News Article: Why Alabama is Encouraged About Future of QB Blake Barnett

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know CSC will get Blake where he needs to be and keep him there.

I'd just guess his "ideal" playing weight, for the type of player he is, is around 220 pounds.

FWIW, my guess is that BB will be just fine either way. He knows he's not Tim Tebow and the coaches will teach him to avoid the big hit, like they did with Blake Sims.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Croyle is different. He was prone to getting hurt anyway.
I believe Coker has the strongest arm since Croyle. but Croyle was much more polished.

Imagine Coker taking the same hit. The defender would have still achieved a sack, but there would have been more of a recoil from Coker, who would have gotten up and shaked off. I think Coker will succeed at the next level. I am no scout, but pretty accurate on QB's. I predicted AJ would would end up staying his senior year and be a late 2nd round pick during his junior year against the majority. I never thought Croyle (body type), Watson, or GMAC had the package. Coker does.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You're not wrong, Coker is everything NFL coaches look for physically in a QB. It is a matter of him becoming a better technician at the craft.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have wrestled and I have seen a lot of his film. My point is I would think the likelihood of him not getting hurt and making it through a 15 game schedule with most of those games being played in the SEC would be much better if he put on more weight. I would think Saban, Kiffin and Cochran would agree but I may be wrong.
I'm not sure how much weight he can put on. Even though Brodie didn't try, he couldn't have put on much weight, had he tried. Barnett's biceps show the vein, which tells me he is serious about resistance training. I think he's just fine-boned...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
You're not wrong, Coker is everything NFL coaches look for physically in a QB. It is a matter of him becoming a better technician at the craft.
Aside from prototype size and arm strength, he is full of natural testosterone, he is a man, humble and easy to like, and the biggest is his improvement to zero interceptions in his last 5 games and above 70% completion percentage at the tail end, in front of millions of people. Someone is going to get him in the fourth. I would.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I'm not sure how much weight he can put on. Even though Brodie didn't try, he couldn't have put on much weight, had he tried. Barnett's biceps show the vein, which tells me he is serious about resistance training. I think he's just fine-boned...
I agree, I think Watson is too. And muscle is not the same in everyone as I learned when wrestling in High School. Watching Barnett out run quality DB's and bounce off buffed lb's suggests that he has a stronger body than most of his weight. Surviving the scout team is a good sign that the kid is robust.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I think Barnett is the QB next year as long as Kiffin stays. He has superior physical tools compared to Bateman. Cornwell is the wild card because he has all the physical tools also but for whatever reason has not been able to put it all together on the field. Hurts is as talented as they come but there's no way CNS is going to start a true freshman at QB. He's never done it before and I don't see him doing it this year..
I am not saying Cornwell will win the job or anything but everyone always says he cant put it together or has not put it together....He was only a RSFR and soon to be a Soph.....not sure how that is not putting it together......I know he apparently had some issues, but he has time to get it together either at Bama or somewhere else.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
but he has time to get it together either at Bama or somewhere else.
For the good of all quarterbacks, I hope we have some sort of 1,2,3 after spring. We have 4 blue chips now with Hurts. If is is Barnett, I expect someone to move on. Someone will never play that was a top 10 QB recruit.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Croyle, playing under CNS, would likely have been more durable - had he been able to stay on the team. His work ethic was less than impressive, but his coaching staff while at Bama wasn't one that emphasized that...

Barnett will be fine, imo - he appears to have the work ethic to maximize his talent.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It seems every young QB who has stepped on campus looking like a bean stalk is compared to Croyle. But Croyle didn't even play his whole HS senior season due to an injury. He was beaten into a pulp in his first season as a starter, got knocked out for the rest of the season by no contact at all in his second season as a starter, and was somehow just about the only major offensive piece not to get hurt as a Senior. He was a guy who had an injury history in a program that seemed to have a problem with players getting injured.

I'm not sure what gives me that feeling: was it really that the injuries were more common or simply that we didn't have the depth to weather it. Talent on the OL made it tough on the QB at either rate. Croyle and Wilson got their butts kicked behind those blockers. The fact Wilson didn't miss a start in his career despite enduring the 2006 and 2007 OLs is a testament to just how tough Wilson was for a QB. I think in 2004 that we got to a point where our only two healthy tailbacks were the two fullbacks...at some point in the season at least. In a period of a few weeks early in that 2004 season we went from a team that seemed to have an up and coming backfield combination to a team just trying to find a backfield that wouldn't straight up cost us games.

