Odds on Bama Starting QB Next Year - Post Yours and Reason Why

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
Barnett. First of all he will win the job. I think with his talent, his ability to pass and run just puts so much pressure on a defense. So many starters on defense had nothing but praise for him. I think he's the best QB signee CNS has ever had and he was not signed to sit on the bench.

Barnett won't be given the job. He will earn it.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Cornwell is the man next year.
I wouldn't be surprised if he does win the starting job, he fits the classic drop back Pro Style QB, we're used to under Coach Saban & he has all the tools to be a great college QB..It's all up to him & if he stays in favor of our coaching staff..

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Whoever it ends up being, I would almost gurantee that it looks similar to this years qb battle. Conflicting info from practices and scrimmages and a time share for one or two games.

I'm gonna take a guess and say Barnett, but Bateman has a big leg up in time in the system
I hope you're wrong about it looking/sounding like last year. Because Coker nor Bateman won the job (or the team to use CNS's words), we were uncertain about "who" we were by game 3 against OM.

It worked itself out, and in some ways, you could argue the loss against OM solidified the "team" and that was the game Coker won the job and team.

However, I'd prefer for us to find the guy, hopefully during the spring and/or fall camp, and for him to just take the job over and own it.

FWIW, I'd say Barnett has a leg up based on the hype, most of which he created with his HS career, Elite 11 camp results and good things we heard coming from his time running the scout team last year.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Here is Barnett throwing the ball at the Elite 11 camp in 2014. Looks to me like he is rugged for his size, even then.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Plenty of QBs have come through here with great hype, I'm going to trust Saban and Kiffin make the right decision. I don't care who it is or what he did in high school as long as we win.

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
I hope you're wrong about it looking/sounding like last year. Because Coker nor Bateman won the job (or the team to use CNS's words), we were uncertain about "who" we were by game 3 against OM.

It worked itself out, and in some ways, you could argue the loss against OM solidified the "team" and that was the game Coker won the job and team.

However, I'd prefer for us to find the guy, hopefully during the spring and/or fall camp, and for him to just take the job over and own it.

I think most Bama fans feel this way, if not most fans in general. But isn't it nice to know that we have a coaching staff that can this type of situation?!?!

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
His windup though....It needs to be tightened up and get the ball out faster.
It does need some work, it's probably ok to get going in college, not pro, but he putting some velocity on it and has a nice whipping motion that really hurls it out there. I hope Kiffin stays long enough to work with him in game.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
Barnett- 65
Cornwell-25
Bateman-10

Not a fan of Bateman, looks like a deer in headlights out there. Not SEC material. Barnett is our stud. Let's let CLK build the offense around him and have this thing on lock down 3 more years.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
If that's what you're worried about then I would say we have it pretty good considering Coker's release. Maybe rotating up instead of back but it's by no means a lethargic release.
Wasn't BB been working with a personal QB coach during the summer? Would imagine his release is a bit more refined if so. Either way, the "Problem?" with his release is fixable. O-line is more of a concern for me.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wasn't BB been working with a personal QB coach during the summer? Would imagine his release is a bit more refined if so. Either way, the "Problem?" with his release is fixable. O-line is more of a concern for me.
Funny you say O-line is a concern... Jackson is gone. I think this OL has chemistry continuing from last year. It's not like we're replacing 4 starters on OL. I think whoever the QB is, they will be fine. here's another thought: Dual Qb system...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't know, and I wouldn't put much stock in the opinions here anyway. This same board had Coker getting the job because Sims was not capable of passing and then had Coker not getting it this past year because he couldn't read defenses or run like Sims.

Quarterback may matter less under Nick Saban than under any other coach in America. He won an SEC title with Rohan Davey, a national title with a guy who became a doctor, and turned JP Wilson from the guy who cost us games to the guy who managed the games well, won a title with McElroy, and made the playoff with Blake Sims.

I'm honestly not worried about it to tell you the truth.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know, and I wouldn't put much stock in the opinions here anyway. This same board had Coker getting the job because Sims was not capable of passing and then had Coker not getting it this past year because he couldn't read defenses or run like Sims.

Quarterback may matter less under Nick Saban than under any other coach in America. He won an SEC title with Rohan Davey, a national title with a guy who became a doctor, and turned JP Wilson from the guy who cost us games to the guy who managed the games well, won a title with McElroy, and made the playoff with Blake Sims.

I'm honestly not worried about it to tell you the truth.
You are right to say "it's not a worry." But I think alot of us think Blake Barnett may be the guy who is not a liability, so to speak.

AJ was a great 3 year starter...if BB can win the job, we might have a qb who is a true strength and major offensive weapon.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You are right to say "it's not a worry." But I think alot of us think Blake Barnett may be the guy who is not a liability, so to speak.

AJ was a great 3 year starter...if BB can win the job, we might have a qb who is a true strength and major offensive weapon.
BB not a liability? How do we know he's not a liability?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
About his release, few guys as slight as he don't need some windup. A few can - Namath comes to mind, although he was bigger than BB - but it's hard to beat muscle mass. I was watching Cam throw the ball yesterday, looking like he was tossing a potato, and I though about the 250lb and 6'6" behind it. I don't think I've seen anyone throw a ball like that since Jamarcus...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.