Link: Bruce Arians coaching philosophy comes from Coach Bryant

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
The great thing I see carrying over from Coach Bryant's philosophy is a sort of loyalty-anti-ageism platform - average age of Arians' Arizona staff is about 78 years old!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
In addition to briefly coaching under Bryant, I also recall that he had a second tour of duty here and was fired by Dubose after the disaster season of 1997. Either he has come a long way since then, or was surrounded by total incompetence at the time--or maybe both. In any case, he has ended up having a very nice career at the pro level.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'll be pulling for the Cardinals on Sunday.

Thanks for posting. Coach Bryant was a MAN among men.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
In addition to briefly coaching under Bryant, I also recall that he had a second tour of duty here and was fired by Dubose after the disaster season of 1997. Either he has come a long way since then, or was surrounded by total incompetence at the time--or maybe both. In any case, he has ended up having a very nice career at the pro level.
Give the man a cigar!!!!

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
Coach Bryant wouldn't have called that swing pass in the Iron Bowl.

Me hold a grudge? Why do you ask?
I was watching the playoffs with my 13 y.o. son, and the cameras zoomed in on Arians. I said, "Son, that man's playcalling cost Bama an Iron Bowl. Should have ran the ball up the middle on 3rd down and punted. Never forget that."

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think a combination of both. He was destined to be a good NFL OC until HC Chuck Pagano of the Colts got cancer and Arians took over and they won 13 games and won their division. The Cardinals hired him as their HC at the end of that season and he has done a great job w/ the Cards. Ironically, he is considered one of the best play callers in the NFL.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Great read. Only a Dubose type would have fired Arians over one play call. If you go back and look, it was the execution, not the call. Dubose fired one of the best NFL head coaches today, crazy.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Great read. Only a Dubose type would have fired Arians over one play call. If you go back and look, it was the execution, not the call. Dubose fired one of the best NFL head coaches today, crazy.
Regardless of execution, it was not a smart call. 3rd and medium inside your own territory, with ~2 minutes left, and your defense is playing lights out. The smart thing is to call a running play, and if you don't get it, punt and pin them deep.

However, if you simply must get clever in that situation, you don't line up in an obvious pass formation to tip your hand.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He was surrounded by total incompetence.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I was a student during that time period. That staff was horrible. I'm still amazed that we won the SEC in 99. Arians being fired by DuBose was the best thing to happen to him. He made out better than anyone on that staff.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Regardless of execution, it was not a smart call. 3rd and medium inside your own territory, with ~2 minutes left, and your defense is playing lights out. The smart thing is to call a running play, and if you don't get it, punt and pin them deep.

However, if you simply must get clever in that situation, you don't line up in an obvious pass formation to tip your hand.

Kitchens did a 360 to pass the ball, it was poor execution but have never examined that it was obvious, but I take your word for it. It would probably be the last play they think we would call if disguised. And the play was probably better suited for the NFL than college. Regardless, I fault Dubose for not seeing potential in Arians, and basically canning him for one play. He was a scapegoat imo and I am very happy for his success.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Some Alabama fans, unfortunately, have an unhealthy obsession with Auburn. It's sad, but if they talk about the issue long enough it's usually a father-in-law, or co-worker or something that gets under their skin. It is like some of the crazy has worn off on them.

The idea that a good... heck may be a great coach could have been fired over one play is ridiculous, but just another example of how that stupid game does nothing at all positive for Alabama. It gives lifeblood to Auburn and it allows Alabama fans to behave a bit more like Auburn fans. It's just sad.

We now know AG could have made that kick in the Iron Bowl. Yet, in a slightly different world a coach gets fired for something like that. Some people are just really shortsighted and frankly, ignorant. Every time that Arians comes up, there's always someone who seems to think he was justifiably fired because of one play. May be he deserved to be fired, but it darn sure wasn't because of one play.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Players make plays. Players do not make plays.

When they do, coach is a genius. When they do not, coach is a goat.
Agree. You can't always play it safe and win. Clemson could have caught the onside kick and ran it for a TD if it was not properly executed and everyone would screamed we should have done the obvious. Sometimes doing the the opposite of obvious makes for a great play, and if that screen pass didn't take 5 seconds to launch probably would have resulted in long gain. I lay the blame with the dysfunction of the system, not that call. The OJ Howard pass was how its executed.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.