I kinda feel bad for Jayron Kearse

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I pointed that out the day after. He was in every single highlight for us on the wrong end. In fairness, that's not him on special teams. It's a receiver who wears the same number

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I pointed that out the day after. He was in every single highlight for us on the wrong end. In fairness, that's not him on special teams. It's a receiver who wears the same number
You're right. I couldn't find a good pic that showed the name on the jersey. But, looking at pics, the #1 on the kickoff has a different facemask. Good catch, Mack.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
#1 on kickoff is Trevion Thompson, a freshman WR. Bama intentionally targeted him because he consistently lined up tight in game film and would routinely turn to the inside upon the kick. He was an easy target. Clemson had special teams issues all year. It was their true weakness as a team (ESPN ranked their special teams 123 out of 128 teams). Kudos to Bama coaches for seeing this and exploiting it.

Even without the onside kick, Kearse did not have a very good time last Monday.

I’m a bit surprised at clemson’s safeties declaring for nfl as they did not have the speed to keep up with a 250 lb RB or a TE, not sure that will translate into starting roles in the nfl.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You're right. I couldn't find a good pic that showed the name on the jersey. But, looking at pics, the #1 on the kickoff has a different facemask. Good catch, Mack.
To be clear we're talking about the onsided kick right?

1: You see in all three pics the individual has a sleeve on one arm and an armband (he has another band above the elbow) on the other. No one else in the pictures has that.
2: If you move on to the facemask, it has four bars on the top and five on the bottom.
3: He actually has a band on his knee as well.
4: He has white gloves and doesn't seem to like closing the straps all the time.

The first three pics are the same dude (and the first one is special teams to right?). Now, I can't tell on the onsided kick because a quick search didn't reveal such high resolution, but the first three pics are matching all the way to the placement of armbands and what not.

Last edited:

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I wondered going in if we could hit some big plays on Kearse. When I heard his size I automatically figured he would be a beast in the run game and suspect in the passing game. Similar to what we did to Cam Chancellor in the opening game of the 09 season. That game was on tv a few weeks back and while watching I was surprised to see how we picked on him that entire game. We hit a number of big pass plays on him that night. I immediately thought about that when I heard about Kearse in the lead up to the title game.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I feel bad for him & then I think about his teammates running their mouth's about Bama before we played..I'll give Clemson credit for playing harder than any team has in a NC Game..But..It was rewarding breaking their hearts as we added to college footballs largest collection of NC's..I hope their "Dabo Pizza Party" heals those broken hearts..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Some of the Clemson fans were questioning whether or not they got his best effort or he was protecting himself against injury with an eye on the draft. Personally, I have no idea how many of them felt that way or how much truth is in it. Saban has said that wew had some of those in the OSU game last year...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Some of the Clemson fans were questioning whether or not they got his best effort or he was protecting himself against injury with an eye on the draft. Personally, I have no idea how many of them felt that way or how much truth is in it. Saban has said that wew had some of those in the OSU game last year...
I wonder if you'd get everyone's best effort and take the 'what if I'm injured' question off of the table by having an insurance pool for Seniors and some juniors to protect them in case of serious injury. Each team can submit 10-15 players to be graded on August 1st. 1st/2nd round Jr and Sr can get up to $2MM for an injury that ends their career. Juniors who grade outside 2nd round are not eligible. Seniors who are outside 1st and 2nd round but considered likely to be drafted can get up to $500k.

If a kid likely to be a top pick is hurt and never plays the game again, he'd at a minimum have an education and $500k in the bank. If a player wanted more coverage, they could buy it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.