News Article: Why Alabama is Encouraged About Future of QB Blake Barnett

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
His weight doesn't really matter... I think he'll be okay playing at his weight now.
His weight definitely matters for a Dual Threat QB! Coker took some big hits this year while running and if he had been 205lbs rather than 225lbs he might not have gotten up from a few. Sure, he'll lose a half a step of speed usually but he'll survive to play another down which is more important!

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I was going to post this another time, but since we are in full fledged dissection mode I'll post it. It's the full ESPN documentary they made of the Elite 11 2014 camp of which BB was the MVP. It's LONG, at 1hr and 12min, but it hilights Barnett AND a lot of the competition he will be facing in college football this season. The takeaways that I got from it are that he's a natural leader, very laid back and takes coaching and direction well....which I think bodes well for his ability to take care of the ball. He smoked Josh Rosen and that kid had a pretty stellar true freshman year as a starter for UCLA.

If I watched this video without bias of him signing with us, and just watching the interviews, I would believe BB had the attitude that best fit our program.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Agree. And to put it another way, just put the best qb out there. I don't care if BB is 190 lbs. like he was when he came to Bama, but if he's the best let him play.

Football is a contact sport so injuries can occur, but be smart and don't seek out contact (like Jake did a few times this past year).

But I'd always choose the best qb over the more muscular one every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
This discussion is not about your comment. We would all choose the best QB. The discussion is Blake needs to gain some weight so he does not get hurt when a Jonathan Allen/Reuben Foster type hits him with a full steam ahead running start or blindside tackle. Putting him out there at 190 lbs would have been suicide, you need to think about the player.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This discussion is not about your comment. We would all choose the best QB. The discussion is Blake needs to gain some weight so he does not get hurt when a Jonathan Allen/Reuben Foster type hits him with a full steam ahead running start or blindside tackle. Putting him out there at 190 lbs would have been suicide, you need to think about the player.
They did just did that to him scout team for the Bowl games. Full contact. Maybe he can sign a waiver that he will not hold the University responsible? If he is the best, play em, if he gets hurt, put in the next capable guy, the chances of him having a career ending injury by being slim is slim.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They did just did that to him scout team for the Bowl games. Full contact.
That's partly true. He wore the no contact jersey, but the defense would still give a few shots here and there.

Maybe he can sign a waiver that he will not hold the University responsible? If he is the best, play em, if he gets hurt, put in the next capable guy, the chances of him having a career ending injury by being slim is slim.
Of course, you have a backup for a reason, but why risk it if the offense changes depending on who the QB is? Do we think BB6 runs the same offense as Coker? Most likely not.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I imagine it will look more like 2014 but I hope we do keep the enhancements in the run game calls from 2015 around.

The Power O + Jet Sweep Counter is a nice little play. We diversified between zone and man concepts more this year. If we can combine that with a QB runner, this offense will be highly flammable.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
They did just did that to him scout team for the Bowl games. Full contact. Maybe he can sign a waiver that he will not hold the University responsible? If he is the best, play em, if he gets hurt, put in the next capable guy, the chances of him having a career ending injury by being slim is slim.
Again, not the point. The point is it would be best for Blake, the Alabama football team and us fans (and more importantly Blake's mom/dad/girlfriend) if Blake gained weight so he could take the punishment he is going to receive and can play a full season if he wins the job. I'm not sure how I can explain it any clearer and I'm not sure why you and a couple of others continue to argue play the best player thing. We don't even know yet if Blake is the best. I'm not making this comment about Bateman or Cornwell since they don't need the weight gain IMO.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Again, not the point. The point is it would be best for Blake, the Alabama football team and us fans (and more importantly Blake's mom/dad/girlfriend) if Blake gained weight so he could take the punishment he is going to receive and can play a full season if he wins the job. I'm not sure how I can explain it any clearer and I'm not sure why you and a couple of others continue to argue play the best player thing. We don't even know yet if Blake is the best. I'm not making this comment about Bateman or Cornwell since they don't need the weight gain IMO.
So what are we talking about then?

Is it not that there are reasons to be excited about Blake Barnett?

Has he not gained some weight?

If he turns out to be the best qb, through competition, do we not want him to start because he's skinny?

