Odds on Bama Starting QB Next Year - Post Yours and Reason Why

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
About his release, few guys as slight as he don't need some windup. A few can - Namath comes to mind, although he was bigger than BB - but it's hard to beat muscle mass. I was watching Cam throw the ball yesterday, looking like he was tossing a potato, and I though about the 250lb and 6'6" behind it. I don't think I've seen anyone throw a ball like that since Jamarcus...
Now that's a good point. Half of the guys in the NFL have different throwing motions, some are ugly, some are weird, some is different.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Now that's a good point. Half of the guys in the NFL have different throwing motions, some are ugly, some are weird, some is different.
Watching an analyst (former NFL QB - don't remember which one) during the East-West Shrine game this weekend, and he said the same thing. Throwing motions don't matter nearly as much as fans think. The ability to see the entire field, make fast decisions, and get the ball out of your hand quickly are far more important. A slow delivery (Tebow) can be a real problem, though. Safeties look at the QB, and that extra second during the delivery can allow them to cover a lot of ground.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
BB not a liability? How do we know he's not a liability?
Funny you say O-line is a concern... Jackson is gone. I think this OL has chemistry continuing from last year.
Probably the same way you reason that the O-Line isn't a liability. You don't know for sure until they bash face-guards with the USC D-line, but you take all the data at your disposal and make semi-educated guesses. We saw what 1 iffy guard can do on the O-line and we get to replace him....who's to say the next guy in line will do any better? I think he was saying that given what we know about Barnett from his measurables, highschool performance, perceived growth during the season, what others are saying about him as a player, person and as a teammate - he stands a chance of not only managing games well, but being a star.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
About his release, few guys as slight as he don't need some windup. A few can - Namath comes to mind, although he was bigger than BB - but it's hard to beat muscle mass. I was watching Cam throw the ball yesterday, looking like he was tossing a potato, and I though about the 250lb and 6'6" behind it. I don't think I've seen anyone throw a ball like that since Jamarcus...
Yes, the ease that he can dominate a game is sickening. I had a feeling once he "matured on the field", he would start winning, and here you go. He is a true freak force of nature I hate to say. Makes it look easy as pie.

And there are a few later round guys starting in the NFL with unorthodox, little slower throwing motion that are doing just fine. I am sure BB will get better, but he has arm strength.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What he said below in bold:

Probably the same way you reason that the O-Line isn't a liability. You don't know for sure until they bash face-guards with the USC D-line, but you take all the data at your disposal and make semi-educated guesses. We saw what 1 iffy guard can do on the O-line and we get to replace him....who's to say the next guy in line will do any better? I think he was saying that given what we know about Barnett from his measurables, highschool performance, perceived growth during the season, what others are saying about him as a player, person and as a teammate - he stands a chance of not only managing games well, but being a star.
Exactly what I was thinking...thanks

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
It's a little bit of an odd situation, because I think we run a different offense behind BB than we do CB. Historically Saban has put the upper classman in the lead role until someone overtakes him. It'll be an interesting spring. Usually, I would say it doesn't matter that much in the Saban system, but with far more proven talent at receiver than RB this year, I think it matters more than it has previously. I think they'd prefer it if someone stepped up and obviously took the job. My guess is CLK would really like it if that guy was BB and he could chunk it all over the field.

And watching what Sims did over the course of the summer, I'm not sure I'll know all that much more after A Day.

So I'd rate CB and BB about even at 2-1. DC about 6-1. JH No odds. Absent the injury bug biting hard, he's headed for a redshirt year with special attention from CSC.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
SIAP - a play by play breakdown of every snap Cooper Bateman took during the Ole Miss game. Several big plays could have been made if Cooper made the right read..
http://houndstoothheroes.com/study-hall-with-professor-ben-what-do-we-know-about-cooper-bateman/
It definitely seems like they were trying to hilight the read option....which he never tucked. Almost no passing reads needed. Had a few nice passes. Only 1 AWFUL decision with the INT. Hard to tell indeed. I will say - I feel like the biggest pro in a QB this season will be who can read defenses better? Who can make progressions? I can't stand that - "if there are 6 in the box throw the bubble". I'm not a package play guy...they are crutches for QB's who can't process a defense competently. I'm hoping there is progress with these guys during the offseason to get them comfortable knowing what do in their offensive scheme when they see cover 2 in one play, sky the next play and robber the next play. The ability to see safety rotations, pick up corner blitzes. I'm probably asking WAY too much from any of these guys...but a guy can dream.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Let' see, he's tall, he's fast, and he has a great arm. As has been mentioned he's showed good leadership qualities as well.

Does that mean he's a sure thing? No, it doesn't but he's as close to a sure thing as Nick Saban has had at quarterback in my opinion.
Mind you, I was one of the guys who supported Coker last year throughout, and not someone who thought the redshirt should have been pulled off of Barnett. I thought he needed that year getting prepared for SEC defenses. He's had it now though and there's real potential for Alabama to have a game changer at quarterback now.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Let' see, he's tall, he's fast, and he has a great arm. As has been mentioned he's showed good leadership qualities as well.

