News Article: Why Alabama is Encouraged About Future of QB Blake Barnett

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You're using a guy in his first career start against a pretty good defense (Tony Conner was on the field for the game) in his third year of college football to compare to a guy in his fifth year of college football. Entering that game, Bateman had thrown passes in two games - Wisconsin and Middle Tennessee State. That's it.

Got to give more of a sample size than just than 39 passes.
Ok, but you are trying to dispute who is more of a game breaker and who is more of a game manager. Going into the season everyone knew that Coker had incredible talent and could stretch the field the field with his arm strength, even his chronic doubters mentioned that. The biggest concerns for Coker were accuracy, decision making, and the potential sink hole effect. Coker was a potential game breaker with the home run ball but could also cost us the game if he threw too many picks.

But to the original post quoted: i was just questioning on the poster's evidence of why he thought CLK clearly preferring CB over any other qb in the first of the year. It seems that a high risk/ high reward qb is more of what CLK likes as long as he doesn't lose him games.

As for cooper's chances. I think they are as good as they were the last two years but I think it's going to be DC or BB.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I can only wish he had the musculature of Watson. You can look at the two and see there's just no way BB could stand the beating Watson did. Croyle was basically a pocket passer and I held my breath every time he took off to run. If BB is going to survive a season, unless he can gain a lot of muscle, we'll have to use him much the way we used Coker and the other pocket passers...
Tyler Watts? J P Wilson?

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
I did not know Coker had incredible talent. I don't buy that.
I'd be willing to bet that he has one of the strongest arms in college football.. In fact, he has all the measurables to be a starter in the NFL. It's his timing, decision making, and throwing motion that he has to work on a bit to be successful at the next level. But yeah, the dude does have incredible talent.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
BB can stretch the defense with his arm strength. I posted a video earlier this year of him the throwing the ball seventy yards while he was in high school, so the chance to threaten every part of the field is there. Bateman just didn't show that I his game snaps. He also didn't use his athleticism, which may be the difference between he and BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If BB has gone from 190 to 205 in the time he's been in the program with just being in last year's Fourth Quarter Program, he'll likely add another 10-15 lbs. going through this years FQP.

The way he runs, I doubt too many folks will get a bead on him save a shot from the blind side. Good thing he's got Big Cam to watch out for him.:wink:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
in-cred'i-ble, adj meaning so extraordinary as to seem impossible or unbelievable per Random House Webster. Not Coker.
Oh come on.. Quit doubting the man that just proved all of the doubters wrong. Just because everyone got suckered in the 1st year only to have eaten humble pie doesn't mean it wasn't true. I'll give you he isn't the best decision maker, but talent wise he was on up there.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Nothing brings more inconsistency in opinion than starting QB discussions. Blake needs some muscle mass, not just extra weight. I hope we have what we need to put a quality winner on the field at QB. It could make all the difference in the world now that Derrick Henry is gone.

We need another workhorse RB with breakaway ability to help with play action, picking up a blitzing LB/DB and hot route reads.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Oh come on.. Quit doubting the man that just proved all of the doubters wrong. Just because everyone got suckered in the 1st year only to have eaten humble pie doesn't mean it wasn't true. I'll give you he isn't the best decision maker, but talent wise he was on up there.
I admit I was one of the doubters but he played well this year and I am very happy for Coke, but to throw around words like "incredible talent" shows a lack of realistic observation.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I admit I was one of the doubters but he played well this year and I am very happy for Coke, but to throw around words like "incredible talent" shows a lack of realistic observation.
Well since you have dictionary handy you define it.Because it's kinda hard to say otherwise when his arm strength and mobility is better than AJ. He is also extremely physical for a qb. So again I'm not saying his accuracy and decision making is the greatest, I'm talking about his physical capabilities, and not

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I was going to post this another time, but since we are in full fledged dissection mode I'll post it. It's the full ESPN documentary they made of the Elite 11 2014 camp of which BB was the MVP. It's LONG, at 1hr and 12min, but it hilights Barnett AND a lot of the competition he will be facing in college football this season. The takeaways that I got from it are that he's a natural leader, very laid back and takes coaching and direction well....which I think bodes well for his ability to take care of the ball. He smoked Josh Rosen and that kid had a pretty stellar true freshman year as a starter for UCLA.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I understand the concern about the weight/build of BB but it's not like we are going to be running QB power dive plays. There will be some designed QB runs based on misdirection (zone read option) but the QB should only be running on those plays if there is an open lane. Also, when the QB does keep the ball on those plays it is up to the coaching staff to make sure BB understands to get down so he doesn't take a direct hit. I know that's probably easier said than done but I think that will be the idea with him running the ball. Of course there is the caveat that any player on the field, if hit just right, can sustain an injury regardless of how muscled up they are..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I understand the concern about the weight/build of BB but it's not like we are going to be running QB power dive plays. There will be some designed QB runs based on misdirection (zone read option) but the QB should only be running on those plays if there is an open lane. Also, when the QB does keep the ball on those plays it is up to the coaching staff to make sure BB understands to get down so he doesn't take a direct hit. I know that's probably easier said than done but I think that will be the idea with him running the ball. Of course there is the caveat that any player on the field, if hit just right, can sustain an injury regardless of how muscled up they are..
Agree. And to put it another way, just put the best qb out there. I don't care if BB is 190 lbs. like he was when he came to Bama, but if he's the best let him play.

Football is a contact sport so injuries can occur, but be smart and don't seek out contact (like Jake did a few times this past year).

But I'd always choose the best qb over the more muscular one every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.