Link: Dantonio's Cotton Bowl Closure

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the next two years will be telling for Urban Meyer. He's proven that he can build a program up but he's never been in the maintain-mode situation. He left BGSU for Utah when BGSU got rolling. He left Utah for Florida when Utah got rolling. He left Florida after having it all fall apart around him. There's just very little track record there for what a long-standing Meyer program will look like...and the one data point isn't positive. They're having their first real big turnover of his Buckeye tenure next season.

To be fair, people were questioning Saban's staying-power after 2010 too. Those people would quickly point out that he was a flighty coach who either left right when they were at their peak (Michigan State) or just after they had a bump in the road (LSU). The run since 2010 has shown that he does have the ability to repeatedly mold a team into an elite group, so most people just went to plan B (that he would be leaving Alabama soon). They've struck out on both...

So I guess I'm saying I'm not going to just assume Meyer can't maintain...but we will know in the next two years.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think the next two years will be telling for Urban Meyer. He's proven that he can build a program up but he's never been in the maintain-mode situation. He left BGSU for Utah when BGSU got rolling. He left Utah for Florida when Utah got rolling. He left Florida after having it all fall apart around him. There's just very little track record there for what a long-standing Meyer program will look like...and the one data point isn't positive. They're having their first real big turnover of his Buckeye tenure next season.

To be fair, people were questioning Saban's staying-power after 2010 too. Those people would quickly point out that he was a flighty coach who either left right when they were at their peak (Michigan State) or just after they had a bump in the road (LSU). The run since 2010 has shown that he does have the ability to repeatedly mold a team into an elite group, so most people just went to plan B (that he would be leaving Alabama soon). They've struck out on both...

So I guess I'm saying I'm not going to just assume Meyer can't maintain...but we will know in the next two years.
He's the second best coach in America in my mind. If he stays at Ohio State, where he can totally dominate the conference, there's no telling how many national titles he can win.
The guy's a great football coach.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
He's the second best coach in America in my mind. If he stays at Ohio State, where he can totally dominate the conference, there's no telling how many national titles he can win.
The guy's a great football coach.
He hasn't dominated Dantonio, and I don't think he'll dominate Harbaugh. Meyer is 46-2 against everyone else in the conference, and 2-2 against Dantonio. Dantonio knocked Meyer out of NC contention in '13 and '15.

He's a great football coach, but he hasn't proved he can a maintain a great problem, so let's wait and see how he does when his success forces the conference to get better overall.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Urban has to go to Norman, Oklahoma in September, next to our game with SC that's the most intriguing regular season matchup to me from a national perspective in 2016.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Woody Hayes thought these kind of losses cleansed the soul. Glad we could help.

Hope he doesn't punch a player like Woody did a couple years after we processed him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.