Declared 1st off season thread - Way too early top 25 2016

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The UGA scenario is exactly why we need a 9-game schedule. We hadn't play them at home since 2007, haven't played them in the regular season since 2008, and they snipe a home game with us and we get nothing in return. The scheduling in the SEC makes no dang sense and it never will until they add a 9th conference game.
Seeing how visiting Georgia fans treat the host campus, I'd just as soon they stay away from Tuscaloosa.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Ole Miss is reloading again, I never expected them to have another #1 type class, but here they go again. Looks the the Rebels will continue to about the same for the foreseeable future, but they are no Clemson, and that is one game I am looking forward to.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Mark Schlabach has Alabama at #1 in his latest top 25. TIFWIW.

2 things that jumped out to me: LSU is returning 18 of 22 starters and FSU is returning 17 of 22 starters. Both teams will be very good next year IMO.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ves-top-post-signing-day-way-too-early-top-25
I agree though I think it could be mitigated by whomever they get at QB. Gotta have someone able to distribute the ball safely and efficiently.
What of LSU's Brandon Harris? How far forward will he step passing the ball? We've seen that just running it won't get it done.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
We also have UGA and Auburn at home, Southern Cal in Dallas to start the season. Not many gimmes on the schedule next year outside the three cupcakes.

Edit: WRONG! We didn't get a home&home with Georgia but instead a home game against Kentucky...that eases it up: Kentucky, TAMU, MSU, and Auburn at home. Get most of our big games on the road.

Might just be me but the last 3 or so years it seems we do better playing away.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is true. I thought the week leading up to the 2011 LSU game that the home team would be at a disadvantage due to the pressure cooker effect, and everyone came out tight. Doubt this is the case every week though. Blake was much better on the road that's for sure and it carried into this year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Mark Schlabach has Alabama at #1 in his latest top 25. TIFWIW.

2 things that jumped out to me: LSU is returning 18 of 22 starters and FSU is returning 17 of 22 starters. Both teams will be very good next year IMO.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ves-top-post-signing-day-way-too-early-top-25
I knew Ohio State was losing a lot but did not know they only have 6 starters coming back. I know they will be talented but don't think they will be in the play-off picture this coming year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, Alabama plays its best football when the players respect the team that they are playing. Many of your home games have been against opponents that did not meet that threshold.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
IMO, Alabama plays its best football when the players respect the team that they are playing. Many of your home games have been against opponents that did not meet that threshold.
It goes a little more than that imo, it seems easier for Bama to do what you are saying, on the road as opposed to at home. There are a lot of variables but we wanted Ole Miss. We seem to play tighter at home and the crowd seems to have more impact if they are flat. Our road fans are probably the best on the country. Seems like an aberration.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I knew Ohio State was losing a lot but did not know they only have 6 starters coming back. I know they will be talented but don't think they will be in the play-off picture this coming year.
I think they will be in the CFP. In the past five years the only team to out recruit Ohio State is Alabama.

I do not see many of our games a toss up. Looking at recruiting it would be LSU. Roll Tide.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
You've had one disagreement, so I'll make this the agreement. Don't see them winning the very early game at Oklahoma because they won't be reloaded by then. Same problem Bama had with the very early game against Ole Miss last year. Heck, Bama didn't even know which gun they were reloading. Started the wrong one at QB.

Don't see them going undefeated in the B1G. Two losses will most likely eliminate them even if they win the B1G. Would make it only if one of the other P5 champions had two or more losses.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to this article, they will have 44 freshman on the team in 2016.

The information knocked Urban Meyer back on his heels on National Signing Day.

Would the Buckeyes really have 44 players with freshmen eligibility in 2016, on a roster with 85 scholarships?

"I call it the year of development here," Meyer said. "I wish more of the kids would have played this year, hindsight. But we we're a pretty good team. I don't know if that's ideal. I'm not sure you want (44), you want better spacing out than that. But sometimes that doesn't always happen that way."

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
This is true. I thought the week leading up to the 2011 LSU game that the home team would be at a disadvantage due to the pressure cooker effect, and everyone came out tight. Doubt this is the case every week though. Blake was much better on the road that's for sure and it carried into this year.
I remembered Blake being much better at home, I thought it was on the road that we struggled...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Wow next year and 2 years from now they will be really experienced.
I don't see Urban Myer going anywhere, and we will soon find out if he is in fact a top 3 coach, and I think he is. I just want to see him keep the chemistry with the team, that seems to always come up. Ohio State vs Michigan is going to become the game I loved to watch as a kid, that I do know. Top coaches in the conference with the best players. Just don't get too close Harbaugh.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Our biggest on-field question mark will be RB. But Scarbrough has the potential to fill the gap. And I have faith that Kiffin will get championship performance out of whoever wins the QB battle.

But I think our toughest opponent will be ourselves. We lose some huge leaders (A'Shawn Robinson), and sometimes the intangible loss is greater than the tangible one.

Fighting the natural tendency to become complacent is a lot easier said than done.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
4Q, it seems complacency is a bigger problem, say in 2010 and 2013, when we have a high percentage of returning starters. That's not the case this year. A bunch of new folks assuming key positions doesn't make for sleep-walking. Even returning starters, like Reuben and Tim Williams, will be asked to do much more. To your point, though, we should keep an eye on players like Cam, Jonathan or Eddie who have been here a while and may be quite naturally dwelling a little more on their NFL pay days.

QUOTE=4Q Basket Case;2791290]Our biggest on-field question mark will be RB. But Scarbrough has the potential to fill the gap. And I have faith that Kiffin will get championship performance out of whoever wins the QB battle.

But I think our toughest opponent will be ourselves. We lose some huge leaders (A'Shawn Robinson), and sometimes the intangible loss is greater than the tangible one.

Fighting the natural tendency to become complacent is a lot easier said than done.[/QUOTE]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.