Question: Depth Chart for 2016 (Direct all depth chart discussion here)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Summation of 2016 Depth Chart / Departing Juniors and Seniors

FS - R Harrison - Hootie Jones
SS - Jackson - Burgess-Becker
Star - T Brown - Jared Mayden
LCB - Humphrey - Sheffield
RCB - Fitzpatrick - A Averett
RE - Jonathan Allen - DaShawn Hand
DT - Daron Payne - the Hulk
LE - Dalvin Tomlinson - Jamar King
Jack - Tim Williams - Rashaan Evans
Mike - Reuben Foster - Ben Davis
Will - SD Hamilton - Holcombe
Sam - R Anderson - Christian Miller
Would put Josh Frazier behind Payne instead of Kendell Jones. KJ needs to lose some weight, which I'm sure he'll do over the summer. Until then, I wouldn't put him at #2.

Would also consider Mack Wilson for more playing time before Ben Davis.

Man, that is a crazy talented two deep. Since you went 3+ deep on the D-line last year, how does that look?
Guys are most likely going to have to play multiple positions on the DL this year. I'm not sure how the three deep will look if when including the new guys. Terrell Hall could be a Jack or DE but needs to add some weight. Davis and Jones can contribute in the middle, but one has academic questions while the other has weight concerns. Quinnen Williams is most likely to redshirt, so that's one less DE to rotate. Jamar King is for sure going to play. Many believe he can be a combo guy and play inside or outside.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Man, that is a crazy talented two deep. Since you went 3+ deep on the D-line last year, how does that look?
not as rosy as it was last year for sure. We need OJ Smith or Frazier to come around in a big way so we have some big body depth or potentially have Kirven or dwight move back over to DL from offense.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

It's a fair point to make on Bozeman. We have some crazy good talent on the interior of the OL. I figure Cotton wins out over Bozeman when moving to the interior. I think Cotton only played tackle last year because we HAD no tackles.

On the DL Kindle Jones does need to lose weight but I feel he's just a too big to fail sort of player. He does have some fluffy weight to lose but there is some serious country strong underneath that and he will shred that "fluff" in the conditioning program this summer.

Because we are diverse on the DL here is a more extensive view

3 man

End - J Allen - DaShawn Hand
Nose - Daron Payne - Kindlell Jones
End - Dalvin Tomlinson - Jamar King

4 man look

DE - Jonathan Allen - DaShawn Hand
DL - Daron Payne - Josh Frazier
DL - Kendell Jones - OJ Smith
DE - Dalvin Tomlinson - Jamar King

Kill the QB

DE Tim Williams
DT Jonathan Allen
DT Dalvin Tomlinson
DE Jamar King

Both five star LB's have a shot at playing time. I don't know which will end up better in the end. I went with Ben Davis because he is more suited for the inside because of size and because we are more stacked at outside LB this year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

not as rosy as it was last year for sure. We need OJ Smith or Frazier to come around in a big way so we have some big body depth or potentially have Kirven or dwight move back over to DL from offense.
Dakota Ball could move back to the DL if need be, too.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Dakota Ball could move back to the DL if need be, too.
True, but he's only listed at 255, so unless he's added a TON of weight he's not playing inside

On the DL Kindle Jones does need to lose weight but I feel he's just a too big to fail sort of player. He does have some fluffy weight to lose but there is some serious country strong underneath that and he will shred that "fluff" in the conditioning program this summer.

Because we are diverse on the DL here is a more extensive view

3 man

End - J Allen - DaShawn Hand
Nose - Daron Payne - Kindlell Jones
End - Dalvin Tomlinson - Jamar King

4 man look

DL - Kendell Jones - OJ Smith
DE - Dalvin Tomlinson - Jamar King

Kill the QB

DE Tim Williams
DT Jonathan Allen
DT Dalvin Tomlinson
DE Jamar King

Both five star LB's have a shot at playing time. I don't know which will end up better in the end. I went with Ben Davis because he is more suited for the inside because of size and because we are more stacked at outside LB this year.

I think this is the right way to look at it since we use so many multiples and we play in one of those 4 man fronts way more often than not. The only thing I'd change is that we normally drop the JACK down like a DE, and we don't have the NT types in the game so I'd predict:

DL - Dalvin Tomlinson - Jamar King
DE - Ryan Anderson - Tim Williams

Allen had that spot last year, backed up by pettway so we're good there with Hand

Payne should be ok since he was in the rotation already - backup quality completely unknown.

Dalvin is maybe a bit more athletic, but certainly not as stout so that's a concern; same with King. Maybe we use Smith here sometimes?

Anderson and Williams rotated that spot with Devall last year - honestly think Anderson was better as he seems faster and didn't seem to get beat to edge as much.

With our new 5star LB's I think we'll see Mack playing ILB instead of OLB for us, but he'll be over at WLB instead of MLB. He plays more like Mosely than McClain. That said, I'd still think Davis could see the field first and it will be interesting to see how things play out especially since we have three guys that redshirted last year (McMillion, Thomas and Anderson) competing there as well.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think that Saban is going to try to make Tim Williams into an every down player next year, based on comments both from Williams and Saban.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I think that Saban is going to try to make Tim Williams into an every down player next year, based on comments both from Williams and Saban.
Agreed, but I think he'll still be splitting reps with Anderson in some packages. Anderson was just as disruptive coming off the edge as Williams was, so I think we'll see them platoon much like our interior guys did last year to stay fresh

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

With few weeks to go until training camp, I'm wondering where is everyone's thought on what depth chart will look for on both sides of the ball? I'm curious to see what OL depth will look like, as well secondary.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.