Link: How Alabama Exploited a Tiny Clemson Error into the Championship's Deciding Play

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Good breakdown of how the play happened and the preparation for it by the coaching staff.

The best two teams in college football met for the national title. They were pretty much equal. But Alabama got the ball 16 times, and Clemson only got the ball 15 times.

Football is based around the idea that the two teams trade possessions, but in the fourth quarter of a tied title game, Alabama decided it didn't want to give Clemson the ball back.

Alabama won by one possession. This surprise onside kick is how it got that possession.

On Alabama's sideline, Nick Saban let loose a wry grin, the first time any of us have ever seen Saban express happiness during a game. On Clemson's, Dabo Swinney flipped out on the referees.

Three days later, it's still clear Dabo didn't have a case. Nothing Alabama did was close to illegal. Swinney was frustrated, grasping at straws, and hoping the play would be somehow overturned.

If there were a Wikipedia page for Outcoached, this would make a nice header:

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
Wow! That was like reading a good suspenseful book. The build up in the article depicting how our staff watched and waited until the right moment to pounce!

The side by side of Dabo and Saban would make for a good "Caption this pic" thread.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban's favorite motivational speaker speaker, Kevin Elko, was on Finebaum during the 3pm hour today. It was a great listen for some insight into how the staff and team approached this season from a mental perspective.

Elko said some things regarding this call too. He said that Saban was calling a "youthful game" and throwing caution to the wind. In the recent losses, they had let teams sort of dictate the terms to them and Saban was tired of just trying to "catch" whatever teams throw at them instead he wanted the team to be the "pitcher." That call epitomized that approach: he calls a deep kick, Clemson probably wins; the onside goes bad, at least Alabama goes down in a blaze of glory; if it works, they may have the chance to win.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban's favorite motivational speaker speaker, Kevin Elko, was on Finebaum during the 3pm hour today. It was a great listen for some insight into how the staff and team approached this season from a mental perspective.

Elko said some things regarding this call too. He said that Saban was calling a "youthful game" and throwing caution to the wind. In the recent losses, they had let teams sort of dictate the terms to them and Saban was tired of just trying to "catch" whatever teams throw at them instead he wanted the team to be the "pitcher." That call epitomized that approach: he calls a deep kick, Clemson probably wins; the onside goes bad, at least Alabama goes down in a blaze of glory; if it works, they may have the chance to win.
So those of us that believed Bama was up tight and didn't play its game during those games were right. Glad to see Saban is changing his way on that.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Great thread. The media can hype the significance of this play til they are crimson and fulfilled, the bottom line is that the playoff committee did a great job moving MSU to 4 so Clemson and the Sooners could battle out who would play Bama. The end result was a game for the ages, most everyone enjoyed and was perfect closing for the season. The reception is a far cry from Bama vs LSU 2011. The nation approves.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the 2013 Auburn, 2014 Ohio State, and 2014+2015 Ole Miss games really epitomize what he's talking about it. I don't know if Alabama tightened up the same way in every game. They started the 2014 Ole Miss and OSU games decently but tightened up when those teams counter punched. 2015 Ole Miss, they seemed to come out really tight and kinda loosened up as the game wore on. 2013 Auburn game, they choked up in the fourth quarter after really kinda controlling the terms of the game for the majority of the day.

Alabama loosened up after that pop kick...offense was unstoppable (thanks to super aggressive and/or innovative playcalls), Drake sprung a big play on a return after being so close most of the season, and we edge out Clemson late by changing the scoring exchange with that extra possession.

Last edited:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Lord, the comments after that article. I'm glad I mostly stay on Tidefans after games and don't get exposed to the opponents and their blinding bias.

Great article, though.
It seems that Clemson did an onside kick against USC-E last year and it was called back. Now they are going after the gamecocks on that thread. I would think you best not show up in Clemson with anything Bama printed on it for the few months. RTR. I wonder if Clemson will have a nervous breakdown like the other teams Bama has beaten in the NC game. Texas , LSU and ND havent been back to the dance and Texas has had 6 years to get over it. I would really hate to see Aubarn beat them in the kickoff classic next year. I will be pulling for Dabo....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.