News Article: Why Alabama is Encouraged About Future of QB Blake Barnett

WKURainwater

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2009
Donelson, TN
Nothing whatsoever against Blake, because I think he will be a great quarterback, but I would love to see Cornwell slinging deep passes to Calvin, OJ and Company. Then again, I've always preferred drop back passers.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Nothing whatsoever against Blake, because I think he will be a great quarterback, but I would love to see Cornwell slinging deep passes to Calvin, OJ and Company. Then again, I've always preferred drop back passers.
ESPN had him rated as the #1 Pocket Passing Quarterback from his class. I know Rivals has him rated as a dual threat, imo, his arm is more Cornwell than Bateman, he just happens to be to be able to run. His senior year he passed for 3400 yards and ran for 479 yards.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
ESPN had him rated as the #1 Pocket Passing Quarterback from his class. I know Rivals has him rated as a dual threat, imo, his arm is more Cornwell than Bateman, he just happens to be to be able to run. His senior year he passed for 3400 yards and ran for 479 yards.
Was just going to clarify that as well. Had also heard from a source (someone can validate or correct me) that after his junior year he had been categorized as a dual-threat QB and that moniker kind of irked him because that tag comes with QB's who aren't very good drop back passers; so he worked on his pocket presence for his senior year to change the categorization and ESPN did eventually rate him the #1 pocket passer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Was just going to clarify that as well. Had also heard from a source (someone can validate or correct me) that after his junior year he had been categorized as a dual-threat QB and that moniker kind of irked him because that tag comes with QB's who aren't very good drop back passers; so he worked on his pocket presence for his senior year to change the categorization and ESPN did eventually rate him the #1 pocket passer.
This. Blake said numerous times he prefers to be a drop back passer but can run when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Thanks for that info. I don't really want our quarterback running for 1000 yards, Blake passed for 3400 and ran for 350, and Coker 3100 and ran for 68. It should always be arm first, then run when you can, a few read options. It's hard to believe that Brodie set our passing record in a season with 2400 just 10 years ago and we hit 3000 like clock now. Whoever gets the spot will have an unbelievable receiving core. Ridley, Stewart and Foster all possess NFL talent. I just want to get those guys the ball, and let Bo do the running.

Edit: OJ!

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I hope y'all don't mind me putting this AL.com article about who starts at QB for both The Tide & The Barn instead of beginning another separate thread about QB's..

I was wondering what had happened to Cornwell & didn't know he fell out of favor according to this article(whatever that means???)..I really hope Cornwell gets his act together & becomes a force in the QB battle this spring, cause he's got the size & measurable's to be a really really good college QB, at 6-5 220lbs+ & fits the mold of the Pro Style QB at Bama..

What do y'all think about Cornwell & his chances of winning the QB starting job for us this coming season..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I think Cornwell is the only one capable of beating out Barnett, but I still don't see it happening.
One thing to keep in mind: Kiffin clearly preferred Bateman during the first part of the season but was overruled. I don't think we can say at this point that the Bateman Era has closed for good.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
One thing to keep in mind: Kiffin clearly preferred Bateman during the first part of the season but was overruled. I don't think we can say at this point that the Bateman Era has closed for good.
Very true, but maybe he loved Bateman so much because he knew a true freshman 18 year old didn't have a chance at starting. With more than a year under his belt in the system and weight room, Barnett may be primed and ready.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
If Blake Barnett runs for 1,000 yds., we best have a back up QB ready. I doubt he would last the season once the SEC defenses put a few licks on his knees. Everyone knows that white boys can't run.

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012
His weight doesn't really matter... I think he'll be okay playing at his weight now.
its a matter of physics. if a 250 lb defensive end or lb hits a 240 lb qb like coker, the actual felt impact force is spread out nearly evenly between the 2 players. If the same de or lb hits a 205lb qb, the lighter player experiences a greater impact proportionate to the difference in mass. Same player is literally hitting the lighter guy harder for a given speed

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If Blake Barnett runs for 1,000 yds., we best have a back up QB ready. I doubt he would last the season once the SEC defenses put a few licks on his knees. Everyone knows that white boys can't run.
Since he was a 3400 to 400 pass to run in HS, I bet we will not make him a true dual threat, the closest would be like Blake Sims. The kicker is that he might be a hybrid of Sims and Coker, which would be dangerous. He is capable of taking it 60 yards on the ground, to my eyes his speed seems to be like an OJ Howard in the open.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Croyle, playing under CNS, would likely have been more durable - had he been able to stay on the team. His work ethic was less than impressive, but his coaching staff while at Bama wasn't one that emphasized that...

Barnett will be fine, imo - he appears to have the work ethic to maximize his talent.
Agreed. One of the most clueless staffs we've ever had here, especially on O. Absent Ty Prothro, I think Dave Rader's offenses were some of the worst I've ever seen.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think CLK and CNS are the other way around in terms of CB. CB and AM were the two qbs that were more game managers and Coker and Cornwell were more potential game breakers that CLK prefers. I think the two reasons that the debate lasted as long as it did was that Cornwell fell off the map and Coker wasnt taking the bull by the horns in CNS's eyes.

As for cooper's chances, I think it will all depend on it BB is as great as people say, but I think we will probably know a lot sooner or who the man is.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think CLK and CNS are the other way around in terms of CB. CB and AM were the two qbs that were more game managers and Coker and Cornwell were more potential game breakers that CLK prefers. I think the two reasons that the debate lasted as long as it did was that Cornwell fell off the map and Coker wasnt taking the bull by the horns in CNS's eyes.

As for cooper's chances, I think it will all depend on it BB is as great as people say, but I think we will probably know a lot sooner or who the man is.
Well, Kiffin was the one who recruited BB. I think the opinion to RS him was pretty much unanimous. All you had to do was to look at him...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm not sure you can say Coker had more game breaking potential than Bateman.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Deshaun Watson 6'2", 210 lbs

Blake Barnett 6'5", 210 lbs

Hmmmm, I don't really see a problem in Blake's weight. He will contiue to develop under CSC and will fill out just fine. The negative naysayers need to chill out.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
I'm still concerned about Barnett - did anyone ever find out why he needed those blood transfusions a few months ago? This is not typical for an 18 year old - and caused me to think there may be something really wrong with him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.