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
My concern is injury vs the possibility of losing him period. He will either give way to a sophomore or a Junior. Both are hypothetical but if we are talking about an elite QB, that should be a concern. I think he will be robust enough, imo.

We should shelf this until the spring or fall and see if he is robust imo. Or at least me, too much not known.

If he is the best QB, but is skinny, start him, I am sticking with that until more is known.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That is encouraging. I know he has gained 15 lbs since arriving but sure would like to see him put on another 15 lbs. Playing at 6' 5" and 205 lbs and running the ball does not bode well in the SEC. I'm sure Cochran will have him ready.
To answer you BamaMoon, I made this comment on page 1 of this thread and some posted his weight really does not matter and play the best player no matter what he weighs comments. I have been basing all my comments on it would be best if Blake gained weight so he could take the pounding. You have been saying play the best player and if that is at 190 lbs so be it and I really, really don't agree with that at all and think it is not in the best interest of everyone involved.

I agree with you that if he is the best play him but would prefer it if he weighed more ........ I also think Blake will be around 215 like rgw states above when summer practice begins.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
To answer you BamaMoon, I made this comment on page 1 of this thread and some posted his weight really does not matter and play the best player no matter what he weighs comments. I have been basing all my comments on it would be best if Blake gained weight so he could take the pounding. You have been saying play the best player and if that is at 190 lbs so be it and I really, really don't agree with that at all and think it is not in the best interest of everyone involved.

I agree with you that if he is the best play him but would prefer it if he weighed more ........ I also think Blake will be around 215 like rgw states above when summer practice begins.
There's no question it's in his best interest to gain some weight, which he has done. I never said it's not important, just not the most important thing.

FWIW, I imagine he'll eventually get up to around 215-225 in time.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
There's no question it's in his best interest to gain some weight, which he has done. I never said it's not important, just not the most important thing.

FWIW, I imagine he'll eventually get up to around 215-225 in time.
Barnett was hospitalized fairly recently which probably held him back in the strength program this year.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Here we are at Spring and Barnett looks very thin and Bateman is running 40's on par with Blake. I am starting to think that maybe Bateman might get the nod. Possible another Tyler Watts if the offense is tweaked with a little option. He looks too tall and thin but if you watch his HS, he was never injured and was a great runner. He has gotten a little stronger, but it does not appear to be a huge amount. We will see at the A-Day game. I think it is Barnett vs Bateman.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Here we are at Spring and Barnett looks very thin and Bateman is running 40's on par with Blake. I am starting to think that maybe Bateman might get the nod. Possible another Tyler Watts if the offense is tweaked with a little option. He looks too tall and thin but if you watch his HS, he was never injured and was a great runner. He has gotten a little stronger, but it does not appear to be a huge amount. We will see at the A-Day game. I think it is Barnett vs Bateman.
Don't know what you basing that on, but I don't think we'll know until the offense runs out on the field against USC for the first time.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Don't know what you basing that on, but I don't think we'll know until the offense runs out on the field against USC for the first time.
.I have been the most pro Barnett guy on the board, even posting his complete elite 11 camp MVP show. We have been having a debate, especially among a prominent moderator, if he would be able to put on the weight for this season. Is is not looking like it.

Then we had a debate, do we play him anyway, and I have been in the "Yes" camp, even if he is underweight.

I have gone as far as to say, better to play em than to lose him. You have to consider that he was the #1 rated player by many, after all was said and done after his senior season. But he he has gained only 10lbs in a year? That is a cause for concern, I am sorry. He looks like a Pencil.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
.I have been the most pro Barnett guy on the board, even posting his complete elite 11 camp MVP show. We have been having a debate, especially among a prominent moderator, if he would be able to put on the weight for this season. Is is not looking like it.

Then we had a debate, do we play him anyway, and I have been in the "Yes" camp, even if he is underweight.

I have gone as far as to say, better to play em than to lose him. You have to consider that he was the #1 rated player by many, after all was said and done after his senior season. But he he has gained only 10lbs in a year? That is a cause for concern, I am sorry. He looks like a Pencil.
I read back through the last page or two and refreshed myself about the earlier discussions about his weight.

As most on here, I think it's in his best interest to gain some weight, but I still think if he wins the compitition in spring and into the fall, he should play no matter his weight. Play the best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.