"I have a dream..."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I hate to rain on anyone's parade but he'd be 87 and irrelevant. I also suspect he'd fit in just fine with BLM.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we saw this one yesterday at church in our adult education class

it's entitled "the other america" and it seems to speak to a lot of the issues we are still seeing today

its a bit long (48 minutes) but worth it if you have the time.

a transcript can be found here. link

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
What would Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. think about Jesse J.? How about the divisiveness of our President?
dr king was pretty damned divisive in his day and im sure he still would be. and you don't think he would be supportive of obama?

some pieces from the speech i posted above.

It's not merely a struggle against extremist behavior toward Negroes. And I'm convinced that many of the very people who supported us in the struggle in the South are not willing to go all the way now. I came to see this in a very difficult and painful way. In Chicago the last year where I've lived and worked. Some of the people who came quickly to march with us in Selma and Birmingham weren't active around Chicago. And I came to see that so many people who supported morally and even financially what we were doing in Birmingham and Selma, were really outraged against the extremist behavior of Bull Connor and Jim Clark toward Negroes, rather than believing in genuine equality for Negroes. And I think this is what we've gotta see now, and this is what makes the struggle much more difficult.

----

And this leads me to say something about another discussion that we hear a great deal, and that is the so-called "white backlash". I would like to honestly say to you that the white backlash is merely a new name for an old phenomenon. It's not something that just came into being because of shouts of Black Power, or because Negroes engaged in riots in Watts, for instance. The fact is that the state of California voted a Fair Housing bill out of existence before anybody shouted Black Power, or before anybody rioted in Watts.

It may well be that shouts of Black Power and riots in Watts and the Harlems and the other areas, are the consequences of the white backlash rather than the cause of them. What it is necessary to see is that there has never been a single solid monistic determined commitment on the part of the vast majority of white Americans on the whole question of Civil Rights and on the whole question of racial equality. This is something that truth impels all men of good will to admit.

----

In 1863 the Negro was freed from the bondage of physical slavery. But at the same time, the nation refused to give him land to make that freedom meaningful. And at that same period America was giving millions of acres of land in the West and the Midwest, which meant that America was willing to undergird its white peasants from Europe with an economic floor that would make it possible to grow and develop, and refused to give that economic floor to its black peasants, so to speak.

----

Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. I'm still convinced that nonviolence is the most potent weapon available to oppressed people in their struggle for freedom and justice. I feel that violence will only create more social problems than they will solve. That in a real sense it is impracticable for the Negro to even think of mounting a violent revolution in the United States. So I will continue to condemn riots, and continue to say to my brothers and sisters that this is not the way. And continue to affirm that there is another way.

But at the same time, it is as necessary for me to be as vigorous in condemning the conditions which cause persons to feel that they must engage in riotous activities as it is for me to condemn riots. I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
we saw this one yesterday at church in our adult education class

it's entitled "the other america" and it seems to speak to a lot of the issues we are still seeing today

its a bit long (48 minutes) but worth it if you have the time.

a transcript can be found here. link
Thanks for posting. There are some people, especially politicians, that I can't stand to hear them utter a single word.

I could sit and listen to Dr. King all day and even more. I just love hearing that voice and what that voice says.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am sure he would agree that the Oscar nominees being all white was a bigger concern than black on black violence, fatherless black families or urban drug addiction and other minor problems facing the African American community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollSaban

Oct 15, 2015
We need a "i have a dream for a better economy for all". We need that kind of inspiration to inject some life into this country.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I hate to rain on anyone's parade but he'd be 87 and irrelevant. I also suspect he'd fit in just fine with BLM.
At 87 he may have become senile with dementia or whatever. So, I'm not sure he would have fit in with BLM unless they propped him up at their meetings so that he could smile on their parade.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
We need a "i have a dream for a better economy for all". We need that kind of inspiration to inject some life into this country.
I have a dream, that the federal reserve, aka a private banking cartel, would be abolished and the 19 trillion dollar debt would be abolished. I have a dream that all Americans wake up and quit living on credit and are no longer slaves to the bankers. I have a dream, that the government abides by its original Constitutional charter. I have a dream that the illegal income, social security and medicare taxes are revoked. Oh yes, I have a dream.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I don't think Dr. King, in any of his speeches, ever mentioned The Oscars, did he?

There were a few more pressing issues to deal with at the time.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Hasn't some of Dr King's children, nephews and nieces condemned BLM? I know I have heard of at least a daughter and a niece rip that group.

I am not so sure that if Dr King were alive today we might learn that he would be disappointed to see there are far too many fatherless and split family homes for children, tons more drug addiction, less educated and unemployed or underemployed population and what seems to be a higher level of violent crime that runs through all races and cultures of our country.

And then he could watch the debates and be really broken hearted. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.