News Article: Why Alabama is Encouraged About Future of QB Blake Barnett

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm still concerned about Barnett - did anyone ever find out why he needed those blood transfusions a few months ago? This is not typical for an 18 year old - and caused me to think there may be something really wrong with him.
If he has a serious medical condition, it might be from having run our scout team this year and getting lit up by our DL and LBs.

Seriously, whatever it was they must have got him fixed up because he apparently has done well in practices against our starting D running scout. That tells me all I really need to know about him, especially when Reggie Ragland has high praise!

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Deshaun Watson 6'2", 210 lbs

Blake Barnett 6'5", 210 lbs

Hmmmm, I don't really see a problem in Blake's weight. He will contiue to develop under CSC and will fill out just fine. The negative naysayers need to chill out.
Its a matter of physics. if a 250lb linebacker hits a 240 lb QB like coker, the actual felt impact force is spread out nearly evenly between the 2 players. If the same DE or LB hits a 205lb QB, the lighter player experiences a greater impact proportionate to the difference in mass. Same player is literally hitting the lighter guy harder for a given speed
Height makes a difference as well.

Also Deshaun Watson tore his ACL the previous season and has been prone to accruing some bumps and bruises. Weight matters BUT, I'm not worried about it with Barnett in Cochran's system.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Deshaun Watson 6'2", 210 lbs

Blake Barnett 6'5", 210 lbs

Hmmmm, I don't really see a problem in Blake's weight. He will contiue to develop under CSC and will fill out just fine. The negative naysayers need to chill out.
Well, like it or not, his weight/strength went into the decision to RS him, along with inexperience. I know that for a fact. I also don't worry about it downstream. I'm more concerned about the blood problem and its unknowns. There's more than just height and weight involved in body build. Side by side, Watson and BB look nothing alike...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Probably a good thing for everyone that he was red-shirted, even with the National Championship taken out of the picture. He had medical problems last year. His red-shirt assured that he would take the time necessary to get that sorted out properly.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Probably a good thing for everyone that he was red-shirted, even with the National Championship taken out of the picture. He had medical problems last year. His red-shirt assured that he would take the time necessary to get that sorted out properly.
If there`s anything to worry about, that`s it IMO. His physical stature at this point concerns me not a whit with CSC`s conditioning program and a good training table.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Deshaun Watson is built like the average punter and he made it through 15 games this season. And Clemson's offense manes he actually runs the ball.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not sure you can say Coker had more game breaking potential than Bateman.
I think it was obvious during the ole miss game that he did. Yeah you can make the argument that had cooper kept the ball we might've squeaked out a win, but Coker was far and away the better qb and a bigger part of why we won the title than some give him credit for.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the key for QB health is avoiding bad hits in the pocket. I've seen far more QBs get knocked out - even when they're runners - by taking a tough hit while trying to pass. The modern player safety rules really discourage the defensive mindset where a QB is a dead man if he starts running in the middle of the field. Also, the horizontal spread of modern offenses gets the big bodies away from the QB and create more lanes for a quick run and slide.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think it was obvious during the ole miss game that he did. Yeah you can make the argument that had cooper kept the ball we might've squeaked out a win, but Coker was far and away the better qb and a bigger part of why we won the title than some give him credit for.
You're using a guy in his first career start against a pretty good defense (Tony Conner was on the field for the game) in his third year of college football to compare to a guy in his fifth year of college football. Entering that game, Bateman had thrown passes in two games - Wisconsin and Middle Tennessee State. That's it.

Got to give more of a sample size than just than 39 passes.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You're right I still think the QB battle is probably Cooper Bateman v. Blake Barnett with Cornwell needing a great Spring to get himself in position to win it in the Fall. Bateman's experience is the edge right now.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Deshaun Watson is built like the average punter and he made it through 15 games this season. And Clemson's offense manes he actually runs the ball.

Just sayin'...
Genetics play huge role, bone and muscle types.
Some more of my Team Barnett footage from 2014 camps. Certainly after a year in the system, he's bigger. Hoping he is the JK Scott of quarterbacks!

And for anyone who wants to see Lane Kiffin briefly at 240 frames a second with cowboy music.
Coker and Barnett definitely have different throwing mechanics.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think the question is: Would you rather your freshman QB be 6' 5" and 205 lbs or would rather your freshman QB be 6' 5" and 220 lbs? I prefer he get in the weight room and eat more and gain weight so he can play at the higher weight so he does not take a pounding. Again, I know he can play at 205 lbs and do a good job but I know he and our team will be better off if he does add the weight.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That pic doesn't look "scrawny" to me. He's a lot thicker than BB. He's supposedly the same weight as BB, but I think heavier, and he's 3" shorter. Makes a difference...
I'm not arguing that Watson isn't a bit thicker, but he's not built much thicker than BB and he survived a beating this year. That's the point I was making above re: punter. Watson's just not a big guy, but he can take the abuse:

IOW, worrying about BB not being thick seems strange. Aside from Coker, none of our QB's have been big guys, yet they all took a pretty serious licking and kept on ticking.

Attachments

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The most important aspect of the position at Alabama, with the supporting cast, is to manage the offense and make the fewest mental errors. Normally that is an upperclassman, but after winning a NC, you might be willing to role the dies a little more. No telling.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think you can tell the difference in Blake and our other QB's. Most other QB's on the roster are at least 15 lbs heavier.

I can only wish he had the musculature of Watson. You can look at the two and see there's just no way BB could stand the beating Watson did. Croyle was basically a pocket passer and I held my breath every time he took off to run. If BB is going to survive a season, unless he can gain a lot of muscle, we'll have to use him much the way we used Coker and the other pocket passers...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.