Link: David Cornwell to BOL: "I'm Going to be Here"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

One Alabama player many thought would be a candidate to leave the Crimson Tide was redshirt freshman quarterback David Cornwell. Last summer, Cornwell was competing with Jacob Coker, Cooper Bateman and others to be the starting quarterback for Alabama this season. However, he fell behind in the competition and didn't see any playing time this season.

Despite being passed on the depth chart, and with other talented quarterbacks like Blake Barnett and early enrollee Jalen Hurts also in the mix, Cornwell is undeterred.

“I’m gonna be here,” Cornwell told BamaOnLine's Charlie Potter. “I’m gonna graduate. I’m Alabama all the way. You look at Coker, you take a page out of his book. He said, ‘I’m here, I’m gonna play.’ Obviously Blake (Sims) was a tremendous quarterback and it didn’t work out, but you look at him now, he stayed the course. I think (Coker)’s earning everything he deserves."

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Impressed. This will be epic battle between Cornwell, Barnett and Bateman. Hurt will probably end up on Scout team. I think we'll see Bateman as No. 1, Barnett no. 2 and Cornwell as no. 3... but as the spring came ends, you'll see some movement in the order...

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Good. I'm one of those that expected him to emerge as the starter by week 3. I was obviously wrong. I hope he's turned the corner and exorcised his supposed demons and willing to keep the same attitude through the spring and summer. If so he has the tools to compete for the starting spot.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Glad to hear this. Whatever his issues this fall were, I hope DC has put them behind him for his own good. He sure seemed to ooze leadership on the recruiting scene after his commitment. He has all the tools to successful at the QB position.
This should be an epic fight for the starting job next fall.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
After we heard Morris was going to leave, this was the right move for Cornwell. He transfers and what does he gain? He sits out a year. He stays, and he has a chance to earn the starting job. A lot of people thought it would have been Coker and it turned out to be Sims. A lot of people thought it would be Cornwell and it turned out to be Coker. Next season? Who knows, but it will help Alabama to have four legitimate candidates and some depth, three would be pretty scary really, that's not much depth.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
This is great to hear. Im not privy to the specific issues that were involved with his lowered position on the depth chart, but hopefully Jake's great example has had a positive influence on him. Hard work and buy-in will pay off in the end.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If he wants to stay just to continue to be a part of this team, good for him. Seriously doubt that he will see the field, so not sure if this is good for Alabama. Unleveraged scholarships are missed opportunities. But I wouldn't even suggest that he leave if he wants to stay.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
My only criticism of coach Saban recruiting has been at QB. Rare!
Only one QB that was recruited by coach Saban out of HS as a quarterback became the main starter, and that was AJ, who was gift wrapped. And there has been a pile of top 10's that never panned or so far, which led us to Blake (converted RB) and Coker (Transfer)

I think Coach Kiffin may be out best QB scout under Coach Saban and he hand picked Barnett, who unlike others exceeded expectations at QB camps, he got high praise from big names.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If he wants to stay just to continue to be a part of this team, good for him. Seriously doubt that he will see the field, so not sure if this is good for Alabama. Unleveraged scholarships are missed opportunities. But I wouldn't even suggest that he leave if he wants to stay.
Unless I'm missing something, the only guys Alabama has at QB besides Cornwell would be a redshirt freshman, Cooper Bateman, and a true freshman. I recall a year in which Ohio State had to start their third stringer, and he wasn't a true freshman right? Alabama needs Cornwell for the depth if nothing else, but he offers much more than that. He has the potential if his head is on straight.

I really do believe Barnett is the real deal, but what if he isn't ready or what if he gets hurt? Cornwell is valuable to have around one more year.

Last edited:

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
David will be around at least until he graduates. Watching Coker, he knows if he don't win the job he can at worse be a graduate transfer in the future.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I agree. The worst case scenario for Cornwell if he sticks around is getting premier coaching until he graduates, and if he's ahead of schedule (being a RS) he could be a grad transfer with two years to play like Coker.

Best case is winning the QB battle next year, and leading the team to another title.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I am excited about our QB situation because we 3 highly ranked QB's that were highly ranked coming out of high school & we have Coach Kiffin who I think is the best QB Coach in college football coaching them up..Our QB's will be true system players of Coach Kiffin & that will show this coming year in our offense..It's going to be fun to watch..

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I'm pulling for Blake to win the job. It would be nice to have stability at QB here for three straight seasons.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The graduate transfer rule really helps in this case. It motivates Cornwell to stick around and graduate early. That's good for him on a non-football level, #1. It's good for Alabama because he provides good depth at the position for another season or he lights it on fire and becomes the starter. But, if he doesn't become the starter and it is evident that Barnett or Hurt is the future, then he can transfer out after next season and suffer no penalty and play immediately somewhere else for 2 seasons.

I don't know if he's on track to graduate on time for that, but hopefully he is. For the player, I really like the graduate transfer rule and it can also help the school as it does in this case for us.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
My only criticism of coach Saban recruiting has been at QB. Rare!
Only one QB that was recruited by coach Saban out of HS as a quarterback became the main starter, and that was AJ, who was gift wrapped. And there has been a pile of top 10's that never panned or so far, which led us to Blake (converted RB) and Coker (Transfer)

I think Coach Kiffin may be out best QB scout under Coach Saban and he hand picked Barnett, who unlike others exceeded expectations at QB camps, he got high praise from big names.
How was A.J. gift wrapped? He was developed as well, it's not like he showed up from some other school and was NFL ready.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.