I guess I'm basically agreeing with crimsonaudio in so many words. Injuries were a big problem during the Shula era. At least partially to blame on Shula's more hands off NFL mindset to off-season condition. If Shula got a chance to do it over, I doubt he'd make the same mistakes or just stay away from the college game altogether. I think he's one of those guys who likes the coaching but not the 365 day grind college coaches put themselves through.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It seems every young QB who has stepped on campus looking like a bean stalk is compared to Croyle. But Croyle didn't even play his whole HS senior season due to an injury. He was beaten into a pulp in his first season as a starter, got knocked out for the rest of the season by no contact at all in his second season as a starter, and was somehow just about the only major offensive piece not to get hurt as a Senior. He was a guy who had an injury history in a program that seemed to have a problem with players getting injured.

I'm not sure what gives me that feeling: was it really that the injuries were more common or simply that we didn't have the depth to weather it. Talent on the OL made it tough on the QB at either rate. Croyle and Wilson got their butts kicked behind those blockers. The fact Wilson didn't miss a start in his career despite enduring the 2006 and 2007 OLs is a testament to just how tough Wilson was for a QB. I think in 2004 that we got to a point where our only two healthy tailbacks were the two fullbacks...at some point in the season at least. In a period of a few weeks early in that 2004 season we went from a team that seemed to have an up and coming backfield combination to a team just trying to find a backfield that wouldn't straight up cost us games.

I guess I'm basically agreeing with crimsonaudio in so many words. Injuries were a big problem during the Shula era. At least partially to blame on Shula's more hands off NFL mindset to off-season condition. If Shula got a chance to do it over, I doubt he'd make the same mistakes or just stay away from the college game altogether. I think he's one of those guys who likes the coaching but not the 365 day grind college coaches put themselves through.
The lack of conditioning carried straight from the Dubose regime over into Shula. In neither was there any real attempt from the top down to enforce a S&C regimen. During Dubose, I was down on campus for a basketball game with a friend who was a lot more into knowing the minutiae about each player than I. Outside Coleman, there was a kid selling tickets to the upcoming football game. He was a bit over 6', had thinnish shoulders and the beginning of a pot. As we walked on past, my friend asked me if I knew who he was. When I said "no," he told me it was our starting RT. The kid didn't really even look like a FB player. However, that didn't equal what happened during the Whitworth regime. There was a kid in my accounting class who'd played HS football in the B'ham area. An assistant came and yanked him out of class for practice and the next weekend, he played!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Blake has the potential, now we need to see if we can bring it out on the field.
OTHERWISE
Another of our guys will step up, develop and start for us...

My opinion matters not, but I'd say BB has a 50/50 chance of winning the job.
IMO: BB and CB are the front runners... We will see what Spring practice shows.

If BB is as good running our offense as he was running the opposing teams offense, he may be a serious contender to start.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Croyle, playing under CNS, would likely have been more durable - had he been able to stay on the team. His work ethic was less than impressive, but his coaching staff while at Bama wasn't one that emphasized that...

Barnett will be fine, imo - he appears to have the work ethic to maximize his talent.
Brody seldom if ever went to the weight room. When the coach let him slide others said if he won't do it I won't either. IMO: That was one of the choke points on when Shula lost the team.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
If we are looking at utilizing DT QBs and plan on incorporating more QB runs in the offense, we will need more than one backup to get playing time and be ready to go. I think we stay w/what got us here re: offense but will have QB runs as something we can go to a few times a game. Otherwise, we pound the rock and go PA pass to perhaps the best group of receivers in the game.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
the vein just shows he's lean and is totally different from putting on muscle. Due to switching to more endurance sports, I went several years without touching a weight or doing resistance training, but because I was doing so much endurance work, I had veins everywhere even though I lost of ton of muscle mass and upper body strength. Low body fat doesn't always equate to strong and muscular.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If we are looking at utilizing DT QBs and plan on incorporating more QB runs in the offense, we will need more than one backup to get playing time and be ready to go. I think we stay w/what got us here re: offense but will have QB runs as something we can go to a few times a game. Otherwise, we pound the rock and go PA pass to perhaps the best group of receivers in the game.
If BB is our qb, I think our offense will look similar to when Blake Sims was running our O. There were isolated, designed runs, but nothing to the extent of putting him at risk 15-20 times a game to get hit.

CNS and CLK will be smart with him and teach him to avoid the big shots, when at all possible.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
the vein just shows he's lean and is totally different from putting on muscle. Due to switching to more endurance sports, I went several years without touching a weight or doing resistance training, but because I was doing so much endurance work, I had veins everywhere even though I lost of ton of muscle mass and upper body strength. Low body fat doesn't always equate to strong and muscular.
I have veins everywhere also. You just can't see them for the wrinkles.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.