Clemson's review of the onside kick

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Clemson's SBNation writers are usually pretty reasonable/rational. No surprise their post-mortem is just a tip of the hat...because if that fourth quarter happened to us, I imagine that is all I could muster myself.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only play Alexander might have helped them was on that back breaking TE screen run. But that is a big IF just expecting that Alexander would have made that tackle that Baker (right?) couldn't.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
"Now Alabama does take some risks by aligning like it does here. If a returner is able to beat the contain player to the right side of the field there is no one left to make a game saving touchdown."

That's why it was so smart to have Humphrey out there. It was basically a race to that spot and the coaches had maybe our fastest player in that position.

Last edited:

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
"Now Alabama does take some risks by aligning like it does here. If a returner is able to beat the contain player to the right side of the field there is no one left to make a game saving touchdown."

That's why it was so smart to have Humphrey out there. It was basically a race to that spot and the coaches had maybe our fastest player in that position.
Dumb comment from clemson site. Bama didn't take risks, they did their homework, reviewed game film, and saw that Clemson aligned tight when the kicking team aligned tight and that the freshman on the end got an early jump retreating and frequently turned to the inside. It was a play that could only fail if the kick was bad or if Humphrey dropped the ball. Way less risky than it seems.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I saw it worded on another analysis article (can't remember the one right now): "The biggest risk Alabama will take is having their former 5-star kicker pop it up to their former 5-star defensive back and track star"

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I saw it worded on another analysis article (can't remember the one right now): "The biggest risk Alabama will take is having their former 5-star kicker pop it up to their former 5-star defensive back and track star"
Kind of like a reprise of that old song "Stars Fell on Alabama." :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was happy to see MH step OOB. He could only make another couple of yards and it would have been heartbreaking to gain the advantage, just to lose it on a fumble...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I was happy to see MH step OOB. He could only make another couple of yards and it would have been heartbreaking to gain the advantage, just to lose it on a fumble...
Going back to the free kick rules; the ref said he could not advance the ball after the catch. Is the play dead once he gains possession? Therefore, he couldn't fumble after the catch?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I assume that Humphrey was aware that he couldn't advance the possession since they had been practicing the concept since Fall Camp. They may have even advised him to run it straight out of bounds if he gained possession to avoid any harm: don't try to fall over and risk losing possession, just get out of bounds.

I'm not sure how the rules work on that type of onside recovery either. Effectively, the play is dead at the spot of recovery because you cannot advance the possession...but is the play itself dead at the moment of secured possession by the coverage team player? At either rate, getting out of bounds and letting the officials sort out the spot is the percentage play.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Going back to the free kick rules; the ref said he could not advance the ball after the catch. Is the play dead once he gains possession? Therefore, he couldn't fumble after the catch?
Yah, it becomes dead as soon as it is caught or recovered by the kicking team - no chance of a fumble.

ARTICLE 6. a. If a free kick is caught or recovered by a player of the receiving team, the ball continues in play (Exceptions: Rules 4-1-3-g, 6-1-7, and 6-5-1 and 2). If caught or recovered by a player of the kicking team, the ball becomes dead. The ball belongs to the receiving team at the dead-ball spot, unless the kicking team is in legal possession when the ball is declared dead. In the latter case, the ball belongs to the kicking team.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Thanks, I was more worried about KD's kick off return. I was afraid they would say he lost control of the ball prior to crossing the goal line thus resulting in a touch back for Clemson. Fortunately, he just got by the line.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Thanks, I was more worried about KD's kick off return. I was afraid they would say he lost control of the ball prior to crossing the goal line thus resulting in a touch back for Clemson. Fortunately, he just got by the line.
Yah, I was worried as well - was actually surprised they didn't stop play to review it...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i thought they did review that one. i remember kirk saying "he got the ball inside the pylon in control" or something like that
Oh, maybe they did. I was bouncing off the walls at that point. I had to threaten my chirruns with physical harm when I overheard one of them make some comment about recording my antics and putting them on youtube... :biggrin2:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
There is a great photo in the latest issue of SI showing the ball in his hand with the shadow of the ball cast onto the pylon. No question, TD!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The ball hit the pylon while in his hand, and at that point the play was over.
yeah, i know. in the era of re-play, the announcers nit pick like crazy and iirc, they were doing it then, doing slo-mo to see when the ball left his hand. as soon as the ball hit the pylon (actually as soon as he turned the corner) i was jumping up and down screaming at the top of my lungs. i woke up my wife up stairs, but somehow my daughter didn't budge.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
just because it's so awesome. i dont think there was any way he was going to be denied the end zone. it is insane how athletic of a play this was

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.