Where would you rank the onside kick among the best plays in Alabama history?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It was a top 10 "call" but not a top 10 "play" IMHO

Exactly....makes a difference here. It was a fantastic call.

But, when I think of Top 10 crucial plays...I think of a game on the line and a player or two making the difference in the game.

Like:

"Rocky block"
Screen to Yeldon at LSU
The pass to Cooper in the SECCG in 2012
Tip by Mosley of the pass by UGA near the end zone.
The INT return by Sunseri at A&M.....etc

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yes, with the margin of error from the kick placement, to catching a flipping ball, it is the epitome of sound execution under coach Saban. As the media understands, it was not fluke, and was only done through repetition in practice. I doubt we will ever see an onside kick performed to that level again in college football. It was signature Saban, just like the goal line stand.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
It was a huge coaching call. It was executed to perfection. It was the perfect play in that situation. However, if we don't score on the ensuing drive, it is just a footnote in the game. It became a total game changer when Coker hit Howard two plays later for the TD.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It was a huge coaching call. It was executed to perfection. It was the perfect play in that situation. However, if we don't score on the ensuing drive, it is just a footnote in the game. It became a total game changer when Coker hit Howard two plays later for the TD.
But it did. And the plays called and execution were driven from the energy resulting from that kick, so you can't put it in a vacuum imo. Same as with the Jackson int, it sucked air out of Clemson. Those two TD's were built off momentum of soundly executed plays.

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I agree it was a fantasist call and well executed. But without the TD after we recovered it we would not consider it the pivotal moment of the game.

As far as top Bama plays. One of my favorite was George Teague stripping the ball from Lamar Thomas in the 93 Sugar Bowl. Talk about an incredible individual effort.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Perspective is so hard to achieve when the play is so fresh. I think it may be the singularly most iconic play in the Saban era because of the stakes and how the game was playing out up to that moment. The three prior championships lack that singular moment because they were mostly suffocating romps.

I'd say the most iconic moments of the Saban era are:

1. The Onside Kick
2. Rocky Block
3. Cody 5
4. AJ to Cooper
5. McElroy Hop

Honorable Mention:

- The Blackout (2008 UGA) *This one may have more meaning to this program than we give it credit.
- Ingram drives the team down the field out of wildcat (2009 USCe)
- AJ to TJ (2012 LSU)
- Sims 1-minute heroics (2014 LSU)
- Cooper v. Auburn secondary (2014 Auburn)

Last edited:

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
For the pure 'GUTS' of play calling, I'd go for #1...!
BUT even in the same game I'd go for Coker's 3rd down roll-out run for the 1st down as tops for sheer guts and fortitude on a player's part!
If he had missed that 1st down, Saban would have gone for a FG and a tie game possibility!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Perspective is so hard to achieve when the play is so fresh. I think it may be the singularly most iconic play in the Saban era because of the stakes and how the game was playing out up to that moment. The three prior championships lack that singular moment because they were mostly suffocating romps.

1. The Onside Kick
2. Rocky Block
3. Cody 5
4. AJ to Cooper
5. McElroy Hop

Honorable Mention:

- The Blackout (2008 UGA) *This one may have more meaning to this program than we give it credit.
- AJ to TJ (2012 LSU)
Coker's drive and then the sack/fumble on the next possession at the end of the Tennessee game this year was pretty classic, IMO.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

1. The Onside Kick
2. Rocky Block
3. Cody 5
4. AJ to Cooper
5. McElroy Hop

Honorable Mention:

- AJ to TJ (2012 LSU)
what was the cody 5, that one is not ringing a bell

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
What is "Cody 5"

And what about "Rocky Stop" in 2005?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it was the actual name of the play that Roy Upchurch, #5, and Terrance Cody were in the same backfield against Auburn in 2009. We faked run and sent Upchurch out in the flat and threw the TD pass to him. I think it was Trent at TB, Cody at FB, and Upchurch at WB.

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
How about:
the run in the mud against Auburn
Van Tiffin's kick against AU in '85
block of the Penn State field goal in '89, I think

I know these were game clinching plays. There were probably many, many, many better plays that nobody has listed that didn't directly affect the outcome of the game. Bennet's sack of Beurlein in "86 comes to mind.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Cody 5 is what the name of the Roy Upchurch flat pass out of heavy was called in 2009 Auburn. By the way, Upchurch is starting to move into the coaching ranks after a few years as a GTA at FSU. He may be an assistant we should look at in a few years.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
By the way, I was only trying to distill what are the hallmark plays of the Saban era. I don't think it is quite as important to place it relative to the highlights of prior eras. The Run in the Mud or The Kick shouldn't have to be looking over their shoulders over their spot in the pregame videos, you know what I'm saying? :D

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
I agree with others that it was a great call, but I don't know about the best. IMO, it's not even the best or most important play in the game. Others have mentioned Drake's kick return. I would even say Jake's scramble for the first down was bigger than the onside kick. In terms of history, I don't know that I can rate it up there with some others because it didn't win the game. It played a big role in us winning the game but wasn't the ultimate winning play. Without the goalie stand, we lose the game. Without Cody's block, we lose the game. The onside is up there, but not as key as these and a few other plays.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I agree with others that it was a great call, but I don't know about the best. IMO, it's not even the best or most important play in the game. Others have mentioned Drake's kick return. I would even say Jake's scramble for the first down was bigger than the onside kick. In terms of history, I don't know that I can rate it up there with some others because it didn't win the game. It played a big role in us winning the game but wasn't the ultimate winning play. Without the goalie stand, we lose the game. Without Cody's block, we lose the game. The onside is up there, but not as key as these and a few other plays.
The 4th quarter was a pure "Rising Tide" that swept Clemson away, I think The Onside Kick just exemplifies the greater moment. Kinda like how AJ to Cooper in the SECCG was the hallmark to an impressive physical domination to respond to a 21-10 deficit in the 3rd quarter. The quick drive, all run, and the 2pt conversion run may have meant more to winning that game...but that singular play just highlights the action.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Cody 5 is what the name of the Roy Upchurch flat pass out of heavy was called in 2009 Auburn. By the way, Upchurch is starting to move into the coaching ranks after a few years as a GTA at FSU. He may be an assistant we should look at in a few years.
I was sitting there thinking "Cody 5...like 5 fingers on the block? But he already had Rocky Block..."

Upchurch was one of my favorite players here. It would be great to see him become a successful coach on our sidelines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Would LOVE for Roy Upchurch to be a successful coach, especially at Alabama. One of the guys who went through the hard times, and got to experience a championship before he graduated. Also, I think he was very talented, and just suffered some bad injury luck. Kind of like Drake in that regard.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think he's at IMG Academy right now...considering his proximity to a whole bunch of bluechip talent, he's bound to get seen by a head coach sooner or later.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.