Ranking the 16 Bama National Championship Teams

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I'm not knocking our guys...things are just a lot different technically now. DL doesn't have the same advantage they did back then...the pass protection concepts are far more robust. Less about creating movement in the pocket, more about matching up and technique.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
re-watching the 92 game, i can't help but wonder how much whining would be going on by the eeyores in a game thread for the first quarter and a half of the game. two interceptions and two drives stalled in the red zone
They would've probably been calling for A new qb like they were against Arkansas this year.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I remember back in school people would talk about the Rose Bowl wins and how we were reliving those glory days during the Bryant Era in the 60's and 70's. The first time I saw merchandise with the older championships listed I just assumed that the pre-world war ii years were the ones that we won the Rose Bowl. As time went on I started noticing our rivals getting more and more upset, and I looked and saw that 1941 was not a Rose Bowl win. I started wondering if maybe it was a "typo" and that the 1945 team should be the one on the list.

Seems a little of whack. Maybe the University should simply correct it.

What is really out of whack is how much our rivals harp on all this crap. Pick another school..... Tennessee maybe. I hate them, but I know they have 3 or 4 titles. It would never cross my mind to go back and analyze each one "for credibility", and like I said, I hate Tenn.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Got to go with 1992, it was the first I really remember.This last one was a close second to me what a game.
And having gone through such a dry spell, we were in no mood for "great game" or close game" but domination. Incredible we won that game running the ball 75% of the time. Baker was like 6-11 one int and no td's. Is why he reminds me of Coker more than any other QB. His improvement was huge.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Maybe this is just me, but it irritates me when I see people talking about changing our claimed championships from '41 to '45 or '66. That kind of talk is exactly why we catch so much flack from other fan bases for our "made up championships." As of now, we claim nothing because every year we list as a championship team we were awarded a championship by someone.

Personally, I wish we had never gone anywhere near the '41 team being one of those champions, but at least we were named champion by, at the time, a credible source. The day we start shifting our championships around to better fit who feel are deserving, is the day that our championships start losing credibility.

Again, maybe that's just me, but that's my take.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Maybe this is just me, but it irritates me when I see people talking about changing our claimed championships from '41 to '45 or '66. That kind of talk is exactly why we catch so much flack from other fan bases for our "made up championships." As of now, we claim nothing because every year we list as a championship team we were awarded a championship by someone.

Personally, I wish we had never gone anywhere near the '41 team being one of those champions, but at least we were named champion by, at the time, a credible source. The day we start shifting our championships around to better fit who feel are deserving, is the day that our championships start losing credibility.

Again, maybe that's just me, but that's my take.
The NCAA excepts Auburn's claim as the 1983, and it does make you want to vet them better. We have ours either way.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
And having gone through such a dry spell, we were in no mood for "great game" or close game" but domination. Incredible we won that game running the ball 75% of the time. Baker was like 6-11 one int and no td's. Is why he reminds me of Coker more than any other QB. His improvement was huge.

Actually, Barker was 4 of 13 for 18 yards, with two interceptions. This is part of what makes this my favorite. We were completely one dimensional, and still opened a six-pack of it on the Hurricanes. Our biggest play in the passing game was a pass interference penalty.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
It's like the OP is asking me to rank my children...

They're all awesome.
Nahhhh CA, I wouldn't do that. I just saw the article that attempted it. I always defer to true fans who span the decades who actually can make an informed argument on the topic. It's why I love this place.

1992 will always be right up there because it was the first I could actually remember. 2009 was just magical because of what we Bama fans had endured through the late 90s and the sanction years. It was also the Rose Bowl which was so inspiring because we always sang it in the fight song, but now it has new meaning for us younger generation too.

Beating the crap out of ND was glorious but this one just meant so much to me.

The thing I have trouble avoiding is distinguishing which ones mean the most vs. which teams were better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Y'know....people talk about how you can be a champion, and lose the bowl game.... (like they did in the 60s)....

But, think about it. If you are already "National Champions" -- and the Bowl Game is for all practical purposes....an exhibition game.....the incentive to win was small. I'm guessing Coach Bryant used that game to get ready for the next season. And, sometimes, losing that game provides a strong incentive to kick some backside in the off season.

I know Coach Saban would use that mindset.....

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
For me, because of my age and such.....My top 5 are:

1. 1992 (at the time, it felt so long since we had won) -- and George Teague became Superhuman in that game.
2. 1978 --- I was 10.....these guys were my heroes.
3. 2009 - Long drought -- and never thought we'd get there again.
4. 2015 - Perhaps the most "team" built championship ever
5. 2011 - I hate LSU

2012 was the most fun to watch though.....

For me, it goes a little something like this, for all intents and purposes I'm new school:

1. 2011 - It was so sweet to get revenge on LSU and that defense!!!

2. 2009 - Undefeated season and we were back. Plus my good friend Nico started as a freshman.

3. 1992 - That year was cool. Blanking Auburn in the Iron Bowl. I missed the SECCG, and beating down Miami was great.

4. 2015 - I don't think I ever wanted one so badly than this year.

5. 2012 - The backend of the back to back. It had the best game overall with UGA in the SECCG. Finally got to destroy ND and AU in the same year. Should've gone undefeated.

That's five in my lifetime and I hope and pray we get more! RTR!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Actually, Barker was 4 of 13 for 18 yards, with two interceptions. This is part of what makes this my favorite. We were completely one dimensional, and still opened a six-pack of it on the Hurricanes. Our biggest play in the passing game was a pass interference penalty.
True, but part of Barker's poor numbers and Bama's running success was that Miami D had to respect Palmer and Lee at WR. They did not try to man them much and hence Bama was able to run. I was at the game and it was interesting seeing Bama run all over Miami while they kept their safeties back to prevent long ball. Miami coaches over-estimated the ability of their talented but undersized DL to handle Bama's larger OL, at least that's the impression I got. Miami coaches seemed stunned at Bama's running success.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.