News Article: Chris Black on Alabama Offense

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
looking for a school where he can "catch as many balls as I can."

"I feel like I've been caged for these past three years. Now, I'm ready to break out."

"always felt like the system didn't fit my type of skill set."

You're right Chris...with that attitude, you weren't right for this system. Maybe you and O.J. Howard should have hung out more. Transferring is one thing...but blaming others for your inability to produce is not a classy way to leave a program that has found ways to develop talent into Heisman winners, Biletnikoff winners and Pro-Bowlers, consistently.

Don't blame the system bud.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sounds like he had every chance for at least two seasons, but just wasn't good enough. It happens.
Really? He was behind guys with more experience than him. Heck, Cooper needed Dee White to tear his ACL in order to get more playing time in 2012. What do you expect Chris to do?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Really? He was behind guys with more experience than him. Heck, Cooper needed Dee White to tear his ACL in order to get more playing time in 2012. What do you expect Chris to do?
Make the most of every opportunity afforded to him. And if his injuries prevented him from playing at 100% or if it just doesn't work out, don't blame the system. Alec Morris just transferred out and nobody heard him say "I always felt like the system didn't fit my skill-set" or "I feel like I've been caged these past 3 years." He got it. He put in his time...he paid his dues but wanted to go somewhere where he could get a chance to get on the field and play the game he loves. I don't think a single person has a problem with Chris Black transferring to a place where he can get on the field for his final season...but to make comments like he was somehow squandered or he wasn't properly considered by his coaches like Billy Napier or Saban, or that this staff doesn't know how to properly utilize a slot guy just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We haven't really been about a dedicated slot receiver type but this season it was a part of the offense due to the graduate transfer Mullaney. If he thinks his skillset is more fit for a team who has a place for dedicated interior receivers, then I guess he's probably right. He's also probably miffed that we made a move in the off-season for a plug n' play interior receiver in the only season under Saban when it has been a roster role in the offense.

Saban always seemed positive about Chris Black, so I'm surprised he has the sour grapes. At either rate, we've always seemed to prefer WRs who can play the outside positions at a high level while using the slot positions for formational mismatches. It is tough to be a dedicated slot type in this formation multiple offense. Mullaney probably wasn't used enough this season but he was a very pigeon-holed player in his role. When it became clear that the offense would be about bodying up on teams and running the ball, his touches went down dramatically.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
According to your timeline it looks like Christion Jones beat him out in 2014. Was Black injured then or did he just get beat out? If my memory serves me CJ was a three star.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That kinda goes to my point about the WR position here: they prefer the body types that fit within the X/Y positions and the slot position is really just a spot for mismatching teams on our best receiver.

Christion Jones had the body type to line up all game at X or Y if need be which allows you to more comfortably align Cooper in the slot. If you have a guy who is really allergic to press man coverage, you probably don't want him out wide.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
According to your timeline it looks like Christion Jones beat him out in 2014. Was Black injured then or did he just get beat out? If my memory serves me CJ was a three star.
JMO, but I think playing CJones that year was more about seniority and continuity than anything else. I think that was a mistake. CJones did not have a good year at all. Hard to believe that Black could not have been more effective than CJones that year..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Make the most of every opportunity afforded to him. And if his injuries prevented him from playing at 100% or if it just doesn't work out, don't blame the system. Alec Morris just transferred out and nobody heard him say "I always felt like the system didn't fit my skill-set" or "I feel like I've been caged these past 3 years." He got it. He put in his time...he paid his dues but wanted to go somewhere where he could get a chance to get on the field and play the game he loves. I don't think a single person has a problem with Chris Black transferring to a place where he can get on the field for his final season...but to make comments like he was somehow squandered or he wasn't properly considered by his coaches like Billy Napier or Saban, or that this staff doesn't know how to properly utilize a slot guy just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
Exactly....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Not bashing LEOs, just saying that your experience with both journalists and law enforcement will always go better when you only say the necessary and avoid any extra "color." That is when LEOs usually start suspecting things and when journalists start twisting things.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Chris may have been listed a 6'200, but I'd suggest he was closer to 5-10 and 185 to 190 max. He is a small guy in the Javi Arenas mold and when you have players who catch the ball better, you end up with very few snaps. In his defense, he was rated higher than Cooper when they came in together, but he got injured and never seemed to get back on track. The timing of his injuries contributed to his lack of playing time as well. Hope he does well wherever he lands.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You mean the same Christion Jones that was in his fourth year as a contributor?

JMO, but I think playing CJones that year was more about seniority and continuity than anything else. I think that was a mistake. CJones did not have a good year at all. Hard to believe that Black could not have been more effective than CJones that year..
Bingo. Jones was more about seniority than anything else.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Earn a starting spot by being better than the other players at your position.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For a guy so ungrateful and lazy, Chris sure is trying to go out of his way to explain things...

@AaronSuttles Unsolicited, Chris Black just called me, said he has nothing but appreciation for Alabama. He just wants to play in '16. Story coming asap.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
For a guy so ungrateful and lazy, Chris sure is trying to go out of his way to explain things...
I'm sure there is some sincerity in there but probably some damage control also from the negative perception of the earlier story..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.