News Article: Why Alabama is Encouraged About Future of QB Blake Barnett

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Blake Barnett broke through the middle of Alabama's defense and was off running.

It was only practice. But it was against the Tide's starting defense, the same unit that finished the season ranked third-best nationally and held 13 of Alabama's 15 opponents to 17 offensive points or less.

"He kind of showed some of the speed that he has," fellow redshirt freshman Deionte Thompson said of Barnett, whom ESPN ranked as the top dual-threat quarterback and 14th-best overall prospect in last year's recruiting class. "I was just like, 'Wow.' Not too many quarterbacks do that against our defense. I know it's practice. But still, that he was able to do that, that was pretty impressive."

Serving as a scout team quarterback, Barnett had periodic eye-catching moments like that in practice throughout the year against Alabama's first-team defense despite working with mostly fellow freshmen and walk-ons, enough that Tide All-American linebacker Reggie Ragland said the California native is "going to be a monster."

"Once he learns everything and gets stronger and all that stuff and does the things he has to do, he's going to be a monster in college football," Ragland said of Barnett, who will be among the players competing to replace departing senior Jake Coker as Alabama's starting quarterback.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think Barnett is the QB next year as long as Kiffin stays. He has superior physical tools compared to Bateman. Cornwell is the wild card because he has all the physical tools also but for whatever reason has not been able to put it all together on the field. Hurts is as talented as they come but there's no way CNS is going to start a true freshman at QB. He's never done it before and I don't see him doing it this year..

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I would think if he wants to play 15 games his weight matters (see Brodie Croyle).
\
.He is one of those types that is stronger than he looks. If you have ever wrestled you know what I am talking about, two people that look the same but one of them just has stronger muscle fiber or something. He is not built like Brodie Croyle, he is strong, fast and can take punishment. Watch his film and you will see.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We've always seemed to end up with the most veteran quarterback when the job is open but I do believe Barnett's pure skills and the fact Kiffin sort of handpicked the guy really helps the odds that the script gets flipped.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
That is exciting news. From what I've read about Blake he has a take charge attitude and will be relentless to win the starting job. This kid might grow into the best we've had at Bama.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
\
.He is one of those types that is stronger than he looks. If you have ever wrestled you know what I am talking about, two people that look the same but one of them just has stronger muscle fiber or something. He is not built like Brodie Croyle, he is strong, fast and can take punishment. Watch his film and you will see.
I have wrestled and I have seen a lot of his film. My point is I would think the likelihood of him not getting hurt and making it through a 15 game schedule with most of those games being played in the SEC would be much better if he put on more weight. I would think Saban, Kiffin and Cochran would agree but I may be wrong.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
...and poor protection.
I think he was injury prone no matter what, he had thin bones or something.

Coming off of a NC is the perfect time to start a redshirt Freshman at quarterback if his ceiling and skills are obviously higher than the rest.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Croyle is different. He was prone to getting hurt anyway.
OK, Croyle was different and Blake is not injury prone (not sure how we know that at this point?). But going back to my original point, I think, again, think but not sure based on some comments, we would all want Blake to gain some weight so he would be less prone to injury and have greater endurance.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
And with Jalen Hurt coming in with this coming recruiting class, our QB position battles will be fun too watch, Jalen is the most pure "Dual Threat" QB we've ever signed..Jalen's videos reminds me of Deshaun Watson coming out of high school cause of the excellent touch he has passing the ball..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
OK, Croyle was different and Blake is not injury prone (not sure how we know that at this point?). But going back to my original point, I think, again, think but not sure, based on some comments we would all want Blake to gain some weight so he would be less prone to injury and have greater endurance.

I totally get what you are saying, and I'm not saying you are wrong or anything like that. My point was that, it's a different era for the game, and game has changed so much since then, and to be honest with you, if he gained 20lbs, he would probably end up losing some of his speed. Remember, our defense shed few pounds last year just so they can stay on field longer and another one of my point is that some of our wide receivers a re in 180s 190s and they held up okay.

Watson is 210ish, Cook is 218ish, Kelly (Ole miss) 209ish, Brandon Allen is 216ish, Dan Prescott is 230ish. Josh Rosen is 210, Josh Dobbs was 190ish and they all played okay. I'm afraid that if Barrnett gains 10-20 pounds, he won't have that speed, and he'll feel slugglish and etc. If he can hold up well against the 1st team defense all year long considering that Kirby said they were going after Blake hard in every practice and he came out okay.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I totally get what you are saying, and I'm not saying you are wrong or anything like that. My point was that, it's a different era for the game, and game has changed so much since then, and to be honest with you, if he gained 20lbs, he would probably end up losing some of his speed. Remember, our defense shed few pounds last year just so they can stay on field longer and another one of my point is that some of our wide receivers a re in 180s 190s and they held up okay.

Watson is 210ish, Cook is 218ish, Kelly (Ole miss) 209ish, Brandon Allen is 216ish, Dan Prescott is 230ish. Josh Rosen is 210, Josh Dobbs was 190ish and they all played okay. I'm afraid that if Barrnett gains 10-20 pounds, he won't have that speed, and he'll feel slugglish and etc. If he can hold up well against the 1st team defense all year long considering that Kirby said they were going after Blake hard in every practice and he came out okay.
I see what you are saying also now you have clarified your point. The only counter I will have is that Blake is 6' 5" and those other guys are 2"-4" shorter and I think Blake still has tons of muscle mass he can add that will not slow him down and may possibly make him faster. But the main point is the safety factor and he will have more padding at the higher weight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.