Where would you rank the onside kick among the best plays in Alabama history?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Tough question I know. The first play I always think of is " The Goal Line Stand" vs. Penn State in the 1979 Sugar Bowl and second the Van Tiffin field goal vs. Auburn in 1985, but the onside kick has to be very high now on the list.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Right now I'd rank it pretty high but, we'll see if that holds up through the years. It's definitely the best play of the season IMO. It was the pivotal moment in the game, where this team said we will do whatever it takes to bring home this trophy. Yes, both teams continued to score but, even Clemson knew they where playing 3 steps behind from that moment on.

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
Few plays i can remember in recent years:
1. Mount Cody blocks vs Tennessee.
2. Upchurch play action TD pass from McElroy.
3. McElroy dancing on the sidelines.
4. Trent Richardson TD vs LSU.
5. Mark Ingram TD vs Texas
6. Arenas int Tebow
7. McCarron to Cooper vs Georgia
8. Drake kick return TD vs Clemson
9. McCarron to Yeldon screen pass
10. Julio TD vs LSU 2009

Tough question I know. The first play I always think of is " The Goal Line Stand" vs. Penn State in the 1979 Sugar Bowl and second the Van Tiffin field goal vs. Auburn in 1985, but the onside kick has to be very high now on the list.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In bigger terms I doubt it even ranks in the top ten plays in Tide history, not because of importance but due to lack of drama. Langham's TD pick in the Iron Bowl was more dramatic even though we win that one anyway.

Not to be a wet blanket but not top ten in my view. The incompletion forcing them to kick the field goal was more important and more dramatic but I suspect Drake's return will be better remembered when the dust settles.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
In bigger terms I doubt it even ranks in the top ten plays in Tide history, not because of importance but due to lack of drama. Langham's TD pick in the Iron Bowl was more dramatic even though we win that one anyway.

Not to be a wet blanket but not top ten in my view. The incompletion forcing them to kick the field goal was more important and more dramatic but I suspect Drake's return will be better remembered when the dust settles.
That ball strip in the end zone was magnificent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Drake's 95 yard return was the biggest of the game.

After a full career of being denied due to injuries, etc. This was his last game and he refused to be denied any longer. He put every ounce of himself into that play. He was a quarter of an inch from going out of bounds. The ball came out a quarter of an inch after it went over the goalline. The play was an even bigger momentum builder than the onside kick.

Drake racing down the sidelines is the play I'll always remember from this year more than any other. He refused to quit even when he was running out of gas.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What was the biggest for you? It has to be one of the most unexpected calls.
Drake's KO return and OJ's pop pass up the sideline (to me) were both bigger in insuring victory. I think if we had missed on the Onside - we still would have found a way to win. Those other two, I'm not sure. I may be wrong, but as far as "players who refused to lose", those two plays were HUGE to me.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Harrison play? I agree...that was also a HUGE moment. Honestly, I think that's what made that game so amazing....every play felt HUGE.....and there were so many amazing moments.....Rashaan Evans doesn't get two of those sacks.....Pettway doesn't get his one finger on the ball.....Ardarius doesn't pull in that long pass.....so many.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I think you're referring to Harrison stripping a sure TD from the Clemson receiver. If so, go back and re-watch as our D was setting up on that play. It appears Harrison was lining up out of position and Cyrus was emphatically directing him to proper position and coverage. Not sure we make that play without Cyrus' leadership. Classic leadership from a team full of leaders.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
It maybe one of the greatest trick plays of all time for Bama. But it was not a live or die play like many of the others. Tiffins field goal in 85 over Auburn is a Great play. I loved the play dont get me wrong but I cant rank it in my top 10 list of greatest plays.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think you're referring to Harrison stripping a sure TD from the Clemson receiver. If so, go back and re-watch as our D was setting up on that play. It appears Harrison was lining up out of position and Cyrus was emphatically directing him to proper position and coverage. Not sure we make that play without Cyrus' leadership. Classic leadership from a team full of leaders.
yeah, i was worried we were going to bust coverage on that one. good thing harrison didn't turn his head around ;)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The entire fourth quarter felt like to boxers trading haymakers. But I think when Drake returned that KO back for a TD, after Clemson had to settle for a FG, you could see their demeanor drop. They knew the jig was up at that point, but I do credit them for continuing to fight until the end.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The entire fourth quarter felt like to boxers trading haymakers. But I think when Drake returned that KO back for a TD, after Clemson had to settle for a FG, you could see their demeanor drop. They knew the jig was up at that point, but I do credit them for continuing to fight until the end.
i saw it as more of a talented middleweight landing some well placed jabs and a heavyweight landing haymakers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.