clemson outplayed us the whole game, when it was tied at half and their biggest lead was 7 points. Two teams lined up and played toe to toe. One team won. They deserved it.

They didn't steal it. By definition, one does not earn what one steals, one does not deserve what one steals.
I don't believe anybody has implied we didn't deserve to win the game. I think you understand a word like "stole" can be used metaphorically, which is how it's been used in this thread to suggests Bama got some breaks, took advantage of some breaks, scored some points you don't normally expect, etc.

It was a great game and it was a close, nip and tuck game. Every great play was earned, but some were just unexpected.

We really just outlasted a great team that didn't give up. It's a compliment to both teams.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I understood the word stole to mean stole. I didn't realize this thread was an allegory.
BB, you seem like a smart guy, but the word has been used in one context throughout this thread and it's never been used to mean "Bama got something unfairly, or undeservingly or unethically."

I really don't understand your persistence to not let people discuss how they viewed the game without your protest over this "term" when they obviously aren't implying what you are.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
BB, you seem like a smart guy, but the word has been used in one context throughout this thread and it's never been used to mean "Bama got something unfairly, or undeservingly or unethically."

I really don't understand your persistence to not let people discuss how they viewed the game without your protest over this "term" when they obviously aren't implying what you are.
delete dbl post

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

he is not the only one who read the use of "stole" that way

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
OK, fair enough. But all I'm saying is I didn't read anyone's comments to suggests we didn't deserve to win the game.

Actually, to me it was even more impressive how we won this game because we didn't just beat down another team in normal fashion.

I think that's how the average "non-Bama" fan probably saw the game. They were impressed with Clemson, but they were amazed we found a way to win, despite how good they played.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
You know I'm not the only person who feels this way, right? I'm not sure why the folks who want to take whatever position they want to take--one that seems to have evolved over the course of this thread from the better team didn't win to wherever it is now--continue to persist in saying we stole the game. I mean, if you don't think we stole the game, then don't say we stole the game. If what you are saying is that we made big plays when we needed them, that in no way means we stole the game, however you are choosing to use the word stole.

The natural implication of stole is that you didn't deserve it.
The common meaning for stealing a game is that you were outplayed and somehow lucked up, the Ole Miss game comes to mind, turnovers is a good example. Most that are saying this about Clemson are complaining "without special teams we would have won", and that is not stealing a game. So using the word "stole" is not being used correctly imo. There were no flukes, it was all sound execution.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yeah, Ole Miss comes to mind. Auburn in 1995 and 2013. Even Alabama at Florida in 1999 (the first time, definitely deserved the second). Michigan State at Michigan this year. Miami and Duke. Texas a&m in 2012?
Exactly, flukes. We can be bias at times, but I have never heard us complain that we had a game stolen because we had special teams breakdown, we came close with the LSU game, but I still didn't hear it. Special teams is huge part of the game. If we had lost under the same circumstances? We would put it on coaching, which is what they should do.

Edit: Auburn 1995, oh brother.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
My thoughts, which may not be all well-received:

1) we won IN-SPITE of possibly the most inconsistent right side of an OL that we've had under CNS. I never got the OL hype. The award, the gushing post-UGA game....even the UGA game was homerun or 3 yard loss.

2) the weakness in our secondary continues to be deep middle. whether by design or being "late", our safeties get eaten up deep middle.

3) Watson almost pulled a Stephen Garcia day. If not for the Harrison breakup back corner, we might've lost that game because he was on. If he pump fakes the Jackson pick, the WR walks into the end zone.

4) Coker, for all his inconsistencies, is a winner and a gamer.

5) HOw many times did we call Piersbacher's name this year? Like a corner who never gets his name mentioned, that's probably a good thing.

6) As much as we will miss Cyrus Jones, Humphrey won't miss a beat in his spot.

7) If Drake had been healthy his entire career at UA, Henry doesn't win the Heisman.

8) Most complete team in CNS tenure? We won games by every unit contributing.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

1) we won IN-SPITE of possibly the most inconsistent right side of an OL that we've had under CNS. I never got the OL hype. The award, the gushing post-UGA game....even the UGA game was homerun or 3 yard loss.

2) the weakness in our secondary continues to be deep middle. whether by design or being "late", our safeties get eaten up deep middle.

3) Watson almost pulled a Stephen Garcia day. If not for the Harrison breakup back corner, we might've lost that game because he was on. If he pump fakes the Jackson pick, the WR walks into the end zone.

4) Coker, for all his inconsistencies, is a winner and a gamer.

5) HOw many times did we call Piersbacher's name this year? Like a corner who never gets his name mentioned, that's probably a good thing.

6) As much as we will miss Cyrus Jones, Humphrey won't miss a beat in his spot.

7) If Drake had been healthy his entire career at UA, Henry doesn't win the Heisman.

8) Most complete team in CNS tenure? We won games by every unit contributing.
Nothing here I disagree with. Great thoughts.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

That is sad. You can tell on the KR TD that he cannot sharp cut to his left like pre injury, he can't put too much pressure on his right leg........and I am hoping "yet". Because Kenyan is dangerous with space now, I am hoping for a full recover. He has everything to make it in the NFL, including character.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.