Question: Depth Chart for 2016 (Direct all depth chart discussion here)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Re: Depth Chart for 2016?

My understanding is that Allen is projected as a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. Most analyst have Howard going in the 2nd as the third TE prospect taken.
I am assuming Howard has graduated? I would look at next years crop of TE's, but my gut tells me he will go if he's graduated coming off on such a high note. TE's have a long shelf life in the NFL, so 2nd round is good imo. I hate to see him go though.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I am assuming Howard has graduated? I would look at next years crop of TE's, but my gut tells me he will go if he's graduated coming off on such a high note. TE's have a long shelf life in the NFL, so 2nd round is good imo. I hate to see him go though.
Foster and Howard stand to gain the most with a return. Foster has some questions about durability and Howard, while being seen as having huge "upside" in the NFL, there are still questions about his blocking and route running abilities. Howard is seen as having all the necessary tools. It is really hard for scouts to get a true handle on his skills when he was target so infrequently over the past two years.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Foster and Howard stand to gain the most with a return. Foster has some questions about durability and Howard, while being seen as having huge "upside" in the NFL, there are still questions about his blocking and route running abilities. Howard is seen as having all the necessary tools. It is really hard for scouts to get a true handle on his skills when he was target so infrequently over the past two years.
.I have been pondering my post. TE's in the NFL have a toughness these days, a LB mentality, that OJ could work on this year. He did show good hands, and speed at the position in the championship game, but could work on consistency and blocking. I am sure Lane, I hope, will utilize him more next season. Most of the big plays in the NC, he was not covered, other than the screen.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Summation of 2016 Depth Chart / Departing Juniors and Seniors

Departing Seniors/Juniors (2-deep):
WR - Richard Mullaney, Parker Barrineau
OL - Ryan Kelly (C), Dominck Jackson (RT)
QB - Jake Coker
FB - Michael Nysewander
TE - Ty Flournoy-Smith
RB - Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake
DE - A'Shawn Robinson, DJ Pettway, Jarran Reed
NG - Darren Lake
SLB - Dillon Lee
MLB - Reggie Ragland, Dillon Lee
WLB - None
Jack - Denzel Duvall
CB - Cyrus Jones, Bradley Sylve
SS - None
FS - Geno Matias-Smith
P - Alec Morris
K - None
PR - Cyrus Jones, Richard Mullaney
KR - Kenyan Drake

Project Depth Chart: (* indicates best guess as starter) (Confirmed returning juniors)
QB - Cooper Bateman / Blake Barnett* / David Cornwell
RB - Damien Harris / Bo Scarbrough*
WR - Calvin Ridley* / ArDarius Stewart* / Cam Sims / Daylon Carlot / Deionte Thompson / Derek Kief
TE/H - OJ Howard* (Pending decision to return) / Hale Hentges / Dakota Ball
FB - None
DE - Jonathan Allen* / Dalvin Tomlinson* / Da'Shawn Hand
NG - Daron Payne* / Josh Frazier
SLB - Rashaan Evans* / Christian Miller
MLB - Walker Jones / Adonis Thomas
WLB - Reuben Foster* / Shaun Dion Hamilton / Keith Holcombe
Jack - Ryan Anderson / Tim Williams*
CB - Marlon Humphrey* / Minkah Fitzpatrick / Maurice Smith* / Tony Brown
SS - Eddie Jackson* / Ronnie Harrison / Shawn Becker-Burgess
FS - Laurence Jones*
STAR - Minkah Fitzpatrick* / Tony Brown / Maurice Smith
P - JK Scott*
K - Adam Griffith* / JK Scott
LS - Cole Mazza*
H - Cooper Bateman
PR - No returners
KR - ArDarius Stewart* / No other returners

Enrolled freshman:
OT - Jonah Williams (5*)
OG - Chris Owens (4*)
QB - Jalen Hurts (4*)
TE - Miller Forristall (3*)
WR - TJ Simmons (3*)
ATH - Shawn Jennings (3*)

Signed LOI:
OT - Charles Baldwin (4* - JUCO)

Not listing any other commits or targets until they are on campus.

Anyone with better insight than I, I deeply welcome any input regarding best guess as starters (and will update the list accordingly)

I will also update Juniors that chose to depart as needed.

Also, have we gotten actual confirmation that Foster is returning (my assumption is yes, considering I don't think he would have graded as high as his potential is).

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Re: Returning Starters

Robinson, Piershbacher, Taylor, Ridley, Foster/Stewart, and hopefully OJ on offense.

Humphrey, Jackson, Fitzpatrick, Foster, and hopefully Allen on defense. Tomlinson, Hand, Payne, Anderson, Harrison, and SDH are not returning starters, but did play a lot of snaps of last year.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Robinson, Piershbacher, Taylor, Ridley, Foster/Stewart, and hopefully OJ on offense.

Humphrey, Jackson, Fitzpatrick, Foster, and hopefully Allen on defense. Tomlinson, Hand, Payne, Anderson, Harrison, and SDH are not returning starters, but did play a lot of snaps of last year.
And knowing Allen, Foster, and Howard are mostly likely coming back, the amount of playing time these guys saw on defense is the difference. This defense has the chance to be pretty salty again this year. It should take some of the pressure off the offense and give them time to jell and develop.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Returning starters is a grey area since we rotates soooo many this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

And our backs ups could start for so many other teams. "Returning starters" is an odd term around these parts ;)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Summation of 2016 Depth Chart / Departing Juniors and Seniors

You left out few people that was redshirted this year... that will get a chance to crack the starting lineup.

Foster should be fighting Sims/Stewart for the starting job....
QB: All qbs will get a chance to compete... including Hurts.
CB: Sheffield is real good and rumored that he'll fight Minkah for the starting CB next year.
Safety as well.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

I don't see Walker Jones starting at MLB. I see Shaun Dion moving over or Holcombe taking that spot.

I think Marlon will be one CB and Minkah and Sheffield will fight for the 2nd CB spot with the 'loser' taking the Star role. I think our secondary on paper will be the best in the SEC and possibly the nation.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

FS and SS isn't exactly accurate.... I expect Tony Brown to compete over there as well the star position.
I expect some shuffling between LBs position. Expect Hamilton to be side Foster on the field. Hamilton is very intelligent and folks have been raving about him.
I think we'll see plenty of Freshmen .. Maybe we'll need to do a depth chart after the signing day....

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Our secondary will be scary good next year for sure..

I'm going out on a limb judging by this pic CrimsonForce posted of 5* Kendell Jones on the Recruiting Board..Kendell & his 6-5 360lb DT body will move up the depth chart really quickly for a True Freshman when he gets on campus..That's Brendan Scales a 6-4 240lb TE standing besides Kendell & looks rather small..LOL

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

just how many of these types of threads do we need?
Just did some clean up on the first page. My preference is for very similar discussion areas to stay together. Helps the flow of conversation in a forum in my opinion. Less crossposting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.