Imagine if Coker had another year.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I did some calculating and his last 5 games he had-
1159 yards, 9 TDs, 0 INTs, 72.5% completions and a QB rating of 178.3
The team averaged 39 points a game during that stretch, even with some non offensive TDs thrown in, thats pretty strong.

He would certainly be at the Heisman ceremony if he came back and played that way over a full year.

Oh well, time to pass the torch to Barnett or Bateman, but kind of a shame it took Coker so long to get on the field where he could learn.......now his college career is over.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Kiffin deserves all the praise I believe. He had Coker well prepared for the semifinal and emptied the playbook to find every easy big splash play available against Clemson's looks. To be fair, Coker was kinda slow on his reads all season and I think a second year would have helped him greatly. The Sparty game was the one time he looked like he had a veteran's timing in the passing game but it seemed like we had their defense's number and it was all supremely well rehearsed. The Clemson game was a regression on that timing but Kiffin spent the whole second half giving him "easy wins."

Imagine if we had Sims this year? I'd really like to have a QB for a couple of years for once!

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He threw 0 int's in his last 5 games, that's huge. If he had started last year, we probably would have gone undefeated this year no doubt.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Different offensive mix too. Henry wasn't all the way there as a pass protector, so Yeldon was the primary option despite being gimpy most of the season. The OL was not as good in pass protection or run blocking, so Sims' shifty running and movement in the pocket helped to ease the pressure on that group. Our best player was a WR, so we needed to pass more at any rate.

That was a really weird year for us on offense. I don't think it is what we'll aim for as overarching strategy going forward with Kiffin (for however long that may be). It was what we had to do to win with that group of players relative to where they were in their development. We needed to be a more pass-centric team for a variety of reasons but I think the future will be more run-first like this year but building in better pass concepts that allow for explosive plays off the run.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
He threw 0 int's in his last 5 games, that's huge. If he had started last year, we probably would have gone undefeated this year no doubt.
This year's defense was to me the big difference in our fortunes from last year to this year. Last's years defense probably doesn't beat Ole Miss, Tennessee, or Clemson.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I said the same in another thread about Sims and Coker, who only got one year each.

But now we are entering a different time where it's very likely the next qb could have 2 or 3 years as a starter.

Now here's something to imagine. Imagine if Barnett wins the job this year and has 3 straight years to start???

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I just wonder if Coker will be end up being a Trent Dilfer type NFL QB - game manager with a strong running and strong defense. If some team commits to working with him he has the chance to be a pretty fair QB in the NFL.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Imagine if A.J. Would have had Kiffin.
That might be a harder question than it seems, and might depend on what offense he is given, and whether you are talking about team accompshipments or personal ones. Personally I think sims and Coker are better for lanes system based on their playing style.Sims and Coker are more athletic than AJ and create a good sense of fear of the improv play for the defense, especially sims. I think AJ would've been better under a kiffin system than a nuss system but not better than a mcelwain system. But I will say that with kiffin we would've atleast reached the national championship game in 2013.

Last edited:

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
It's fun to imagine Coker returning to lead our team in 2016. Yes, it's too bad we only had him as a starter for one year. But I am extremely happy for him and the season he had. I'm so glad he got to lead this team and experience winning a national championship at Alabama. Jake seems like such a nice, down-to-earth young man with all his priorities in the right place. I hope he is successful in the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.