January 19, 2004 - "I Have A Scream" by the Democratic Front-runner

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Twelve years ago yesterday (my apologies for the delay), Howard Dean's campaign imploded with the most overplayed quote since Michigan Governor George Romney said he was "brainwashed" in 1967.

"Not only are we going to New Hampshire, Tom Harkin, we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma and Arizona and North Dakota and New Mexico, and we're going to California and Texas and New York.... And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan, and then we're going to Washington, D.C., to take back the White House. YEEEEEAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Look, I would never have voted for Dean (he was a pacifist disaster), but.....I really did think the guy got a raw deal out of that whole thing. There wasn't ANYTHING Dean did that was ANY different than Al Gore going to a black church and sounding like a John Hagee wannabe in the 2000 campaign (and - quite frankly - looking like a phony and condescending politician every step and breath he took).

It wasn't that Dean was coming unhinged or even looked like it; it was that THE MEDIA SAID OVER AND OVER AND OVER again that this was PROOF that he was just a tad bit insane. Dean would probably have lost anyway (interesting if the Iowa caucuses held been held two weeks later - when we had been told there was NEVER any evidence of WMDs in Iraq), but the overkill here from the press was perhaps the worst I've ever seen.

(This is why they will determine if there's a race or not and who THEY think is viable).

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Agree with you Selma. Not a Dean fan at all, but the way the MSM played political executioner made me naseous. Praise/scold a politician on the merits. What the media does now is little more than elementary school play ground style bullying - deciding who the cool kids are and who should be shunned.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That was my favorite political moment in history. And there isn't a close second. That was a great soundbite and I laughed at it for days. Hell, I still laugh when I think about it.

I also agree with you on the media. They are vultures of the worst sort.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That was my favorite political moment in history. And there isn't a close second. That was a great soundbite and I laughed at it for days. Hell, I still laugh when I think about it.

I also agree with you on the media. They are vultures of the worst sort.
Oh I laughed at it for days myself. It WAS funny, the only thing coming close for me when Bentsen floored Quayle with the line about JFK. But I still thought he got whacked wrongly.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't remember enough about who was doing well in what state and all that, but to me he was a far better and more likable candidate than John Kerry.
Dean led for most of 2003. Part of what undid him was the capture of Saddam Hussein in December 2003. In a broad national poll dated December 17, Dean had a huge lead except......well, over half of the vote was undecided. Dean had been raising money via the Internet, the first candidate to really succeed at that venture.

Dean was sort of a cross (mannerisms-wise) between Mitt Romney and Al Gore with a mixture of Jethro Bodine. I could not believe that man was an out and out medical doctor, but he was/is. His main opponents were Kerry (everyone knew NH was going to eliminate one of those two), John Edwards (the South's great white Democratic hope, the new Bill Clinton), Wesley Clark (rumored to be a stalking horse for Hillary), Dick Gephardt (former House Majority leader), Joe Liebermann (then a Democrat), and a smattering of nobodies like Al Sharpton and Carol Moseley-Braun.

Dean was endorsed by Al Gore on December 9, which basically ended Liebermann's campaign (repudiated by the guy who picked him - what a traitor). But organization mattered more and the capture of Hussein had folks thinking that maybe the Iraq War was NOT a mistake........and that left Kerry, the former Navy swift boat guy, as the ONE Democrat with a military record who would not be tagged as soft on patriotism. A lot of Dems threw in with Kerry simply because they thought he was the best hope to beat Bush.

(I honestly don't think anyone outside of Kerry's own family actually looked at him and said, "This guy would be a good President." That whole election was you were either FOR or AGAINST Bush).

Kerry caught him and beat him - and once he drummed him in New Hampshire, Dean was toast.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Wesley Clark - possibly the last Democrat presidential candidate with a sense of seriousness.

What cemented his fate in some circles was accepting Madonna's invitation to visit her to discuss foreign policy initiatives.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I was in Iowa City visiting friends for those caucuses. If I recall, when your candidate doesn't have enough votes for a delegate you may switch your votes to another candidate so that your second choice can receive a delegate. Being that all three of us were supporting Kucinich, we were everybody's best friend. The Dean supporters came off as pushy and arrogant which I believe was a large reason for his fall to third in Iowa. His campaigners just rubbed people the wrong way. All three of us, watching the coverage live, thought his speech was bizarre and a little manic. I understand his account that we was rallying his supporters and that the microphones were not picking up the crowd noise but at the time it seemed odd.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was in Iowa City visiting friends for those caucuses. If I recall, when your candidate doesn't have enough votes for a delegate you may switch your votes to another candidate so that your second choice can receive a delegate. Being that all three of us were supporting Kucinich, we were everybody's best friend. The Dean supporters came off as pushy and arrogant which I believe was a large reason for his fall to third in Iowa. His campaigners just rubbed people the wrong way. All three of us, watching the coverage live, thought his speech was bizarre and a little manic. I understand his account that we was rallying his supporters and that the microphones were not picking up the crowd noise but at the time it seemed odd.
I've never been to the Iowa caucuses, but my understanding is that what you say here is correct (based upon reading a lot of books about elections). Basically (if I have it right), they go sit at the candidate's table and if your candidate does NOT get 15% of the vote, you get to choose another candidate (some do, some don't) and THAT is the final vote.

I think Hillary's biggest mistake by far in 2008 was getting drawn into the Iowa caucuses against a community organizer with tons of experience in motivating people at the local level (particularly one from a neighboring state of Iowa).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.