Tyren Jones to South Carolina

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Tyren Jones to SC

I thought I had heard that as well...

If true, would've loved to have been a fly on the wall...
I heard it also. I guess he knows about Pettway's comeback and all, but he would have to work his way back up the depth chart. I don't know how much headway he could make against Scarborough and Harris. I agree that a fresh start is best...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I thought I had heard that as well...

If true, would've loved to have been a fly on the wall...
He was in a loaded backfield
RUSHING
GP
Att
Gain
Loss
Net
Avg
TD
Long
Avg/G
PAULK, Treyvon
JONES, Tyren
GRIFFIN, Tre
MIDDLETON, Blaik
MCKINZY, Dimonic
KING, Tre
PAUL-DAVIS, Ethan
BOWMAN, DeQuan
STALLINGS, Tanner
JONES, Trayvon
ARCEO, Louie
MARKLEY, Drake
BURDITT, Nathan
BINN, Kylen
TEAM

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

I heard it also. I guess he knows about Pettway's comeback and all, but he would have to work his way back up the depth chart. I don't know how much headway he could make against Scarborough and Harris. I agree that a fresh start is best...
My info just came from local radio here. They said he reached out to Bama and they did discuss a return, but at the end of the day Bama felt it was time for him to move on. Like you said, fresh start probably for the best. I don't know much about his problems at Bama other than at least one incident was pot-related. I hope he has his head on straight, because USC is in great need of an SEC-caliber RB right now (and for the sake of the kid too).

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

My info just came from local radio here. They said he reached out to Bama and they did discuss a return, but at the end of the day Bama felt it was time for him to move on. Like you said, fresh start probably for the best. I don't know much about his problems at Bama other than at least one incident was pot-related. I hope he has his head on straight, because USC is in great need of an SEC-caliber RB right now (and for the sake of the kid too).
If his head is on straight, you have one imo. He is better off somewhere without 2 strikes against him, and I will enjoy watching him run in east somewhere. And he didn't get his legs run off last year and should come in and be a top 5 back the league, or higher.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

South Carolina is much like Alabama, a state that doesn't produce a large number of blue chip recruits every year as compared to Florida or Georgia. Also both USCe and Alabama have to compete against a major in state rival for those recruits which most other SEC do not. Historically USCe has recruited heavily in GA, FL and NC to supplement in state recruits. I fully expect CWM to do the same, but see him expanding his reach into VA and other southern states. I am not saying USCe will suddenly dominate the SEC, but given a few recruiting classes I expect them to be an SEC East contender and go toe to toe with Clemson.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

I think he is good enough that had he been able to stay, DH wouldn't have had to tote the rock 90 times over a 2 game stretch. He would have seen real PT this year for us.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

South Carolina is much like Alabama, a state that doesn't produce a large number of blue chip recruits every year as compared to Florida or Georgia. Also both USCe and Alabama have to compete against a major in state rival for those recruits which most other SEC do not. Historically USCe has recruited heavily in GA, FL and NC to supplement in state recruits. I fully expect CWM to do the same, but see him expanding his reach into VA and other southern states. I am not saying USCe will suddenly dominate the SEC, but given a few recruiting classes I expect them to be an SEC East contender and go toe to toe with Clemson.
We turn out better recruits than most think (Alabama that is). Of course not the number FL and GA does but our population is not as high. But if you look at the recruits we churn out every year it's pretty high for such a small state.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

We turn out better recruits than most think (Alabama that is). Of course not the number FL and GA does but our population is not as high. But if you look at the recruits we churn out every year it's pretty high for such a small state.
Agree, Alabama is a great state for recruiting. What was described fits Tennessee better. We are are especially blessed with big fast defensive players. In the old days we could recruit mainly Alabama and snag a few from surrounding states. Some places are just hot beds for positions, like south Florida with receivers.

http://crimsontider.com/recruiting/71-79.pdf

http://crimsontider.com/recruiting/90-96Recruiting.pdf

Last edited:

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL

This is a huge pick up for Muschamp. While I have expressed many times on here my distaste for CWM, do not go to sleep on USCe in the future, maybe not this coming season, but IMO with the staff he has put together Dabo's job just got a whole lot tougher. He will broaden his recruiting base and, unlike SOS, loves to recruit. I also suspect he learned a lot from his tenure at Florida and won't make the same mistakes again. Time will tell.
A much-overlooked aspect of Clemson's rise is USCe's fall. From a coaching perspective, SOS was a thorn in Dabo's side, and USCe ALMOST got 'em this year in a shocker. But from a recruiting perspective, it was nolo contendre. SOS just didn't want/like to do it. Dabo didn't have a state rival to worry about. Not that it made it easy for Dabo, but it certainly made it easiER.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

A much-overlooked aspect of Clemson's rise is USCe's fall. From a coaching perspective, SOS was a thorn in Dabo's side, and USCe ALMOST got 'em this year in a shocker. But from a recruiting perspective, it was nolo contendre. SOS just didn't want/like to do it. Dabo didn't have a state rival to worry about. Not that it made it easy for Dabo, but it certainly made it easiER.
Exactly, I will say it again, South Carolina is the Auburn or Mississippi State and Clemson is the big dog historically. You have to be a great recruiter to win, Spurrier had a name when he started, but by the time he left, the recruits were too young to remember the Fun n' Gun and he had no advantage. My grandfather played guard for Clemson, so I kept up with them as a kid.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

He turned out to be a WOULDA, SHOULDA, COULDA kind of player for us...
It's a shame because he had the potential. He just let himself get in the way of becoming a star at Alabama.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

This kid has the goods. What a bummer.
He ran hard every play and has the ability to find the hole and follow blockers, great high step, shifty and quick, not sure what his 4th gear was, but he looked as good as the other greats as Freshman, or redshirt. Think he would be an excellent punt returner, the most important thing is setting up the first to miss and then either getting another 10 or more taking to the house. It hurt when I found he was dismissed because I had followed him so closely since signing.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

Spurrier actually built a good recruiting staff at USC, but it fell apart around 2012 with departure of Johnson, Lawling, Beamer, and one or two others. Problem was Spurrier replaced them with guys who evidently did not like to leave the house much in terms of recruiting, and then he made the ultimate coaching mistake and promoted Spurrier Jr. to recruiting coordinator, which was a disaster that had as much to do with USC's fall as anything else. SOS's earlier USC classes (2007-2011) put a lot of players in the NFL, he just failed to keep it going.

dabamafan

2nd Team
May 8, 2002
murfreesboro,tn USA

Interesting and informative posts. From an armchair perspective, how many yards would you suppose Tyren would amass against our D? And for that matter how about D Henry? Purely speculative I know , just curious .

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

Jones is a good back, he has lateral movement that is simply a gift,you can't coach it. Hope it works out for him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.