CFP is old and outdated already

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I don't really care who is on the committee. But they need to get one of those Hardee's spokes models to do the ESPN show each week re: results.

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
The message I took from the article was: If we had more young people that like fast paced offenses and lots of scoring, we can keep Alabama out of it. I'm sick of them winning it all of the time. Crying. Tears. More tears.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
If diversity is going to be implemented I want the committee to include a Southern Redneck.
There is no doubt we know more about and take our football more seriously than other fans.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If diversity is going to be implemented I want the committee to include a Southern Redneck.
There is no doubt we know more about and take our football more seriously than other fans.
Jeff Foxworthy. When all the games are at halftime or on commercial break Foxworthy can tell the committee "you know you are a redneck when" jokes.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Which means there’s no reason the group picking the playoff should be as male, old, white and philosophically ancient as it has been and will be again.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ittee-makeup-composition-membership/79121006/

There are two sides to every argument but I really don't see the point. Are we wanting 1 old man, 1 middle aged man and 1 young man. Ditto for women. That would be six. Mix in some red, yellow, black and white among those six. Then we need a Baptist and Catholic (for the Baylors and Notre Dames). Stanford and Notrhwestern need a genius while Wisconsin needs a Dairy farmer. Have I left anyone out? :rolleyes:

The original idea was to have well known and respected committee and now we want to shut our eyes and make it a cross section of society? Strange.
James G. Watts Secretary of the Interior once proudly declared "I have a black, a woman, two Jews and a cripple. And we have talent." He resigned 3 weeks later.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Constant articles on national sport periodicals as to why everyone shouldn't like us / how to level the playing field.

#bamafanproblems

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Typical Wolken article. Saying he is a idiot is an understatement. My late uncle use to have a response for people like Wolken when they would go on some rant that was mostly about "Look at a me. See how smart I am".

He would look them in the eye and say "Obviously you have me confused with someone that truly gives a crap about your opinion....."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This person's argument is stupid...Let me be clear - when diversity becomes more important than ability, the integrity of whatever you are operating suffers. The best candidates have to be considered for every position. To even think otherwise insults everyone involved.
BIG, I agree 100% that identity should be left out of any discussion in favor of skill and knowledge. But, my friend, that bus left the station a long time ago. And yes, the operating integrity of just about any organization you could name has suffered while better qualified people with the wrong appearance sit on the sideline.

...I don't think anyone should stand in the way of diversity when the best candidates for the job would fulfill that requirement. But making a committee diverse for it's own sake is the sort of self aggrandization that is better suited to something like...well...the Oscars. This committee has a real task on their hands and I would want WHOEVER is best for the job.
Agreed. But if you think a bunch of people wouldn't do that exact thing, with the full support of all the talking heads and ink-stained wretches (what few of those that are left, anyway), I've got a cool bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

I think the committee should be: Tony Dungy, Norm Chow, Roger Staubach, Barry Switzer, Billie Jean King, Michael Sam, Sean Penn, ESPN's Linda Cohn, and Will Smith.
I'd love to see the first four there. And I wonder if Vegas would set a couple of over/unders on (1) how long before Barry Switzer punched Sean Penn's lights out, and (2) how long before Will Smith delegated his vote to the most amazing, intelligent, perceptive and wise person ever to walk the face of the earth -- his son Jayden.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
How about that fountain of football knowledge Heather Dinisch from ESPN?

I think Wolken was one of the mental midgets that proclaimed Alabama was washed up and the dynasty was dead. Maybe Coach Saban should invite him to the parade tomorrow.

Last edited:

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
This person's argument is stupid. This year the top 4 teams were easy to select. Only the order was subject to debate. Last year, that was simply not the case. There were 3 teams worthy of the 4th spot, and Ohio State got that spot because the people making the selections were football people. They understood the game and recognized the difference between the 3 teams. Next year could be even more complicated.

But this person believes that the job is so simple that we should put random people into the committee just for the sake of diversity. Let me be clear - when diversity becomes more important than ability, the integrity of whatever you are operating suffers. The best candidates have to be considered for every position. To even think otherwise insults everyone involved.
Best line ever concerning diversity and it applies to every facet of life. Too bad most of America does not realize this.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Could it be......the college football world has tried so many times to find a way to keep Bama from winning so often.....Back to the drawing board and keep on trying. The cream will still rise to the top.

Roll Tide Roll!!!!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I agree with #JiveWolken. Get rid of the committee and let Larry Culpepper pick the teams. Also rename it from "College Football Playoff" to "Nick Saban's Post Season Dance Party"......

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Clicked to read it. Then I saw it was Dan Wolken. Immediately hit the "back button." Don't want to waste minutes of my life reading his garbage.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.