Does that mean he's a sure thing? No, it doesn't but he's as close to a sure thing as Nick Saban has had at quarterback in my opinion.
Mind you, I was one of the guys who supported Coker last year throughout, and not someone who thought the redshirt should have been pulled off of Barnett. I thought he needed that year getting prepared for SEC defenses. He's had it now though and there's real potential for Alabama to have a game changer at quarterback now.
Yep AND he got the thumbs up from Reggie Ragland during the postseason practices for the great job he did running the Scout Team last year against the best defense in the country.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Funny you say O-line is a concern... Jackson is gone. I think this OL has chemistry continuing from last year. It's not like we're replacing 4 starters on OL. I think whoever the QB is, they will be fine. here's another thought: Dual Qb system...
I'm not a fan of the Dual QB system. The team either has chemistry with 'THE GUY', or you are playing the wrong QB.
It's too easy for Defenses to see the 'Running QB' enter the game and change their Defense. It's too easy for Defenses to see the 'Long Passer' enter the game and adjust accordingly.
Nothing wrong with TWO QB, cause we need someone waiting, just in case.

I EXPECT WHOEVER GETS THE STARTING JOB, TO DO WELL EARLY ON, AND GREAT LATER...

I ALSO EXPECT OUR OFFENSIVE LINE TO BE, NOT JUST GOOD, BUT VERY GOOD.

I'm expecting another good year coming up. We have the Defense, We have the Offense, and We have the coaches to again go all the way... If our guys buy in and work hard.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I love the big guys, and the guys with muscle. Too many 'Skinny Guys' can't take the pounding.
I'm also a fan of 'The Tough Guys'. You can't measure 'Heart'. Guess my likes go along with Scott's Strength and Conditioning program, and a great Nutrition Program.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Yep AND he got the thumbs up from Reggie Ragland during the postseason practices for the great job he did running the Scout Team last year against the best defense in the country.
Never hurts to get the 'ATTA-BOYS' from our Defensive guys. After all they played against him in practice for a year...
Those guys know whether he's starting material, or not ready for prime time.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
In my experience throw motion is somewhat meaningless except that the side arm thing will get some of your passes batted down, as will being short. What is critical is reading defenses, making good decisions and release speed. One thing that made Sims so good was his fast release. What eventually doomed our season though was that Sims didn't get better past mid season. He peaked early and just didn't get better. What made Coker a champion wasn't his quick release (he didn't have one) but he just got better every time he played.

So looking forward what I'm looking for is a guy that is going to get better every time he plays and who has a quick release.

I will be curious to see how Barnett has improved.
I will be curious to see if Cornwell can make a comeback from last year's issue, whatever that was.
I don't have much faith in Bateman though the last two seasons that means he will be the starter.
Hurt I expect to redshirt.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Odds are Coach Saban, et al will select the QB who will be the most effective for the Tide to roll in 2016 for #17.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In my experience throw motion is somewhat meaningless except that the side arm thing will get some of your passes batted down, as will being short. What is critical is reading defenses, making good decisions and release speed. One thing that made Sims so good was his fast release. What eventually doomed our season though was that Sims didn't get better past mid season. He peaked early and just didn't get better. What made Coker a champion wasn't his quick release (he didn't have one) but he just got better every time he played.

So looking forward what I'm looking for is a guy that is going to get better every time he plays and who has a quick release.

I will be curious to see how Barnett has improved.
I will be curious to see if Cornwell can make a comeback from last year's issue, whatever that was.
I don't have much faith in Bateman though the last two seasons that means he will be the starter.
Hurt I expect to redshirt.
What's exciting to me about the possibility of BB is how CLK put JC and, the year before Blake Sims, in positions to be successful despite some of their limitations. Not saying BB doesn't have limitations because everyone does in some way, but BB is arguably more talented and has more tools than JC or BS and it's truly exciting to think about how CLK will eventually be able to open his playbook even more with BB.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
I'm not a fan of the Dual QB system. The team either has chemistry with 'THE GUY', or you are playing the wrong QB.
It's too easy for Defenses to see the 'Running QB' enter the game and change their Defense. It's too easy for Defenses to see the 'Long Passer' enter the game and adjust accordingly.
Nothing wrong with TWO QB, cause we need someone waiting, just in case.

I EXPECT WHOEVER GETS THE STARTING JOB, TO DO WELL EARLY ON, AND GREAT LATER...

I ALSO EXPECT OUR OFFENSIVE LINE TO BE, NOT JUST GOOD, BUT VERY GOOD.

I'm expecting another good year coming up. We have the Defense, We have the Offense, and We have the coaches to again go all the way... If our guys buy in and work hard.

That does seem to be the sticking point, the year after a NC...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Strange but true, the University of Alabama coach who saw the most of quarterback Blake Barnett during practices last season might have been defensive coordinator Kirby Smart.

Being a true freshman on the way to redshirting, Barnett was the primary scout team quarterback during the Crimson Tide’s national championship run, and his style of play each week depended on the opponent.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...view-for-crimson-tides-2016-qb-battle?ref=yfp

Nothing really new, I suppose, but I feel good that we have some great talent to choose from. The winner has a great shot at #17, IMO.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
KIffin was also the reason Cooper started against Ole Miss because he clearly preferred him early on to Jake. But he recruited Barnett. So the Kiffin factor, like all interesting things in life, may be more complicated than it seems.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.