Link: Dantonio's Cotton Bowl Closure

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think Dantonio is an awesome coach - what he has achieved at Michigan State - MICHIGAN STATE - is astonishing. If he were here post-Saban, I think we'd continue to dominate. Maybe not at the same level, but the man has the chops - he just hasn't had the players to compete with Alabama. Not to take away from Saban, but the difference in physical ability and talent between MSU and Alabama was amazing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Better than Richt over the same time period. 2 conference titles, 2 major bowl wins (Rose and Fiesta).

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I think Dantonio is an awesome coach - what he has achieved at Michigan State - MICHIGAN STATE - is astonishing. If he were here post-Saban, I think we'd continue to dominate. Maybe not at the same level, but the man has the chops - he just hasn't had the players to compete with Alabama. Not to take away from Saban, but the difference in physical ability and talent between MSU and Alabama was amazing.
Yup..When our Football Program is running on all cylinders, it pretty much runs itself, there's a tried true & proven style of football that is Bama Football..If the HC doesn't deviate very much from that proven style of Bama Football..That HC will win & win big at Alabama..That's why I never thought Coach Price was a good hire with his pass happy style of offense at Bama & wouldn't want Dabo as our HC either..

Coach Dantonio would win & win big with the kinda talent he would have at Bama..It would be all up to him on the recruiting trail as to if he could keep up what Coach Saban has built at Bama..I would be a happy Bama Fan with Coach Dantonio at Bama cause he's cut from the coaching mold as Coach Saban & Coach Stallings as well..

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is why he is a great coach. These types of losses should eat at you. It will make him better.
Agree, to a point. It hurt GA for a full season when their head coach couldn't get past the close loss to Alabama in the SECCG. Have to move on or use it as fuel.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
They weren't prepared for our D's combination of size and speed. They tried to run it down our throats, and got stuffed. Without the running game, their passing game had nothing. As their QB said, "They're )(*&(*&#+=* everywhere."

Plus, face it, MSU and LSU were our best two games of the year. And we were about as close to perfect as a team can be against MSU.

And to say that an efficient passer with a 4.5 40 and shifty and/or powerful is our kryptonite is to understate the case. Those guys are everybody's kryptonite.

Keep in mind, when the media slobber on about Alabama not being able to handle a dual threat quarterback, they're referring to Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel, Nick Marshall and Deshaun Watson. Three Heisman winners, a Heisman finalist, and an All-SEC QB who was born to run that offense. Compounding that, all except Manziel had 1,000 yard rushers helping them out. Collectively, we're 4-4 against those guys, and three of the last four. Even on the four losses, three of them happened only after multiple miracles of one sort or another.

The first loss against Tebow was the only game where there were no miracles on the part of the opponent -- they just lined up and beat us when it mattered in the 4th quarter.

Given the championship stakes in every one of those games, plus the fact we're Alabama, we get everybody's most focused, most adrenalin-fueled, best shot. There is no other team in the country that could play that list of opponents, playing at the championship level at which we faced them, and emerge breakeven.
and we beat tebow, marshall and manziel's teams the second time around. unfortunately, we didn't get a second shot at cam

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Agree, to a point. It hurt GA for a full season when their head coach couldn't get past the close loss to Alabama in the SECCG. Have to move on or use it as fuel.
No the fans maybe did not move on. Richt had moved on the day after. I heard the comparison between Richt and Dantonio. Dantonio is from the Saban tree and emulates his coaching style, Richt is from the Bowden tree back when it was Free Shoe University. What was it the ole ball coach said about playing Georgia the first week of the season when Richt was in charge?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I think dealing with the post mortem this way instead of how Mack Brown did it will wind up being good for MSU long term. He had to air it and get it off his chest before he can move on.

They are the closest thing the Big Ten has. Certainly far more talented and athletic than Michigan State, but they blew that game completely.
Can't say that. They struggled to beat teams all year long, bad teams as that. It's like Bama struggling to beat LA-Lafayette among other. If they are the closest to Bama that doesn't say much about Bama.

But to me Bama was head, shoulders and torso about them. You don't lose at home to an inferior team, WITH THEIR BACK UP QB. You just don't.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm sorry. I just don't buy that OSU was just as talented as Alabama.
Man, with numbers as close as these in recruiting, it's easy to believe OSU has as much talent as Bama. Yah, we have a few more 'premier' players, but if you showed me two anonymous teams with these numbers I'd tell you they were evenly matched.

Recruiting rankings:
2012:
Alabama: #1 (three 5*, fourteen 4*)
OSU: #4 (two 5*, fourteen 4*))

2013:
Alabama: #1 (four 5*, thirteen 4*)
OSU: #2 (two 5*, sixteen 4*)

2014:
Alabama: #1 (six 5*, thirteen 4*)
OSU: #3 (one 5*, fifteen 4*)

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No the fans maybe did not move on. Richt had moved on the day after. I heard the comparison between Richt and Dantonio. Dantonio is from the Saban tree and emulates his coaching style, Richt is from the Bowden tree back when it was Free Shoe University. What was it the ole ball coach said about playing Georgia the first week of the season when Richt was in charge?
Richt himself said that the game still haunted him well into the following season.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Can't say that. They struggled to beat teams all year long, bad teams as that. It's like Bama struggling to beat LA-Lafayette among other. If they are the closest to Bama that doesn't say much about Bama.

But to me Bama was head, shoulders and torso about them. You don't lose at home to an inferior team, WITH THEIR BACK UP QB. You just don't.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Ohio State's problems this year had nothing to do with talent. It had everything to do with Urban Meyer's mismanagement of the team. It was the same thing that did him in at Florida after they won it all in 2008. His 2009 team returned almost everyone, but they tip toed their way through their schedule and then ultimately got destroyed by a highly motivated Alabama team. Things were compounded for Meyer this year by how he handled the QB issue as well.

Yes, I believe, had Meyer been able to properly motivate that team this year, they would have easily beaten Michigan State and been a much, much tougher out in the playoffs than the Spartans were. But this is an area that Meyer struggles in. Sustaining success.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Dantonio needs to meet with Gino Torretta. He's gotta move on and focus on the next game.
Yup..I have nothing but respect for Coach Dantonio & is one I would hate to see on the list of HC's that's been "Processed"..I'm pulling for him..He's a good guy & love his style of hard nose football..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Man, with numbers as close as these in recruiting, it's easy to believe OSU has as much talent as Bama. Yah, we have a few more 'premier' players, but if you showed me two anonymous teams with these numbers I'd tell you they were evenly matched.

Recruiting rankings:
2012:
Alabama: #1 (three 5*, fourteen 4*)
OSU: #4 (two 5*, fourteen 4*))

2013:
Alabama: #1 (four 5*, thirteen 4*)
OSU: #2 (two 5*, sixteen 4*)

2014:
Alabama: #1 (six 5*, thirteen 4*)
OSU: #3 (one 5*, fifteen 4*)
In that stratosphere, it is largely a wash between 1 and 5...typically speaking.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
In that stratosphere, it is largely a wash between 1 and 5...typically speaking.
I believe that Urban Meyer has problems manipulating or coaxing chemistry on his team, and that is what separates him from coach Saban. It's a roll of the dice for him and might get a good one every few years, especially selling a NC on a new team. He has still yet to prove he can sustain order with SEC type 5 star talent. Urban Decay.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.