Thoughts after going back and re-watching the game...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think that many Bama fans have a hard time relating to a game where Bama wins by big plays, rather than a grind-it-out style. There may be more of that coming...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think that many Bama fans have a hard time relating to a game where Bama wins by big plays, rather than a grind-it-out style. There may be more of that coming...
I am all for it. I know we loved the 21-0 LSU game, but this game is going down as the best in BCS and playoff history. And our defense is better suited for more snaps.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..With so many teams running more & more spread option type high scoring offenses, plus, with talented skill players running them..Looks like we won't have no option other than running a high scoring type offense ourselves..

College football has steadily evolved toward these HUNH high scoring offenses & Coach Saban is steadily evolving our offense to combat them..Because it's getting harder & harder to stop them with a Deshaun Watson or Chad Kelly running them, you're not going to shut them down, our offense will have to be able to outscore them when our D can't slow them down..Grind-It-Out style college football is going the way of the dinosaurs that's for sure..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I rewatched it today, the biggest thing I notice is that we probably could have had a much better day defensively but our best positional group on defense kinda had an up and down night. Occasionally, our DL just played themselves out of contain and Watson extended drives that were close to being stops for FGAs or punts.

Far be it from me to complain about a handful of plays when our winning difference was made on a handful of plays. Still, that defensive performance wasn't as bad as the numbers...just some really bad misplays by the DL in a few spots and Watson letting loose some "great throws" into "good coverage." I feel like if they just could have contained him a bit better with more consistent disciplined edge rush technique, the game might have been somewhat closer to my prediction...somewhat. Almost every time our edge rushers messed up, he burned us.

I doubt we'll see too many DT QBs quite like Watson for awhile, so overall I think the personnel tweaks on defense are working. They really feasted on some of our younger corners too. If we can maintain a level of pressure similar to this year, I think we can get even better against the top end spread offenses. Funny to think you can find defensive positives in a 45-40 game but I guess that's just the era we live in.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Some people act like we were running constant flea flickers, fumblerooskis, Statue of Liberty plays and triple reverse read zone option pass fakes with illegal linemen downfield offense run at a breakneck pace so you can't substitute.....

And that it took every gadget in our gadget bag to win.

Explosive plays are not trick plays. Every one of those was an offense executing a huge play. Just because they turned into 30, 40, 50 yards doesn't make us lucky.

What you see from Ole Miss, Baylor, Oregon and Auburn run is a gimmick offense done with smoke and mirrors and slight of hand tactics. I didn't see us anywhere near that.

Clemson was good. But we picked our shots and executed as needed.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Some people act like we were running constant flea flickers, fumblerooskis, Statue of Liberty plays and triple reverse read zone option pass fakes with illegal linemen downfield offense run at a breakneck pace so you can't substitute.....

And that it took every gadget in our gadget bag to win.

Explosive plays are not trick plays. Every one of those was an offense executing a huge play. Just because they turned into 30, 40, 50 yards doesn't make us lucky.

What you see from Ole Miss, Baylor, Oregon and Auburn run is a gimmick offense done with smoke and mirrors and slight of hand tactics. I didn't see us anywhere near that.

Clemson was good. But we picked our shots and executed as needed.
Exactly. A busted coverage is not a trick play. A perfectly executed off tackle is not a trick play. A TE swing pass around the edge is not a trick play. A KO return is not a trick play.

The only trick play was the pooch kick. Besides that, we just out executed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I'll be blunt - I'm okay with it. If we can evolve with the game, that speaks WAY more for longevity than being good at just one thing year in and year out.

Considering we'll have more natural talent at QB than we've had in a few years, it'll be interesting to see what we can do with it.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
He seemed very adept at this. He had the closing speed to keep Watson off balance.
If there was ever a single question worth asking our defensive coaches, it would be why they didn't do this more.

The flip side, of course, is asking our offensive play callers why Howard didn't get called on more. Dude could have ended the year with 1000 yards on his own.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If there was ever a single question worth asking our defensive coaches, it would be why they didn't do this more.

The flip side, of course, is asking our offensive play callers why Howard didn't get called on more. Dude could have ended the year with 1000 yards on his own.
That's because the coaches aren't paying attention to what's posted here... :)

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
I'll be blunt - I'm okay with it. If we can evolve with the game, that speaks WAY more for longevity than being good at just one thing year in and year out.

Considering we'll have more natural talent at QB than we've had in a few years, it'll be interesting to see what we can do with it.

This offensive ability will also loosen up defenses so we can ground it out as well. It's going to make us really hard to defend.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Howard thingy is mind boggling. Assuming the TE a skill player, he is the absolute last one on the offense, based on past performance, that one would think would be the MVP of the game.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Howard thingy is mind boggling. Assuming the TE a skill player, he is the absolute last one on the offense, based on past performance, that one would think would be the MVP of the game.

At one point during the game against the Spartans, I turned to my wife and said, "I wonder if Kiffen has been avoiding using Howard until we really need him?" Is it possible? Did he avoid using him in games so that teams wouldn't really have much, if any film on him? Are we that confident that we could pull off something like this?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
At one point during the game against the Spartans, I turned to my wife and said, "I wonder if Kiffen has been avoiding using Howard until we really need him?" Is it possible? Did he avoid using him in games so that teams wouldn't really have much, if any film on him? Are we that confident that we could pull off something like this?
I think there is something to that, keeping him in the bag unless needed. Clearly we were able to get where we wanted to be without exposing that particular strength. If we were going to OJ 10 times every game, would he have been as successful in the situations where we did use him? The flip side is, if we had been more active with OJ, would that have opened some opportunities for Amari, Ridley, Stewart etc?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Yup..With so many teams running more & more spread option type high scoring offenses, plus, with talented skill players running them..Looks like we won't have no option other than running a high scoring type offense ourselves..

College football has steadily evolved toward these HUNH high scoring offenses & Coach Saban is steadily evolving our offense to combat them..Because it's getting harder & harder to stop them with a Deshaun Watson or Chad Kelly running them, you're not going to shut them down, our offense will have to be able to outscore them when our D can't slow them down..Grind-It-Out style college football is going the way of the dinosaurs that's for sure..
Never! We cannot become the Enemy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
I don't want to see us go to a spread, HUNH offense, but I doubt we will.

On the other hand, I would like to see us develop a high-powered offense that takes full advantage of the rule that has screwed us over the last few years. Offensive lineman being able to be three yards down the field on passing plays could really help sell play action.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
I don't have a problem with the offense we ran in the game. I think it is exciting. It doesn't give the defense much rest though. I think the thing that disappointed me was the tackling in the 4th qtr on their RB Gallman. Usually when they threw to him. I think there was like 4 or 5 guys that missed him. I really think we were gassed because we usually tackle better than that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Someone with a better defensive eye might comment on this, but other than just a handful of plays Clemson did a good job of covering and taking away Ridley, Stewart (except that one big 3rd down play) and Mullaney (except for one big play that I remember).

I think it's complimentary to CLK to recognize OJ was the one we could exploit during the game.

It's also a testament to our great depth that a team might take away a few weapons, but we've got others than can still beat you!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
CNS said we should have used Howard more, and he said that was on him. They called plays that didn't ask Coker to try too much, and that limited what we did.

My guess is once Coker played up to their expectations, they were able to open things up, when they needed to.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
BamaMoon;2776027 I think it's complimentary to CLK to recognize OJ was the one we could exploit during the game. ![/QUOTE said:
Agree, the onside kick and the TD to Howard were connected. It was CNS and CLK going for the knockout punch, and because they are good coaches, it worked to perfection.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.