The SEC Made Bank in First Year of SECN and CFP

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The return, which the conference provided Thursday in response to a request from USA TODAY Sports, also shows that SEC had $527.4 million in total revenue for a fiscal year that ended Aug. 31, 2015. That was the first fiscal year in which the conference began receiving money from the formation of the SEC Network and from the new College Football Playoff.

The total revenue figure is more than 60% greater than the SEC reported for a fiscal year ending Aug. 31, 2014.

The conference announced last spring that it would be distributing about $455.8 million to its 14 member schools — or about $31.2 million per school.

In its fiscal year ending Aug. 31, 2009, the SEC reported total revenue of just under $150 million.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
To be fair, it's not really fair Alabama's CFP appearance money is going to all 14 teams.
We must have thought it was fair if we signed an agreement so stipulating. A deal's a deal.

Plus, though I don't have the specifics in from of me - and at the risk of some smart alec (or is is alex?) offering to Google That For Me - the CFP-participating school keeps something like $2 million of the money from each game. The remainder is then divided up among the members.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To be fair, it's not really fair Alabama's CFP appearance money is going to all 14 teams.
I see your point, but also think that the purpose of a conference is to ensure the long-term prosperity of all members. It's just not the same goal as for an individual institution.

The benefit evens out over time, as all schools go through good times and lean times. True, since the inception of the conference, Alabama has provided more than it has received. But to me, that's just part of the price of greatness. Also, id be willing to bet that we've benefitted more than we've provided on the basketball side of things. I'm thinking that UK is to basketball money what we are to football money.

I don't know if it's still done similarly, but back in the days of a 10-team league, they used to divide money from each bowl into 12 shares -- the participating team got two shares, the SEC Office got one, and the other nine schools got one each. It was the only way Vandy, MSU and some others could find competitive programs.

Your point about sharing equally is valid, but I think we have only to look to UTw and the Big 12-2 to see what happens when some members are significantly more equal than others on a permanent basis.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I disagree, for one reason only. Well, let me say I don't care, rather than I don't agree because by definition you are right in saying it's not fair. The one reason why I don't care is, Big 12. I don't ever want the SEC to be like them in any way, and while Vanderbilt does not invest in being great like Alabama does, I value their membership in the conference and I recognize the reality that, if Alabama is going to dominate and win, someone else has to lose.

So, not fair? Correct. But in this endeavor I'd rather keep it equal instead of fair. Fair begats situations like the Big 12 cratering into a mid major league.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I just don't understand why/how the teams in the Big 12-2 tolerate that LHN! Why isn't there a Big 12-2 Network? If I were the Sooners, I would leave because of IT! I guess Iowa State, TCU, TT, Baylor, et al are just Proud to Be There/Exist. Why don't they split money EVENLY since they are all conference equals? Oh, I guess they are not equals in that conference.?!

But again Why do the Sooners tolerate it? There was something in the Houston Chronicle about this last week regarding the Oklahoma President and their AD. What benefit does Oklahoma get from being in the Big 12-2? Did they have to SHARE $$$$$$$$$$$ from being in the NC Playoffs with UTw? If so why doesn't UTw share their LHN $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ with the rest of that conference.

I've gone there a few times to view what's happening and it's BORING! They are LIVING in the PAST by showing the Horns vs USCw to make them think they are relevant.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I hope that the universities can get a handle on this extra money so that it doesn't all just end up going into higher salaries for coaches

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I see your point, but also think that the purpose of a conference is to ensure the long-term prosperity of all members. It's just not the same goal as for an individual institution.

The benefit evens out over time, as all schools go through good times and lean times. True, since the inception of the conference, Alabama has provided more than it has received. But to me, that's just part of the price of greatness. Also, id be willing to bet that we've benefitted more than we've provided on the basketball side of things. I'm thinking that UK is to basketball money what we are to football money.

I don't know if it's still done similarly, but back in the days of a 10-team league, they used to divide money from each bowl into 12 shares -- the participating team got two shares, the SEC Office got one, and the other nine schools got one each. It was the only way Vandy, MSU and some others could find competitive programs.

Your point about sharing equally is valid, but I think we have only to look to UTw and the Big 12-2 to see what happens when some members are significantly more equal than others on a permanent basis.
I disagree, for one reason only. Well, let me say I don't care, rather than I don't agree because by definition you are right in saying it's not fair. The one reason why I don't care is, Big 12. I don't ever want the SEC to be like them in any way, and while Vanderbilt does not invest in being great like Alabama does, I value their membership in the conference and I recognize the reality that, if Alabama is going to dominate and win, someone else has to lose.

So, not fair? Correct. But in this endeavor I'd rather keep it equal instead of fair. Fair begats situations like the Big 12 cratering into a mid major league.
Saying a team should get the entire amount of bowl/championship revenue is not nearly the same as what Texas did. They wanted more money overall.

I hope that the universities can get a handle on this extra money so that it doesn't all just end up going into higher salaries for coaches
I know UA's athletic department gives money to the academic side, but I'm not positive about every school.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I just don't understand why/how the teams in the Big 12-2 tolerate that LHN! Why isn't there a Big 12-2 Network? If I were the Sooners, I would leave because of IT! I guess Iowa State, TCU, TT, Baylor, et al are just Proud to Be There/Exist. Why don't they split money EVENLY since they are all conference equals? Oh, I guess they are not equals in that conference.?!

But again Why do the Sooners tolerate it? There was something in the Houston Chronicle about this last week regarding the Oklahoma President and their AD. What benefit does Oklahoma get from being in the Big 12-2? Did they have to SHARE $$$$$$$$$$$ from being in the NC Playoffs with UTw? If so why doesn't UTw share their LHN $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ with the rest of that conference.

I've gone there a few times to view what's happening and it's BORING! They are LIVING in the PAST by showing the Horns vs USCw to make them think they are relevant.
Yes, Iowa State, Kansas State, TCU and Texas Tech bring absolutely nothing to the table. Well, Texas Tech is in a TV set heavy state, but that would be all. I can't really blame them.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Maybe they could lower ticket prices lol, share the wealth a little. Going to the movies tonight and looking forward to that $20 bag of popcorn for 2.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Trying to figure how Baylor will spin this. Bowl wins don't mean much. Recruiting stars don't mean much. OOC wins don't mean much. BCS championships are rigged by ESPN. SEC bias everywhere. Hmmmm. This money has to be tainted, somehow.

TCU board says "SEC recruiting negotiation just went up", LOL.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alabama was one of ten athletic departments to put more money back towards academics than it received in subsidies. Link

In case you didn’t know, college athletics is big business and there’s a ton of financial hoarding going on as revenue from a variety of ventures, particularly in football, increases exponentially every year FBS-wide.

But despite statistics revealing the opposite from the overwhelming majority, there are some athletic departments that have pumped more money back into their campuses for academic purposes over the last four fiscal years than its athletic subsidies.

This is a sign, albeit a small one, of hope.

According to a recent statistical analysis and examination of financial reports by The Chronicle, only 10 athletic departments of the 40 (205 total surveyed) who reported giving money to their universities for academic purposes “gave more money back to the campus than the departments received in subsidies”, a disappointing number.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.