Link: Can we fix America's cities by tearing them down?

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
While not an optimal situation, I think it is a good idea. Look at what has been done in Southwest Atlanta. Sometimes you need a restart to generate change....

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
As long as the job is left to private enterprise and development I am for it on a case by case basis. The government has enough to do and too much debt to engage in another "fix it."

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
isn't that what Detroit has been doing?
Detroit's plan is more aggressive as they want to shrink the city limits as well to reduce the number of fire stations, police patrols and other services. Basically, knock down all the blight. Anyone still residing in the an area that has, by default, become rural due to the reduction of unoccupied structures, you have the option of moving back into the newly defined city limits or your on your own. I personally like the idea.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I've always been a little concerned with this, because large swaths of most cities in America have a condemnation problem. Slum and light exists almost everywhere, not just large metro areas.

Take Sheffield, AL for example. I'm not sure how many of you have been through the area, but there is large sections of the city that can't be sustained. There are some beautiful sections too, and the downtown is undergoing some amazing renovations. There's a lot of neighborhoods with beautiful views of the river, etc.... But there are areas of town that I don't see making a comeback. What do you do with those? In 10-15 years most of those houses will be uninhabitable (if they aren't already). Half are already abandoned. It's a major problem and it exists in almost every corner of America. Not sure the solution, but it's going to become a massive problem if we don't come up with solutions soon.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.